Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Thieves Try for
a Biden's SUV,
Nov 13, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Thieves Try for a Biden's SUV, Secret Service Opens Fire
President's granddaughter was out in Georgetown when 3 people tried to break into unmarked SUV
- Secret Service agents protecting President Biden's granddaughter opened fire after three people tried to break into an unmarked Secret Service vehicle in the nation's capital, a law enforcement official told the AP . The agents, assigned to protect Naomi Biden, were out with her in DC's Georgetown neighborhood...
RFK Jr. Makes
New Move Against
Nov 7, 2023 7:01 AM CST
RFK Jr. Makes New Move Against Alleged Stalker
Independent presidential candidate files civil harassment restraining order against 28-year-old
- Spooked by what cops say is a repeat unwanted visitor to his California home, independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has filed a civil harassment restraining order against the alleged perpetrator, per legal documents seen by the Blast . The protective order covers not only Kennedy and his properties, but...
Gets in Even
More Hot Water
Oct 5, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
First Dog, Commander, Gets in Even More Hot Water
Sources allege more biting incidents have taken place, and he's currently not at White House
- The White House recently acknowledged that "first dog" Commander bit 11 Secret Service officers since October of last year, but sources tell CNN the German shepherd has actually bit many more people than that, including executive residence staff and other White House employees. At least one bite required hospital...
11th Biting Incident
Sep 27, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Commander Has 11th Biting Incident
"First dog" bites another Secret Service officer
- Make that 11: "First dog" Commander bit another Secret Service officer this week, bringing the total number of bites he's doled out since October 2022 to 11. The 2-year-old German shepherd bit one of the service's uniformed division police officers Monday night at the White House, according...
Armed Man Taken
Into Custody at
Sep 17, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Armed Man Taken Into Custody at Kennedy Event
Suspect was wearing a US Marshals badge, police say
- An armed man accused of impersonating a federal officer was taken into custody outside a Robert F. Kennedy Jr. campaign event in Los Angeles, police said. A Los Angeles Police Department statement said a caller Friday afternoon reported that a man with a loaded gun and holster and wearing a...
His Memoir May Change
Narrative of JFK Assassination
Sep 10, 2023 6:35 AM CDT
His Memoir May Change Narrative of JFK Assassination
Ex-Secret Agent Paul Landis' memory of finding bullet in limo could support theory of a second gunman
- Sixty years after the assassination of John F. Kennedy, the memoir of a Secret Service agent who was there may change a key part of the narrative, reports the
New York Times
. The memoir is by Paul Landis, now 88, whose account challenges the idea that a single bullet killed...
at National Security
May 17, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Secret Service Probing Incident at National Security Adviser's Home
Man got in without agents noticing last month
- An intruder showed up inside the home of President Biden's national security adviser last month in an incident that is now being revealed for the first time. Jake Sullivan confronted the man around 3am on the morning in question and he left, the
reports. Sullivan then alerted...
This White House
Intruder Is a Tot
Apr 18, 2023 1:07 PM CDT
This White House Intruder Is a Tot
Boy, who snuck through 5.5-inch-wide gap in fence, was returned to his parents
- A toddler on Tuesday earned the title of one of the tiniest White House intruders after he squeezed through the metal fencing on the north side of the executive mansion, the AP reports. US Secret Service Uniformed Division officers walked across the North Lawn to retrieve the tot and reunite...
for Secret Service
at Trump Hotels
Oct 17, 2022 3:32 PM CDT
Records Show 'Exorbitant' Charges for Secret Service at Trump Hotels
Eric Trump claims rooms were 'either provided at cost, heavily discounted, or for free'
- Secret Service agents protecting Donald Trump and members of his family were regularly charged "exorbitant" rates to stay at Trump hotels, according to a House Oversight Committee investigation that directly contradicts claims made by Eric Trump. The former president's son, who is executive vice president of the Trump...
Jan. 6 Panel Expected to Share
Ginni Thomas Testimony
Oct 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Expected to Share Ginni Thomas Testimony
Thursday's hearing is set to offer 'surprising' details, a look into Trump's 'state of mind'
- The House Jan. 6 committee is set to unveil "surprising" details, including evidence from former President Trump's Secret Service, about the 2021 attack on the Capitol in what's likely to be its last public hearing before the November midterm elections. The hearing Thursday afternoon, the 10th public...
