Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Open Tennis
Stories 1 - 20 |
Training Room Racket Smash
Causes a Fuss in Tennis
Sep 11, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
Training Room Racket Smash Causes a Fuss in Tennis
Aryna Sabalenka vents in players' room afterward, raising privacy questions
- Aryna Sabalenka has had such a strong year in tennis that she will be ranked No. 1 on Monday even after losing the US Open final over the weekend to American Coco Gauff. But that loss nevertheless stung for the 25-year-old Belarussian, as video from the players' dressing room after...
Wins US Open
Sep 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Novak Djokovic Wins US Open
Getting his 24th Grand Slam title
- Halfway through a second set that lasted 1 hour, 44 minutes, a test of tenacity as much as talent amid a US Open final as exhausting as it was exhilarating, Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev engaged each other in a 32-stroke point. It was among many such elongated exchanges between...
Tennis Has a
Sep 10, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
Tennis Has a Recycling Problem
Tennis balls can't be recycled, and experts are grappling with how to manage that waste
- Tennis has a fuzzy yellow problem most players don't think about when they open can after can of fresh balls, or when umpires at US Open matches make their frequent requests for "new balls please." Because tennis balls are extremely hard to recycle and the industry has...
Coco Gauff Takes US Open
Sep 9, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Coco Gauff Takes US Open
19-year-old beats Aryna Sabalenka for her first Grand Slam title
- Coco Gauff set aside a so-so start and surged to her first Grand Slam title at age 19, coming back to defeat Aryna Sabalenka 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the US Open final on Saturday to the delight of a raucous crowd that was loud from start to finish. Gauff, who...
Fan Booted From
US Open After
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Fan Booted From US Open After Yelling Something 'Unbelievable'
'He just said the most famous Hitler phrase there is,' complained German player Alexander Zverev
- The US Open was temporarily marred by a fan incident that ended up getting said fan thrown out of the annual tennis championships in Queens, New York. Yahoo Sports reports that Germany's Alexander Zverev was well on his way to beating Italy's Jannik Sinker on Monday evening, but...
Protester Glues Feet
to Floor at US Open
Sep 8, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Protester Glues Feet to Floor at US Open
4 protesters were removed from stands before semi-final match could continue
- Coco Gauff's US Open semifinal victory over Karolina Muchova was delayed by 50 minutes because of a disruption by four environmental activists in the Arthur Ashe Stadium stands Thursday night. One protester glued his bare feet to the concrete floor, per the AP . Gauff was leading 1-0 in the...
Disney Relents After Players
Say They Want Their ESPN
Sep 7, 2023 6:30 PM CDT
Disney Relents After Players Say They Want Their ESPN
US Open competitors were unable to watch their rivals play because of Disney-Charter lockout
- A lot of people complained when Disney cut off its ESPN programming from Charter Spectrum last week during a dispute over fees. But the company was listening when tennis stars such as Coco Gauff and Daniil Medvedev publicly objected to not being able to watch their rivals' matches at the...
3 Years and 2 Children
Pulls Off an Upset
Aug 31, 2023 5:42 PM CDT
3 Years and 2 Children Later, Wozniacki Pulls Off an Upset
Victory over 11th seed sends former World No. 1 to third round of US Open
- Just two rounds into the US Open, Caroline Wozniacki dispelled any doubts about whether the former World No. 1 could return to top form after a three-year absence from the tour that included the births of her two children. She did that by defeating 11th-seeded Petra Kvitová on Wednesday night...
'Sometimes You Smell Food,
Sometimes You Smell Weed'
Aug 28, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
'Sometimes You Smell Food, Sometimes You Smell Weed'
Marijuana odor wafted from park to US Open court, player says
- Even while she was rolling on the court, Maria Sakkari couldn't help noticing the smell of something off it. "It was weed," Sakkari said. The No. 8 seed from Greece was eliminated from the US Open in the first round Monday with a 6-4, 6-4 loss to...
50 Years Ago, She Took
a Stand, and It Worked
Aug 26, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
50 Years Ago, She Took a Stand, and It Worked
Billie Jean King demanded female players at US Open earn the same as men
- When Billie Jean King won the US Open in 1972, she didn't make the usual remarks about hoping to win again. Instead, she threatened to not play at all the next year—and added that no other women would, either. That's because she earned $10,000 for her...
