Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
General Motors Jumps 9.4%
Nov 29, 2023 3:37 PM CST
General Motors Jumps 9.4%
Automaker says it won't have trouble absorbing costs of new labor contract
- Stocks drifted to a mixed close on Wall Street Wednesday as drops in several Big Tech companies offset gains in other parts of the market. Facebook parent company Meta fell 2% and Google's parent company Alphabet gave up 1.6%.
The S&P 500 gave up an early gain
Report on Consumer
Confidence Buoys Wall Street
Nov 28, 2023 3:39 PM CST
Report on Consumer Confidence Buoys Wall Street
Member of Fed board of governors 'increasingly confident' about hitting inflation target
- Stocks drifted to a mostly higher close Tuesday following a strong report on consumer confidence and growing hopes that the Federal Reserve is finished with its aggressive interest rate hikes.
The S&P 500 rose 4.46 points, or 0.1%, to 4,554.89.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Shopify Jumps 4.4% After
Setting Black Friday Record
Nov 27, 2023 3:47 PM CST
Shopify Jumps 4.4% After Setting Black Friday Record
Major indexes drifted lower after 4-week winning streak
- Stocks edged lower on Wall Street as markets looked ahead to updates on inflation and how American consumers are feeling about the economy.
The S&P 500 fell 8.91 points, or 0.2%, to 4,550.43 on Monday. The index is coming off a holiday-shortened week and its
Half-Day Session Ends
4th Winning Week in a Row
Nov 24, 2023 1:52 PM CST
Half-Day Session Ends 4th Winning Week in a Row
Dow rose 117 points, with gains for health care, financial, energy stocks
- Stocks drifted to a mixed finish after a half-day trading session capped a holiday shortened week that left the major indexes with their fourth straight winning week.
The S&P 500 rose 2.72 points, or 0.1%, to 4,559.34.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 117.12
Nvidia Drops 2.5%
Despite Blowout Profits
Nov 22, 2023 3:36 PM CST
Nvidia Drops 2.5% Despite Blowout Profits
Wall Street closes higher ahead of holiday
- Stocks closed higher on Wall Street Wednesday, keeping the market on track for a fourth straight weekly gain.
The S&P 500 rose 18.43 points, or 0.4%, to 4,556.62.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 184.74 points, or 0.5%, to 35,273.03.
Altman Hire Lifts
Nov 20, 2023 3:51 PM CST
Altman Hire Lifts Microsoft 2.1%
Wall Street rises to its best level since early August
- Wall Street posted solid gains to begin a holiday-shortened week, reaching its highest level in more than three months.
The S&P 500 gained 33.36 points, or 0.7%, to 4,547.38, coming off its third straight winning week.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 203.76, or
Nov 15, 2023 3:33 PM CST
Target Beats Profits Forecast, Jumps 17.8%
Wall Street adds to its big gains from Tuesday
- On Wednesday, Wall Street added a bit more to its big rally from a day before and to its gains so far for November.
The S&P 500 rose 7.18 points, or 0.2%, to 4,502.88.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 163.51 points, or 0.
Stocks Surge After
Surprising Inflation Report
Nov 14, 2023 3:51 PM CST
Stocks Surge After Surprising Inflation Report
Dow jumps 490 points after inflation cools more than expected
- Relief washed over Wall Street Tuesday, and stocks leaped to one of their best days of the year following a surprisingly encouraging report on inflation .
The S&P 500 rose 84.15 points, or 1.9%, to 4,495.70.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 489.83 points, or
Stocks Hold Steady
Ahead of Inflation Report
Nov 13, 2023 3:38 PM CST
Stocks Hold Steady Ahead of Inflation Report
Henry Schein, Tyson Foods beat Wall Street's forecasts
- Wall Street drifted through a mixed Monday to open a week that could bring more action to financial markets, with several big reports on the calendar.
The S&P 500 slipped 3.69 points, or 0.1%, to 4,411.55.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 54.77, or
Discovery Drops 19%
Nov 8, 2023 3:49 PM CST
Warner Brothers Discovery Drops 19%
Company reported worse loss than expected
- Stocks drifted to another mixed close Wednesday as Wall Street continues to recalibrate following its sharp recent swings.
