Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Archbishop to Pelosi:
No More Communion for You
May 21, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
San Francisco's Salvatore Cordileone says House speaker must repudiate support for abortion rights
- The conservative Catholic archbishop of San Francisco said Friday that he'll no longer allow US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to receive Communion because of her support for abortion rights. Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone said he sent Pelosi a letter April 7 expressing his concerns after she vowed to codify the...
Oct 5, 2021 8:59 AM CDT
Report: French Catholic Church Showed 'Cruel Indifference'
Commission finds 330K children may have been sexually abused by clergy, laypeople since 1950
- A new report slams the Catholic Church for "cruel indifference," with clergy in France accused of sexually abusing an estimated 216,000 children since 1950. Jean-Marc Sauve, head of the inquiry commissioned by the French Catholic Church, says most of the victims over the past seven decades were...
Court Gives OK
to Steve Bannon
May 27, 2020 8:31 AM CDT
Court Gives OK to Steve Bannon for Right-Wing 'Political Academy'
Ex-Trump adviser will set up Dignitatis Humanae Institute in centuries-old Italian monastery
- Steve Bannon, President Trump's controversial former top adviser, has emerged victorious in his quest to set up a "right-wing Catholic political academy" in Italy, per Reuters . A ruling released Tuesday notes that the Dignitatis Humanae Institute will be able to set up shop in an 800-year-old monastery to...
Autistic Son 'Is
Feb 28, 2020 9:21 AM CST
Parents: Our Autistic Son 'Is Being Shunned' by Church
NJ couple says 8-year-old was turned down for first Holy Communion because he's nonverbal
- A New Jersey couple is railing against their church for a "disgraceful and disheartening" act against their 8-year-old son, which they say is due to his disability. Per NBC News , Anthony LaCugna is autistic and nonverbal, and because of that, his parents say, Saint Aloysius Church in Jackson refused...
Mark Wahlberg Sorry He Played
Well-Endowed Porn Star
Oct 24, 2017 11:35 AM CDT
Mark Wahlberg Sorry He Played Well-Endowed Porn Star
Catholic actor has prayed to God for forgiveness for his role in 1997's 'Boogie Nights'
- Mark Wahlberg says he hopes God will forgive him for his turn as a porn star in PT Anderson's 1997 film
. Wahlberg told the
ahead of an event with Chicago Cardinal Blase Cupich on Friday that he hopes "God is a movie fan and...
Catholic Doc Claims He Can
Reverse Early Abortions
Jul 17, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
Catholic Doc Claims He Can Reverse Early Abortions
George Delgado is 'experimenting on women' with controversial procedure, detractors say
- Several US states, including Georgia, Utah, and Idaho, have enacted laws or are considering bills allowing for "abortion reversals." Per the concept driven by California doctor George Delgado, if a woman takes only the first of two pills in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy and regrets her...
Family Celebrates Baby's Recovery After Pope's Kiss
Nov 27, 2015 6:32 AM CST
Family Celebrates Baby's Recovery After Pope's Kiss
Gianna's tumor appears to be shrinking
- Baby Gianna Masciantonio developed a rare brain tumor just weeks after her birth last year when her red blood cells attacked her brain stem. After multiple chemotherapy treatments, an August brain scan revealed that the tumor was still there, and parents Joey and Kristen Masciantonio decided to do one more...
Sanders Loves Pope's
Mention of 'Radical' Activist
Sep 24, 2015 2:36 PM CDT
Sanders Loves Pope's Mention of 'Radical' Activist
He like pontiff's praise of Dorothy Day
- Pope Francis made a historic appearance before Congress today, and one person especially pleased with his speech was Bernie Sanders. The Vermont senator tells CNN he loved the reference to Dorothy Day, a "radical Catholic activist," per the
, who founded the Catholic Worker Movement and fought...
Oct 18, 2013 12:31 PM CDT
Nun-to-Be Charged With Baby's Murder
Sosefina Amoa gave birth 5 days after arriving at the center
- Police have charged a woman studying to become a Catholic nun in the death of her newborn son. Police say Sosefina Amoa, 26, gave birth to the boy Oct. 10 in her room at the Little Sisters of the Poor elderly care facility. Afraid the nuns would hear the newborn'...
France: We're OK With
Gay Marriage ... Right?
Nov 5, 2012 6:02 PM CST
France: We're OK With Gay Marriage ... Right?