World No. 1 Breaks
US Open Drought
Sep 10, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
World No. 1 Breaks US Open Drought
Iga Swiatek overcomes Ons Jabeur and the distractions of New York City
- Iga Swiatek had never made it so far as the quarterfinals in the US Open. Her dry run ended Saturday, when the top seed and World No. 1 player defeated Ons Jabeur in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5). Swiatek, 21, rolled through the first set, the
With Tiafoe, US Tennis
Is in Good Hands
Sep 10, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
With Tiafoe, US Tennis Is in Good Hands
This could be fun, Dan Wolken writes
- Angst about the future of men's tennis once Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic—who have dominated the sport for years—now appears needless. Carlos Alcaraz and Frances Tiafoe provided a 4 hour, 19 minute demonstration of that on Friday night, Dan Wolken writes in
Haircut Prank Frees Up
a Pair of Seats at US Open
Sep 7, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Haircut Prank Frees Up a Pair of Seats at US Open
YouTuber disrupts Kyrgios-Khachanov quarterfinal
- It's not easy to look away from Nick Kyrgios during a close tennis match. The volatile Australian demonstrated why in his loss to Karen Khachanov on Tuesday night at the US Open. In addition to often playing terrifically, he yelled at his team in the stands, threw things, and...
3 Rackets in
US Open Exit
Sep 7, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
Kyrgios Smashes 3 Rackets in US Open Exit
Australian tennis player, already handed tournament's biggest fine ever, is 'devastated'
- Nick Kyrgios disappointed himself and his fans early Wednesday, losing to Russia's Karen Khachanov in five sets in the US Open quarterfinals, but not those who'd come out for his antics. Having missed out on his best chance yet at a Grand Slam title, the Australian tennis player...
Williams Sisters Form
Doubles Team at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 9:30 PM CDT
Williams Sisters Form Doubles Team at US Open
Sibling stars lose in first round
Serena and Venus Williams lost in the first round of doubles at the US Open Thursday night, their first time playing together in 4 1/2 years. "I’m so sorry for you that we beat them, but we are so happy that we did it," said Lucie...
Kyrgios Has Unusual
Complaint at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Kyrgios Has Unusual Complaint at US Open
Umpire warned crowd against smoking after the 'heavy asthmatic' complained about pot smoke
- An umpire at the US Open warned the crowd not to smoke marijuana on Wednesday following a complaint from Australian player Nick Kyrgios. There was "a strong party vibe" in the crowd at New York's Louis Armstrong Arena as the Wimbledon finalist faced France's Benjamin Bonzi in...
Upset Victory Is for Ukraine
Aug 29, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Upset Victory Is for Ukraine
Daria Snigur defeats Simona Halep at US Open
- It took a bit for Daria Snigur to grasp what she'd just accomplished. "When I was in the moment, I didn't understand what happened," she said after her US Open match Monday, the
New York Times
reports. The Ukrainian, No. 124 in the world, had just...
Aug 9, 2022 9:07 AM CDT
Serena Williams 'Evolving Away From Tennis'
Tennis great is sounding like she's retiring, looking to focus on her family and business ventures
- Serena Williams says she's ready to step away from tennis after winning 23 Grand Slam titles, turning her focus to her business interests and having another child, reports the AP . "I'm turning 41 ... and something's got to give," Williams wrote in an essay released Tuesday...
Have Shots to
Play in US Open
Jun 25, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Djokovic Won't Have Shots to Play in US Open
That decision would make Wimbledon the defending champion's last Grand Slam tournament of year
- Novak Djokovic knows that, as things stand now, Wimbledon will be his last Grand Slam tournament of 2022, because he will not be able to play in the US Open—he has not received any COVID-19 shots and can't enter the US as an unvaccinated foreigner. "That,"...
Medvedev Ends Djokovic's
Bid for Grand Slam Sweep
Sep 13, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
Medvedev Ends Djokovic's Bid for Grand Slam Sweep
Daniil Medvedev beats Novak Djokovic at US Open
- A game from the end of his bid for what would have been the first calendar-year Grand Slam in men’s tennis since 1969, Novak Djokovic covered his face with a towel, hiding his tears during a changeover. For 27 Grand Slam matches in 2021, on hard courts, clay courts,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
Dad of 3 Killed on His Way to His High School Reunion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.