The S&P 500 rose 4.40 points, or 0.1%, to 4,382.78 in its third straight day of quiet trading.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 40.33 points,
Oil Prices Drop, Taking
Pressure Off Inflation
Nov 7, 2023 3:41 PM CST
Oil Prices Drop, Taking Pressure Off Inflation
Trip Advisor, Uber were among the winners on Wall Street Tuesday
- Stocks ticked higher on Wall Street Tuesday as markets continued to absorb the big swings that have shaken them in recent weeks.
The S&P 500 rose 12.40 points, or 0.3%, to 4,378.38.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 56.74 points, or 0.2%, to
Drops After Reporting Loss
Nov 6, 2023 3:38 PM CST
Berkshire Hathaway Drops After Reporting Loss
Trading in WeWork was halted Monday
- Stocks drifted to a mixed close Monday as Wall Street's wild recent moves calmed a bit.
The S&P 500 rose 7.64 points, or 0.2%, to 4,365.98 in its first trading after careening from months of sharp losses to its best week of the year
Nov 1, 2023 3:29 PM CDT
Markets Welcome Fed Chief's Latest Remarks
Powell says other factors are slowing economy, suggesting rate hikes could be over
- US stocks rallied after the Federal Reserve indicated it may not need to pump the brakes any harder on Wall Street and the economy.
The S&P 500 rose 44.06 points, or 1.1%, to 4,237.86.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 221.71 points, or 0.
Wall Street Just Had Its
3rd Straight Losing Month
Oct 31, 2023 4:01 PM CDT
Wall Street Just Had Its 3rd Straight Losing Month
But most stocks rose Tuesday, softening the blow
- Wall Street closed higher Tuesday to take a bit of the edge off another losing month, but the S&P 500 still finished October with its third straight monthly drop. It's the index's longest losing streak since the COVID-19 pandemic froze the global economy at the start of...
Dow Just Had Its
Best Day Since June
Oct 30, 2023 3:52 PM CDT
Dow Just Had Its Best Day Since June
Stocks claw back losses at start of busy week
- Wall Street clawed back some of its sharp recent losses Monday to start a week that could see more big swings in financial markets.
The S&P 500 finished 1.2% higher Monday rising 49.45 points to 4,166.82 in its first trading after dropping more than 10%
Company Plunges 9.5%
Oct 25, 2023 3:31 PM CDT
Google's Parent Company Plunges 9.5%
Wall Street is back to where it was in May
- Wall Street sank back to where it was in May on Wednesday, pulled down by steep drops in several Big Tech companies. The S&P 500 dropped after rising bond yields tightened their chokehold on the stock market and some of the most influential companies turned in mixed profit reports....
Verizon, GE Report
Strong Summer Profits
Oct 24, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Verizon, GE Report Strong Summer Profits
S&P 500 snaps 5-day losing streak
- Wall Street rose Tuesday after Verizon, General Electric and other big companies reported fatter profits for the summer than expected.
The S&P 500 rose 30.64 points, or 0.7%, to 4,247.68, breaking a five-day losing streak.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 204.97 points,
Chevron, Hess Drop After
Announcing Huge Deal
Oct 23, 2023 3:56 PM CDT
Chevron, Hess Drop After Announcing Huge Deal
Rebounding tech stocks help stem market losses
- Wall Street wobbled to a mixed close Monday, continuing a monthslong run where it has obediently followed the cue of the bond market.
The S&P 500 slipped 7.12 points, or 0.2%, to 4,217.04, coming off its worst week in a month.
The Dow Jones Industrial
United Airlines Drops 9.7%
After Warning of Hit to Profits
Oct 18, 2023 3:48 PM CDT
United Airlines Drops 9.7% After Warning of Hit to Profits
War worries drag down markets
- Wall Street dropped after big US companies delivered a mixed set of profit reports and rising Treasury yields tightened the vise further on the stock market. Worries about war in the Middle East also dragged on the market Wednesday.
The S&P 500 fell 1.3%.
The Dow Jones Industrial
Markets Hold Steady After
Report on Consumer Spending
Oct 17, 2023 3:38 PM CDT
Markets Hold Steady After Report on Consumer Spending
Shoppers spent more than expected last month
- Wall Street drifted to a mixed finish Tuesday following the latest signal that the US economy remains solid, though perhaps too strong for the Federal Reserve's liking.
The S&P 500 edged down by 0.43, which is well less than 0.1%, to 4,373.20 after flipping
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.