Suddenly it's a political hot potato
- New French President Francois Hollande rode to victory promising to legalize gay marriage, and with a majority of the public supporting it, what could go wrong? A lot, it turns out: Religious and rural leaders are opposing him, ambitious conservative politicians are piping up, and even his own Socialist ministers...
Bishop's RNC Role
Aug 27, 2012 9:45 AM CDT
Catholics Question Bishop's RNC Role
New York cardinal set to deliver benediction
- New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan is headed to the Republican National Convention to deliver a benediction, a rarity in modern times: Not since 1972 has an out-of-town bishop flown in to bless a party convention. While observers at first called it a win for Mitt Romney, now some Catholics are...
for 6 Days
Aug 17, 2011 2:33 AM CDT
Vatican Offers Pilgrims Abortion Forgiveness for 6 Days
Excommunications to be lifted at Madrid's World Youth Day
- The Vatican is marking World Youth Day celebrations in Madrid by offering women who have had abortions an easy way to become Catholics again, reports the
. Abortion is punishable by instant excommunication and "normally, only certain priests have the power to lift such an excommunication, but the local...
Apr 25, 2011 11:28 AM CDT
Church Keeps Catholics Off British Throne
Anglican leader must not be subordinate to pope: Church of England
- Royals are free to marry atheists, agnostics, Jews, and Muslims—but don’t expect a Catholic wedding anytime soon. The British government recently attempted to end a policy, in place for centuries, that bars marriages between royals and Catholics ... but the Church of England blocked the move, the
Apr 22, 2011 10:30 AM CDT
Faithful Crucify Themselves in Philippines
At least 24 nailed to crosses
- At least 24 Filipinos celebrated Good Friday in an incredibly painful fashion today, by voluntarily having people dressed as Roman soldiers drive four-inch stainless-steal nails through their palms, and then hoist them into the midday sun. Such ritual crucifixions are a tradition in the country, and the largest of them...
Protesters Smash 'Piss Christ'
Apr 19, 2011 8:50 AM CDT
Protesters Smash 'Piss Christ'
Catholic activists hit it with a hammer in Avignon museum
- A pair of extreme Catholic protesters celebrated Palm Sunday this weekend by bursting into the Museum of Contemporary Art in Avignon, France, and smashing Andres Serrano’s (in)famous photograph “Immersion Piss Christ,” and some other works of art they objected to, with hammers. According to a French report...
Apr 18, 2011 8:22 AM CDT
Diplomat Accused of Preaching Too Much Resigns
State dept. said Douglas Kmiec spent too much time touting Catholic beliefs
- The Obama administration’s ambassador to Malta has resigned following a State Department report that blasted him for spending too much time speaking and writing about his Catholic beliefs—to the detriment of his actual work, Politico reports. In a resignation letter sent to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and the...
Most Catholic Women
Use Birth Control
Apr 14, 2011 2:07 PM CDT
Most Catholic Women Use Birth Control
98% of sexually active Catholics use or used contraceptives
- The Catholic Church officially bans birth control—and that ban and a dollar will buy you a condom out of a vending machine. It turns out that a whopping 98% of sexually active Catholic women use or have used birth control, according to a new study from the Guttmacher reproductive...
Better Plan Ahead if
You Want Last Rites
Apr 6, 2011 9:47 AM CDT
Better Plan Ahead if You Want Last Rites
Shortage of Catholic priests makes last-minute requests tough
- There's a shortage of Catholic priests these days, and that means that dying Catholics need to plan ahead if they want to get last rites. "Try to anticipate. Look at your last days instead of your last hour," one hospice minister tells
, adding that sometimes it...
There's an App for That
Feb 8, 2011 7:29 AM CST
Sinning Catholic? There's an App for That
...but you still have to go to a priest if you want absolution
- Have something you need to confess? There’s an app for that. "Confession: A Roman Catholic App" has actually been sanctioned by the Catholic Church in the US, Reuters reports. The app will walk you through the process as well as offer you a “personalized examination of conscience,...
Tough Job, But...
Nov 14, 2010 6:52 AM CST
Catholic Church Seeks Exorcists
Clergy attend weekend training session in Baltimore
- Do you have a knack for battling Satan? The Catholic Church may have just the job for you. With just five or six of US priests capable of performing an exorcism and demand for exorcisms rising as Catholics who hail from countries where the rite doesn't evoke head-spinning immigrate to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.