Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
in vitro fertilization
Stories 1 - 20 |
Couple: Fertility Clinic's
Mistake Doomed Our Baby
Mar 3, 2023 1:30 AM CST
Couple: Fertility Clinic's Mistake Doomed Our Baby
Jason and Melissa Diaz's son has dangerous hereditary gene
- Jason and Melissa Diaz chose to start a family using in vitro fertilization for a very specific, and very important, reason: to have genetic testing done and make sure Jason didn't pass along a deadly gene that caused him to develop a rare type of cancer that forced him...
Lawsuit: Oil Meant to Keep
Embryos Safe Killed Them All
Feb 21, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Lawsuit: Oil Meant to Keep Embryos Safe Killed Them All
Complaint filed after Fujifilm Irvine Scientific recalls oil used in IVF process due to 'toxicity'
- A mineral oil manufactured by Fujifilm Irvine Scientific is used during the delicate in vitro fertilization process, mainly to prevent evaporation during culturing so that the embryo doesn't dry up and die. A couple from Los Angeles, however, say the oil proved toxic to all of their embryos, and...
Suit: I Was Impregnated
With Stranger's Embryo
Apr 6, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Suit: I Was Impregnated With Stranger's Embryo
Massachusetts couple sues New York Fertility Institute, where past mix-up occurred
- A Massachusetts couple say they underwent several unsuccessful attempts at in vitro fertilization before learning they were pregnant—with someone else's baby. The couple identified as Jane and John Doe are suing the New York Fertility Institute in the US Southern District Court of New York, claiming they had...
Woman Uncovers Unbelievable
Story About Her OB-GYN
Feb 26, 2022 6:00 AM CST
Woman Uncovers Unbelievable Story About Her OB-GYN
Morgan Hellquist alleges Dr. Morris Wortman is her biological father
- When a police officer pulled Morgan Hellquist over for erratic driving, he immediately recognized she was upset and asked what was the matter. "Even if I tell you what's wrong, you're never going to believe me," she recalls saying. In a piece for the
She Was 50, He Nearly Was.
They Decided to Get Pregnant
Feb 13, 2022 12:00 PM CST
She Was 50, He Nearly Was. They Decided to Get Pregnant
Akhil Sharma beautifully charts his journey to parenthood
- There are many different paths to parenthood, and in an exquisite piece for the
, Akhil Sharma writes of his own. Sharma, an author and professor at Duke, grew up with a severely brain-damaged brother who was unable to talk or walk, a mother who made him feel worthless,...
2 Women Give Birth
to the Wrong Babies
Nov 9, 2021 2:46 AM CST
Embryos Switched, 2 Women Give Birth to the Wrong Babies
The infants were swapped months later
- Two California couples gave birth to each others' babies after a mix-up at a fertility clinic and spent months raising children that weren't theirs before swapping the infants, according to a lawsuit filed Monday in Los Angeles. Daphna Cardinale said she and her husband, Alexander, had immediate suspicions that...
15 Months After
His Daughter Is Born
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
15 Months After Olympian's Death, His Daughter Is Born
Alex Pullin's widow gave birth to Minnie Alex in Australia through IVF procedure
- Fifteen months after the sudden death of Olympic gold medalist Alex "Chumpy" Pullin, his newborn daughter has arrived. The Australian snowboarder's widow, Ellidy Pullin, on Thursday announced the birth of Minnie Alex, conceived through in vitro fertilization. "Your Dad and I have been dreaming of you for...
Is Even More So
for Single Women
Jun 15, 2021 8:14 AM CDT
'Emotionally Devastating' IVF Is Even More So for Single Women
Alicia Lombardini advocates in the 'NYT' to ease logistical, financial obstacles for moms on their own
- Alicia Lombardini became a mother right before the pandemic hit, and she's now the proud mom of an 18-month-old son. But hers wasn't a typical or easy journey to motherhood, and she's hoping maybe someday it will be for single moms like herself, she writes in the...
After IVF and
She Had a Big
Decision to Make
Apr 12, 2021 4:02 AM CDT
After IVF and Genetic Testing, She Had a Big Decision to Make
Implant the 'mosaic' embryo or not?
- Jacquelynn Kerubo made a big decision right before New York City went into lockdown: to transfer a "mosaic" embryo into her uterus. As she explains in an essay for the
New York Times
, "mosaic" has been used since 2015 to describe the roughly 20% of IVF embryos that...
No More Pregnancies
Aug 14, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Amy Schumer: No More Pregnancies
Comedian considering a surrogate following IVF struggles
- Amy Schumer has revealed that she "can't be pregnant ever again" following the birth of her first child last year. Schumer became pregnant with son Gene David, now 15 months old, through in vitro fertilization, per
. "He's the best thing in my life" but "...
