Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Car-Building Process
May Soon Be Upended
Sep 15, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
The Car-Building Process May Soon Be Upended
Tesla is mulling a 3D-printing move that could decrease production costs big time
- Tesla is working behind the curtain on a new manufacturing process that the Verge notes could prove to be a "huge industrial breakthrough." Multiple sources tell Reuters that the EV company is playing around with a new process that would allow it to die-cast pretty much the entire...
7 Tesla Rivals
Team Up on EV
Jul 27, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
7 Tesla Rivals Team Up on EV Fast Chargers
30K new charging points coming to US and Canada, though the wait could be long
- Electric vehicle owners can shed some of their "range anxiety" as seven major automakers are teaming up to bring many more DC fast chargers to North America—at a cost of more than $1 billion. There are 32,000 publicly available DC fast chargers, also known as Level 3...
BMW's New 5 Series 'Looks
a Bit Upset About Something'
May 26, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
BMW's New 5 Series 'Looks a Bit Upset About Something'
An updated aesthetic, plus drivers in rejuvenated sedans can change lanes using their eyes
- The new BMW 5 Series has arrived, and the German luxury carmaker has introduced "quite a few firsts" into this eighth-generation sedan, per the BBC's
. For one, the series boasts an aesthetic that's morphed from a "sensible, small-c-conservative four-door into a shark-nosed electric firecracker,...
Ford Cuts EV Prices
Despite $722M Loss
May 3, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Ford Cuts EV Prices Despite $722M Loss
Company says it has boosted Mach-E production capacity
- Ford's "Model e" electric vehicle unit lost $722 million in the first quarter of this year, but the company is pushing ahead with price cuts to its electric Mustang Mach-E SUV. Quartz reports that the company announced price cuts of between $1,000 and $4,000 across the...
GM: No More Chevy Bolt
Apr 26, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
GM: No More Chevy Bolt
Automaker is yanking its signature EV at the end of this year, despite high demand
- If you want a cheap electric vehicle, your time is waning quickly to get in on the $24,000 Chevy Bolt (which comes with a federal tax credit of $7,500). It's not often that manufacturers pull the plug on a product that's "clocking record highs,"...
New Tailpipe Rule
Could Boost EV Sales
Apr 12, 2023 4:28 PM CDT
'Aggressive' New Tailpipe Rule Could Boost EV Sales
EPA proposal could require up to two-thirds of new vehicles to be electric by 2032
- The Biden administration is proposing strict new automobile pollution limits that would require up to two-thirds of new vehicles sold in the US to be electric by 2032, a nearly tenfold increase over current electric vehicle sales. The proposed regulation, announced Wednesday by the EPA, would set tailpipe emissions limits...
Jan 16, 2023 5:15 PM CST
Electric Vehicles Power Past Sales Milestone
They accounted for 10% of new vehicles sales worldwide last year
- Electric vehicles powered past a major milestone last year, reaching 10% of market share for the first time amid a broader decline in sales of new vehicles. While sales of new electric vehicles in the US are lagging behind, at just under 6%, the LMC Automotive research group says EVs...
Toyota Wants to
Convert Old Cars
Jan 13, 2023 5:35 PM CST
Toyota Wants to Convert Old Cars to Electric
Conversion offers a faster way to zero-emission vehicles, says CEO Akio Toyoda
- To accelerate the global move toward sustainable vehicles, Toyota is suggesting simply replacing the inner workings of vehicles already on the roads with cleaner technology like fuel cells and electric motors. "I don't want to leave any car lover behind," Chief Executive Akio Toyoda said Friday, per...
Teslas in the US Just
Got Less Expensive
Jan 13, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Teslas in the US Just Got Less Expensive
There are sudden big price drops on Model 3, Model Y cars in US, Europe as demand slows
- Last week, Tesla announced it was slashing the prices on all of its Model 3 and Model Y vehicles in China, in an attempt to keep up with a demand slowdown spurred by a slumping economy. Now, the US and Europe are getting a similar deal: Mashable reports the electric...
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk
Has a Message for Staff
Dec 29, 2022 9:50 AM CST
As Tesla Stock Tanks, Musk Has a Message for Staff
CEO assures employees that, one day, 'Tesla will be the most valuable company on Earth!'
