Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Morgan Names Royals Who
Made Alleged Racist Comments
Nov 30, 2023 8:19 AM CST
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Book says King Charles, Kate Middleton made remark on skin color of Harry, Meghan's unborn son
- More than two years ago, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, made reference during an interview with Oprah Winfrey about "concerns and conversations" with the royal family about how dark the skin of their then-unborn son Archie would be when he emerged, fueling plenty of rumors about who...
UK Inquiry Can't Explain How
Corpses' Abuser Evaded Arrest
Nov 29, 2023 5:50 PM CST
UK Inquiry Can't Explain How Corpses' Abuser Evaded Arrest
Management, governance failures created the environment for David Fuller's crimes, report says
- A British government-ordered inquiry said Tuesday it found serious failings at hospitals where an electrician who was later convicted of murder had sex with more than 100 corpses over 15 years without being detected. David Fuller's necrophilia was uncovered in 2020 when police used DNA to tie him to...
'Tyranny of the Scales'
Nov 29, 2023 10:20 AM CST
'Tyranny of the Scales' Eliminated From British Gymnastics
British Gymnastics unveils new policies designed to put children's welfare first
- British gymnastics coaches can instruct their gymnasts to do many things. Step on a scale isn't one of them anymore. The BBC reports that new British Gymnastics rules prohibit "harmful" weight-management practices that it described as "on the fringes of abuse." Going forward, no child 10...
UK Has an Unwanted First:
Human Case of Swine Flu
Nov 28, 2023 1:35 PM CST
UK Has an Unwanted First: Human Case of Swine Flu
At least 50 cases have been reported worldwide since 2005, so far with little consequence
- The UK has joined a club it would have rather avoided: countries in which a human caught a case of swine flu. The unidentified patient has fully recovered from what was described as a mild illness, reports
. Health authorities say the person didn't work with pigs—the...
Crane Operator Praised for
Dramatic High-Rise Rescue
Nov 23, 2023 8:00 PM CST
Crane Operator Praised for Dramatic High-Rise Rescue
He saved man from top of burning building
- A crane operator played down tributes paid to him on Thursday after he lifted a man to safety from a burning high-rise building in England. Video from the scene in the town of Reading in southern England showed a man being rescued by a crane cage from the roof of...
In Part of England, the King
Profits From People's Deaths
Nov 23, 2023 1:57 PM CST
In Part of England, the King Profits From People's Deaths
Monarch's property estate receives funds from those who die without wills, next of kin
- The deaths of thousands of people in parts of England have increased the personal wealth of King Charles III, according to a
investigation that might persuade many people—especially those opposed to the monarchy—to write wills. In most of England and Wales, the assets of people who die...
UK: Disabled People
Should Work From Home
or Lose Benefits
Nov 22, 2023 2:18 PM CST
UK: Disabled People Should Work From Home or Lose Benefits
Critics slam 'nasty' Conservative Party
- Critics of the UK's ruling Conservative Party say welfare reforms unveiled Wednesday show why it is nicknamed the "nasty party." Under the new plan, disabled people, including people with mobility or mental health issues, will be instructed to look for work they can do from home or...
Nov 22, 2023 9:26 AM CST
Museum: Roman Emperor Was Transgender
Texts suggest Elagabalus identified as a woman, though historians argue they aren't creditable
- A museum in the UK has made the decision to refer to an ancient Roman emperor as "she" and "her," saying evidence shows Elagabalus, who reigned for four years from AD 218-222, was a transgender woman. The council-run North Hertfordshire Museum in Hitchin, which has a silver...
Iconic Stop-Motion Studio
Pooh-Poohs Ominous Report
Nov 20, 2023 1:05 PM CST
Iconic Stop-Motion Studio Pooh-Poohs Ominous Report
Aardman Animations says it has 'high levels' of clay
- Aardman Animations says it's "touched" by concerns that it might be running out of clay for its stop-motion animation creations—but fans have "absolutely no need to worry." In a post on X on Monday, the British maker of the
Wallace & Gromit
UK Can't Send
Nov 15, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Top Court: UK Can't Send Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Supreme Court decision deals PM Rishi Sunak's policy a big blow
- Britain's Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the government's contentious plan to send some migrants on a one-way trip to Rwanda is illegal, striking a major blow to a key policy of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's government that has drawn international attention and criticism. Five justices on the...
