Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Scientists Hunt for Remains
of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
May 11, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Scientists Hunt for Remains of Colonists' Act of Rebellion
The HMS Gaspee was burned off Rhode Island in 1772
- A new effort is underway to find the remains of a British ship that Rhode Island colonists burned 250 years ago, marine archaeologists and state officials announced Tuesday. The June 10, 1772, burning of the HMS Gaspee was an an act of rebellion that some proud Rhode Islanders maintain was...
Ladies, You Might
Want to Move Here
Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Ladies, You Might Want to Move Here
WalletHub ranks the best, worst states for women, with Massachusetts coming out on top
- Whether it's the job market or political representation in DC, women often seem to come up with "the short end of the stick," notes WalletHub , which decided to figure out which parts of the country might offer the best opportunities for women. The personal finance site looked...
May Be Found
Feb 3, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Captain Cook's Legendary Ship May Be Found
Researchers bicker over confirmation of wreck off Rhode Island
- The long-lost
, which Capt. James Cook used to sail the South Pacific while claiming New Zealand and Australia for Great Britain in 1770, has reportedly been found. Kevin Sumption, director of the Australian National Maritime Museum, announced Thursday that "the final resting place of one of the most...
Here Are the 10 States
People Are Fleeing
Jan 25, 2022 3:31 PM CST
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Residents are especially saying so long to New Jersey
- Over the past year, people in the US made some major life changes—including moving out of state. Whether it was to be closer to family during the pandemic or simply a desire for a life in a less-dense area, plenty of Americans made mini-migrations across state lines. United Van...
Scotland Jails Fugitive
Has Already Run
Jan 21, 2022 3:42 PM CST
Scotland Jails Fugitive Whose Obituary Has Already Run
Sheriff declares American Nicholas Alahverdian untrustworthy
: A wanted man who evaded capture for years after, authorities say, faking his death, was jailed Friday without bail in Scotland when the court decreed he "cannot be trusted." Nicholas Alahverdian was picked up after failing to show up for an extradition hearing, the AP reports. He'...
After New Probe,
Into Death of
Nov 24, 2021 2:03 AM CST
After New Probe, Same Conclusion Into Death of Heiress' Employee
Doris Duke ran him down accidentally, city finds
The death of one of Doris Duke's employees remains, officially, an accident after the city manager in Newport, Rhode Island, stood by the city police department's review of the 1966 case. That review determined, as the original police investigation had, that no "definitive motive or intent"...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Prosecutors: Fraudster Even
Conned Fellow Inmates
Oct 14, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Fraudster Even Conned Fellow Inmates
Michael Moller also sentenced to almost 7 years over fraudulent PPP loans
- A convicted bank robber is headed back to federal prison—this time for fraudulently seeking more than $4.7 million in Paycheck Protection Program loans. Michael Moller, 42, of Middletown, Rhode Island, was under federal supervised release following four armed bank robbery convictions when he filed 11 loan applications under...
They Fired Flares at
a $104K Search
Oct 6, 2021 2:31 PM CDT
They Fired Flares at Wedding, Triggered a $104K Search
Rhode Island men have been fined $5K each
- Two Rhode Island men have been fined $5,000 each for setting off flares near a friend's wedding reception last year—which isn't enough to cover the cost of the Coast Guard search operation that ensued. A Department of Justice release states that a search carried out after...
For Sale: 'One
of the Most
Sep 24, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
For Sale: 'One of the Most Well-Known Haunted Houses'
Or so says the realtor selling the Rhode Island home that inspired 'The Conjuring' movie
- Not afraid of ghosts and things that go bump in the night? The purportedly haunted Rhode Island farmhouse that inspired the 2013 horror movie
hit the market Thursday for the scary price of $1.2 million—almost three times the 2019 selling price, per the AP . Mott &...
Senator on Club Membership: 'I
Don't Spend a Lot of Time There'
Jun 22, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Senator on Club Membership: 'I Don't Spend a Lot of Time There'
RI Dem Sheldon Whitehouse is in the hot seat again about his ties to an allegedly 'all white' Newport club
- A Democratic senator from Rhode Island is playing defense after he was grilled this week about his family's long-standing membership at an exclusive beach club. GoLocal Providence describes Bailey's Beach Club in Newport—which has had Sheldon Whitehouse, his wife, and other relatives as members for decades—as...