- Short sellers are celebrating Tesla's plummeting stock prices , but investors aren't happy, and they're now begging CEO Elon Musk—who's sold off billions of dollars worth of his shares to help fund his newest company, Twitter—to stop dumping his stock. Tesla employees are also likely...
Tesla Rival's Flying Car
Makes Its Maiden Flight
Nov 4, 2022 10:04 AM CDT
Tesla Rival's Flying Car Makes Its Maiden Flight
Xpeng's X3 was unveiled late last month, but it's got competition
- A Chinese electric-vehicle manufacturer that's considered a Tesla rival has driven its first flying car out of the garage and into the sky, and its unveiling is spurring buzz across the eVToL (electric vertical takeoff and landing) landscape. NPR reports that Xpeng held its annual Tech Day on Oct....
Sep 9, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Tesla Considers Refining Lithium
Price of battery component has shot up, but supply hasn't
- Supply chain realities involving batteries have driven Tesla to consider building its own lithium hydroxide refining plant. The maker of electric vehicles has filed a notice with Texas saying that it's considering locations in Texas and Louisiana that have access to the Gulf Coast shipping channel. The company said...
Huge Step Toward
'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
Aug 26, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
California Takes Huge Step Toward 'Eliminating the Tailpipe'
State plans to ban sale of new gas-powered cars by 2035
- California has followed up its move to phase out gas-powered mowers with an even more ambitious goal—phasing out gas-powered cars. The California Air Resources Board voted Thursday in favor of banning the sale of new gas-powered cars, pickup trucks, and SUVs by 2035, the AP reports. After that date,...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
Here's How Expensive
It Is to Buy, Own a Car
Aug 18, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Here's How Expensive It Is to Buy, Own a Car
Average price paid for a new vehicle hit the highest on record in July
- It's more expensive than ever to purchase a new vehicle, and keeping it on the road is becoming more costly, too. The average cost of owning a new vehicle is currently $10,728 per year, or $894 per month—up 11% from 2021, according to AAA , which considered the...
Does Your Tesla
for No Reason?
You're Not Alone
Jun 3, 2022 10:22 AM CDT
Does Your Tesla Suddenly Brake for No Reason? You're Not Alone
NHTSA: More than 750 Tesla owners have reported 'phantom braking' phenomenon
- More than 750 Tesla owners have complained to US safety regulators that cars operating on the automaker's partially automated driving systems have suddenly stopped on roadways for no apparent reason. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed the number in a detailed information request letter to Tesla that was...
Spawned From 'Rebellious
DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Jun 2, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Spawned From 'Rebellious DNA,' the DeLorean Is Back
Nearly 40 years after original DeLorean appeared in 'Back to the Future,' the Alpha5 electric version
- There's no Marty McFly behind the wheel, but the DeLorean is back—this time in electric form. Images and specs have been released for the Alpha5 , a concept electric vehicle that features the same signature gull-winged doors as seen in 1985's
Back to the Future
, though with "...
Top-Selling Automaker in US
Unveils New Electric Entry
Apr 12, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Top-Selling Automaker in US Unveils New Electric Entry
The bZ4X small SUV is Toyota's first since 2014
- Toyota, the top-selling automaker in the US, is rolling out its first fully electric vehicle in eight years. The company on Tuesday unveiled the battery-powered bZ4X small SUV, which starts at $42,000 and can go up to 252 miles per charge. The bZ4X, which will be sold globally, adds...
Ford Is Breaking Up
Mar 2, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Ford Is Breaking Up
CEO says restructuring will help company beat the competition in electric vehicles
- Ford will split its electric vehicle and internal combustion operations into two distinct but strategically interdependent businesses as part of a major restructuring to accelerate its adaptation of new technology, the Detroit automaker said Wednesday, adding its transformation into an EV company is accelerating. Ford Model e—to be led...
Tesla Users Find
Out What Happens
When App Doesn't Work
Nov 22, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Tesla Users Find Out What Happens When App Doesn't Work
Drivers worldwide were stranded when apparent outage made them unable to unlock, start their cars
- There's something to be said for a physical key to unlock and start your car. Tesla drivers around the globe found that out last week when the app they use to perform such functions was apparently affected by an outage, leaving them stranded. The BBC reports that just after...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Woman Gets Prison for Giving Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.