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle'
Sentenced in UK
Nov 13, 2023 1:24 PM CST
Alleged ISIS 'Beatle' Sentenced in UK
Aine Davis was arrested at a UK airport after he finished a 7-year sentence in Turkey
- A man suspected of being the fourth member of the ISIS "Beatles" kidnap gang has been sentenced to eight years in prison in the UK for terror-related offenses. Aine Davis, 39, spent seven years in prison in Turkey for being a member of the extremist group and was arrested...
Terminally Ill Baby at Center
of Legal Battle Dies
Nov 13, 2023 11:05 AM CST
Terminally Ill Baby at Center of Legal Battle Dies
Indi Gregory, in midst of standoff between parents, Britain, and Italy, was taken off life support Sunday
- A terminally ill baby at the center of a legal battle involving her parents, British health officials, and the Italian government has died, a group supporting her family said Monday, reports the AP . Christian Concern said Indi Gregory died in a hospice on Monday morning after her life support was...
In British Politics, One Major
Firing and One Surprise Return
Nov 13, 2023 6:49 AM CST
In British Politics, One Major Firing and One Surprise Return
Ex-PM David Cameron joins Cabinet, and divisive Home Secretary Suella Braverman is out
- Former British Prime Minister David Cameron made a shock return to high office on Monday, becoming foreign secretary in a major shakeup of the Conservative government. Cameron, who led the UK government between 2010 and 2016, was appointed by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in a Cabinet shuffle that also saw...
Bed Bug Fumigation
Killed Couple at Resort
Nov 11, 2023 3:50 PM CST
Bed Bug Fumigation Killed Couple at Resort
Room next door had been sprayed with pesticide
- The coroner's verdict is in on the cause of death for a British couple vacationing at a luxury resort in Egypt in 2018. John and Susan Cooper died of carbon monoxide poisoning, CNN reports, in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada. The room next to theirs, which was connected...
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed
'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Nov 10, 2023 8:44 AM CST
The Plane Took Off. It Seemed 'Noisier and Colder' Than Usual
Aircraft out of London with missing windows got to altitude of 14.5K feet before damage was spotted
- Twenty people are breathing a sigh of relief that their flight safely made it back to London after a startling discovery made midair. Per a report released Friday, investigators with the UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch say an Airbus A321 took off on Oct. 4 from the British capital'...
Aide: Boris Johnson Suggested
COVID Injection to Prove a Point
Nov 8, 2023 6:30 PM CST
Aide: Boris Johnson Suggested COVID Injection to Prove a Point
The idea was to show the public there was nothing to fear, former chief of staff tells UK inquiry
- Boris Johnson made the comment "in the heat of the moment," and the seriousness of the virus wasn't clear at the time, but still, an inquiry has been told, the prime minister once suggested he be injected with COVID-19 live on TV to show there was nothing...
Band Goes on Tour,
Walks the Whole Way
Nov 4, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Band Goes on Tour, Walks the Whole Way
Chris Roberts and Seth Bye of Filkin's Drift trekked nearly 900 miles in Wales over 2 months
- Get Chris Roberts and Seth Bye a foot massage, stat. The two musicians, members of the folk band Filkin's Drift , on Tuesday wrapped up their latest tour through Wales, performing dozens of shows over two months. But it wasn't private jets, regular commercial aircraft, or even a van...
Cops Offer Big Money to Solve
Murder of Man in Bar's Freezer
Oct 20, 2023 10:51 AM CDT
Cops Offer Big Money to Solve Murder of Man in Bar's Freezer
Roy Bigg was missing for 9 years before his wrapped body turned up in London in 2021
- London's Metropolitan Police are offering a nearly $25,000 reward for information about a man who was missing for almost a decade before his body turned up in the freezer of a shuttered bar. The last confirmed sighting of Roy Bigg was in February 2012, per the BBC . Fast...
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations
Sound Warning on China
Oct 18, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations Sound Warning on China
Five Eyes intelligence chiefs say Chinese spies are operating at an 'epic scale'
- Spy movies have taught us to suspect figures lurking around military bases and federal buildings, yet the focus of Chinese spying in the US looks quite different, according to the heads of spy agencies in the Five Eyes coalition—US, Canada, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand—who gathered for an...
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
Oct 17, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
Greta Thunberg Arrested Again
This time in London for protesting Big Oil in front of an energy conference
- Greta Thunberg was detained by British police on Tuesday alongside other climate activists who gathered outside a central London hotel to disrupt a major oil and gas industry conference. As the AP reports, Thunberg was among dozens of chanting protesters who sought to block access to the luxury InterContinental hotel...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.