She's 68, He's 77.
Meet Their New Twins
Apr 23, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
She's 68, He's 77. Meet Their New Twins
Nigeria's Margaret and Noah Adenuga have babies via IVF, nearly 50 years after they started trying
- A Nigerian woman has become a first-time mother at age 68. Margaret Adenuga—perhaps the oldest first-time mother in Africa, per the
—underwent three in vitro fertilization procedures before finding success with her fourth. She and husband Noah Adenuga, 77, then welcomed twins at the Lagos University Teaching...
3 Cheetahs, 2 Cubs,
One 'Big Breakthrough'
Feb 25, 2020 9:50 AM CST
3 Cheetahs, 2 Cubs, One 'Big Breakthrough'
Birth via surrogacy allows for greater genetic diversity
- Ohio has welcomed two new scientific marvels—the first ever cheetah cubs born via in vitro fertilization. Cheetahs are a vulnerable species, with only 7,500 left in the wild. They also have low genetic diversity owing to a mass die-off about 10,000 years ago. That's made breeding...
Rate of Twin Births Declines
Oct 3, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Rate of Twin Births Declines
Single deliveries are safer, so researchers welcome the drop
- After three decades of increases, the US birth rate for twins has dropped. The steady rise had been attributable largely to the use of in vitro fertilization. Now, the 4% drop from 2014 to 2018 could be attributable to new reproductive technology that makes single births more likely, a report...
Man Has Stroke Hours After
70-Something Wife Has Twins
Sep 6, 2019 9:11 AM CDT
Man Has Stroke Hours After 70-Something Wife Has Twins
'It is all in the hands of God,' new dad had said just after girls were born
- For years, Mangayamma Yaramati and her husband deeply longed to have children, but they were never able to conceive—and in their village in India's Andhra Pradesh state, that was a dark mark against them. "They would call me a childless lady," the septuagenarian tells the BBC...
Woman's Xmas Gift to Parents
Brings Devastating Surprise
Aug 9, 2019 1:46 PM CDT
Woman's Xmas Gift to Parents Brings Devastating Surprise
Rebecca Cartellone, conceived via IVF, finds out dad isn't biological father due to apparent clinic mix-up
- A 24-year-old Ohio woman who thought an Ancestry.com kit would make a great Christmas gift for her parents is now wracked with guilt, and her family thrown into turmoil, after the DNA test revealed her dad isn't her biological father. Per the
New York Daily News
, the family...
Suit: Couple Went
to 'Shocked' in
Jul 8, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Suit: Couple Went From 'Ecstatic' to 'Shocked' in IVF Mix-Up
Mother gave birth to twins who turned out to be the genetic children of 2 other couples
- A couple from Flushing, NY, went to a fertility clinic that self-billed as the "mecca of reproductive medicine," and they did succeed in getting pregnant with twins—but then had to give both babies up after what the Daily Beast calls a "mind-boggling mix-up." That's...
Trump Reponds to Criticism
by Michelle Obama
Nov 9, 2018 11:22 AM CST
Trump Reponds to Criticism by Michelle Obama
But he takes shot at her husband, not her
- Michelle Obama's memoir,
, is officially out on Tuesday, but outlets including the AP and the
got their hands on advance copies. Some of the first headlines focused on the former first lady's criticism of President Trump—among other things, she calls him a "mysogynist"...
World's Only 2 Northern White
Rhinos May Not Be the Last
Jul 5, 2018 3:13 AM CDT
World's Only 2 Northern White Rhinos May Not Be the Last
Scientists have created 'test tube rhino' embryos in hopes of saving the species
- There are only two female northern white rhinos left in the world (the lone male, Sudan, died in March ), and they're infertile, but researchers are hoping new efforts on the reproduction front will stave off the end of the species. The world's first "test tube" rhinos...
His Ex Used His Sperm
Without His Permission.
Now He Owes Child Support
May 3, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
His Ex Used His Sperm Without His Permission. Now He Owes Child Support
Court rules against German man in odd case
- A married German couple, identified in the press only as Karl and Inge, fertilized Inge's eggs with Karl's sperm and froze them five years ago, intending to have children someday. Instead, they divorced. Inge decided to have a baby anyway, allegedly forging Karl's signature two times on...
Man Is Responsible for Child
Conceived After He Left Wife
Dec 15, 2017 6:34 PM CST
Man Is Responsible for Child Conceived After He Left Wife
Judge rules in case of post-separation in vitro fertilization
- A Japanese court is holding a man legally responsible for his biological child—despite her being born long after he was in any way involved with her conception. The
reports the Nara Family Court on Friday dismissed a lawsuit from a 46-year-old foreigner seeking to avoid legal responsibility...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.