Secret Service Called
Harris Motorcade Accident
Oct 6, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
Secret Service Called Harris Motorcade Accident 'Mechanical Failure'
The real cause was driver error
- Vice President Kamala Harris was unharmed when her motorcade was involved in a minor accident on a closed roadway in Washington, DC, on Monday morning—but insiders tell the
that the way it was reported to Secret Service leadership raised concerns. The agency's leaders were told "...
Jan. 6 Inquiry: DHS Has
Had 24 Secret Service
Phones for 2 Months
Sep 28, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Inquiry: DHS Has Had 24 Secret Service Phones for 2 Months
They went to DHS Inspector General, who's been accused of a lack of transparency: report
- Secret Service leadership confiscated the cellphones of 24 agents involved in the response to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, and gave them to the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general up to two months ago, reports NBC News . The phones were handed over to Inspector General Joseph...
to Jan. 6 Probe
Aug 30, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Secret Service Official Integral to Jan. 6 Probe Abruptly Retires
Tony Ornato says he has long been planning the move
- Anthony Ornato, the Secret Service official turned Trump staffer who has become enmeshed in the House January 6 probe , abruptly retired Monday. The Intercept calls the move, which came two days before his planned interview with Department of Homeland Security investigators who are probing the Capitol riot, "unexpected."...
Secret Service Officer
Assaulted Outside White House
Aug 9, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Secret Service Officer Assaulted Outside White House
Agency says suspect is in custody
- The Secret Service says a suspect is in custody after an assault on one of its officers outside the White House Tuesday afternoon. The agency says the uniformed officer was attacked in an unprovoked assault near a guard booth on Pennsylvania Avenue, on the north side of the White House,...
Are Missing, Too
Jul 29, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Texts From DHS Officials Are Missing, Too
Inspector General Joseph Cuffari failed to notify Congress: 'Washington Post'
- Texts from Secret Service agents related to Jan. 6, 2021, aren't the only messages to have escaped the peering eyes of the House select committee. According to the
, texts between the two top officials at the Department of Homeland Security under former President Trump sent in the...
Secret Service Under
Jul 22, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Secret Service Under Criminal Investigation
Inspector general tells agency to stop its own search for deleted texts
- A government watchdog has informed the Secret Service that it's under criminal investigation over its deletion of text messages agents sent around the time of the attack on the Capitol. Because of that, the service was told it should shut down its internal investigation, the
Witness: Pence Security Team
Called Family to Say Goodbye
Jul 21, 2022 9:01 PM CDT
Witness: Pence Security Team Called Family to Say Goodbye
Agents feared for their lives on Jan. 6, witness tells panel
- Just how dicey did things get in regard to Mike Pence on Jan. 6, 2021? Members of the vice president's Secret Service security team "were starting to fear for their own lives," a witness whose identity was not revealed told the panel, per CNN . "There were...
Trump's White House Counsel:
My Pleas Went Unheeded
Jul 21, 2022 8:16 PM CDT
Trump's White House Counsel: My Pleas Went Unheeded
Pat Cipollone says he pushed on Jan. 6 for the president to address rioters early
- In making the case that then-President Trump ignored the pleas of top aides to intervene in the riot, the Jan. 6 panel played testimony from former White House counsel Pat Cipollone, notes the Hill .
“I think I was pretty clear there needed to be an immediate and forceful response,
Secret Service Finds 1 Text.
'I Smell a Rat,' Raskin Says
Jul 20, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
Secret Service Finds 1 Text. 'I Smell a Rat,' Raskin Says
Jan. 6 committee member finds agency's loss of messages an odd coincidence
- A subpoena for Secret Service text messages issued by the House committee investigating the Capitol attack has yielded precisely one transmission. The communication turned over was a request for help sent Jan. 6 by Steven Sund, a Capitol police officer at the time. "That's all that we have,...
Texts Secret Service Agents
Didn't Back Up Are Gone
Jul 20, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Texts Secret Service Agents Didn't Back Up Are Gone
Agents were apparently tasked with determining what to back up during phone migration
The House Jan. 6 committee said late Tuesday that it received a letter from the Secret Service confirming the text messages the panel was seeking are gone for good. The letter also confirmed the deletion occurred during a planned phone migration that occurred shortly after the Capitol attack, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.