Kid Finds Message in Bottle
On the Other Side of the Ocean
Jun 20, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Kid Finds Message in Bottle On the Other Side of the Ocean
2 teens have since gotten in touch, thanks to social media
- Putting a message in a bottle is a fun thing for a kid to do. Finding a message in a bottle is something every kid wants to do. And now, two kids on opposite sides of the Atlantic are pals because of just such a message. Christian Santos, 17, was...
'Ongoing Feud' Led to
Biggest Shooting in
May 14, 2021 4:28 AM CDT
'Ongoing Feud' Led to Biggest Shooting in Providence History
9 hurt in shooting in Rhode Island capital
- In what police in Providence believe was the biggest shooting incident in the city's 385-year history, several dozen shots were fired and nine people were injured Thursday. Police in the Rhode Island capital says four or five guns were involved as two groups of young men exchanged gunfire, the...
Only Home on This Island Can
Be Yours, With a Fitting Address
Apr 28, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Only Home on This Island Can Be Yours, With a Fitting Address
Rhode Island's 0 Patience Way is on the market for $400K
- Zero patience for the company of others? Anyone who's ever wanted their own private island getaway now has a chance, and it might be less expensive than you'd think, per the AP . The only house on a small island in Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay has hit the...
Ancient Coins Suggest
Notorious Pirate Hid in America
Apr 2, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Ancient Coins Suggest Notorious Pirate Hid in America
Arabic coins linked to Capt. Henry Every found across New England
- A handful of Arabic coins unearthed from a pick-your-own-fruit orchard in rural Rhode Island and other random corners of New England may help solve one of the planet's oldest cold cases. The villain in this tale: a murderous English pirate who became the world's most-wanted criminal after plundering...
R.I. Steer No Longer on the Lam
Mar 27, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
R.I. Steer No Longer on the Lam
The animal's fate remains unclear
- The saga of the steer that escaped the slaughterhouse in Rhode Island has come to a close. The animal—which had been on the lam since early February—was corralled Friday in the town of Johnston the
reports. During its 48 days of freedom, the steer was spotted...
Steer That Escaped Slaughter
Still Loose a Month Later
Mar 12, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Steer That Escaped Slaughter Still Loose a Month Later
He's been roaming Rhode Island since Feb. 4
- Where's the beef? Still very much on the mooove in Rhode Island, per the AP . More than a month after escaping while being unloaded at a slaughterhouse, a 1,600-pound steer is still roaming the streets of Johnston , about 10 miles west of Providence. Police said Wednesday in a...
Slated for Slaughter,
Steer Makes a Break
Feb 6, 2021 1:25 PM CST
Slated for Slaughter, Steer Makes a Break
The animal has been seen roaming around Providence, R.I.
- A 1,600-pound steer has been reported roaming the streets of Rhode Island's capital, the AP reports. Workers with Rhode Island Beef & Veal told WJAR that a wholesaler lost control of the cow while unloading it for slaughter. The animal was first spotted in Johnston, about 10 miles...
Supreme Court Rules Against
GOP in State's Mail Voting
Aug 13, 2020 12:54 PM CDT
Supreme Court Rules Against GOP in State's Mail Voting
Rhode Island is allowed to keep relaxed rules in place to make process easier
- A Supreme Court ruling on Thursday means that it will remain easier than usual for people in Rhode Island to vote by mail in the November election. In an unsigned order , the justices kept emergency rules in place that allow people to cast their ballots without the signatures of two...
Where to Go
Aug 3, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Looking for Stellar Health Care? Here's Where to Go
Massachusetts ranks No. 1 in WalletHub state rankings, Georgia brings up the rear
- Health care is often at the top of many Americans' minds, but never has it been so critical as now, as we struggle through the coronavirus pandemic. To see which states have the best handle on health care, WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, plus the District of Columbia,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
AP Sees a 'Political Shift' That Should Scare Democrats
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.