Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 5, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Berkshire Posts Quarterly Loss
Operating profits climb though results were hurt by rising fuel costs, Hurricane Ian
- Despite a strong performance by its businesses in several sectors, Berkshire Hathaway posted a third-quarter loss on Saturday. Warren Buffett's conglomerate announced a net loss of $2.69 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, following a $10.34 billion profit in the same period last year. Operating earnings, on...
Aug 6, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Berkshire Hathaway Posts $43B Loss
Buffett's operation feels drop in stock prices
- Berkshire Hathaway reported a $43.8 billion second-quarter loss on Saturday, largely driven by the drop in the stock prices of its biggest investments. In the same period last year, Warren Buffett's operation posted a profit of $28.1 billion, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Still, Berkshire managed to...
Jul 13, 2022 7:40 PM CDT
Gates Plans $20B Infusion for Foundation
'The great crises of our time' require everyone to do more, co-founder says
- Bill Gates sees a multitude of problems in the world that need to be addressed, so he's setting out a plan for his foundation to tackle many of them—and kicking in $20 billion this month to fund the effort. The co-founder of Microsoft issued a statement Wednesday saying...
Tab for Buffett's
Jun 18, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Tab for Buffett's Last Charity Lunch: $19M
'It's been nothing but good,' Berkshire Hathaway chairman says of fundraiser
- The cost of lunch with Warren Buffett has gone way up. An unidentified bidder won a sit-down with the Berkshire Hathaway chairman at a New York City steakhouse on eBay, for a record $19 million. The money goes to a charity, Glide, that provides meals, health care and legal aid...
Apr 30, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Berkshire Shareholders Receive Update in Person
Buffett discusses new investments, inflation
- Thousands of Berkshire Hathaway shareholders returned in person Saturday for their annual meeting heard Warren Buffett update them about investments and rail about the widespread harm inflation is doing. The pandemic had prevented the gathering in Omaha for the past two years. After earlier saying that inflation "swindles" equity...
Meet the 10 Richest
People in the World
Apr 5, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Meet the 10 Richest People in the World
You know many of them already, including Elon Musk at No. 1, per 'Forbes' annual billionaires ranking
is trying to make us feel bad for the world's billionaires, it's not really working. The magazine notes that, collectively, this group is now worth $400 billion less than they were a year ago, thanks to the ongoing pandemic, tepid markets, and war—but 1,000...
Pay Off for
Feb 26, 2022 3:55 PM CST
Buybacks Pay Off for Buffett, Berkshire
Apple investment is working out, too, annual letter to shareholders says
- Warren Buffett has made plenty of major acquisitions, but he told shareholders Saturday that he hasn't run across any exciting big deals lately. So he and Vice Chairman Charlie Munger have been putting Berkshire Hathaway's cash to use buying back company shares, he told shareholders in his annual...
Warren Buffett Resigns
From Gates Foundation
Jun 23, 2021 12:24 PM CDT
Warren Buffett Resigns From Gates Foundation
The other two trustees are getting divorced
- Warren Buffett resigned Wednesday as trustee of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which says it will announce plans in July to answer questions raised about its leadership structure as it deals with the divorce of its two founders . The announcement comes weeks after Bill and Melinda Gates revealed that...
ProPublica Gets Tax Details
on the Richest of the Rich
Jun 8, 2021 12:46 PM CDT
ProPublica Gets Tax Details on the Richest of the Rich
And finds that they pay a tiny fraction of their wealth in taxes
- The richest Americans might complain about the federal government's tax bite, but an investigation by ProPublica reveals a compelling counterpoint. The very rich pay only a "tiny fraction" of their wealth in federal income taxes. And that's in stark contrast to Americans who live paycheck to paycheck,...
May 3, 2021 5:29 PM CDT
Buffett Makes Successor Known
Greg Abel is next up to run Berkshire Hathaway, followed by Ajit Jain
- Warren Buffett said Monday that he's chosen his successor from his vice chairmen, though he didn't say anything about retiring. Greg Abel, 58, who's already in charge of Berkshire Hathaway's noninsurance business, would become chief executive, CNBC reports. Next in line is Ajit Jain, 69, who...
It's Warren Buffett
May 3, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
It's Warren Buffett vs. Robinhood
Old guard of investing criticizes day trading company, which fires back
- Warren Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway lieutenant Charlie Munger have a combined age of 187. And they made clear over the weekend that they're not fans of day trading upstart Robinhood , which caters to millennials, reports CNBC . The company has "become a very significant part of the casino...
Guy to Join
Mar 11, 2021 8:23 AM CST
Warren Buffett Becomes 6th Guy to Join Elite Group
Berkshire Hathaway chair can now claim $100B to his name
- Tired: becoming a billionaire. Wired: entering the $100 billion club. Now in the latter category is Warren Buffett, who on Wednesday joined an elite group of five—Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and LVMH Chair Bernard Arnault—who've been able to claim that benchmark amount in...
but Puts Money
Feb 27, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Famed Investor Lists Concerns but Puts Money on America
Buffett: Progress in creating a more perfect nation often has been discouraging
- Warren Buffett has been unusually quiet during the pandemic, but he's kept his annual appointment with his shareholders. The chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway released his closely watched assessment Saturday, Axios reports. On many fronts, Buffett expressed frustration in the letter . The nation still holds onto its...
There's a New
in the World
Jan 7, 2021 3:33 PM CST
There's a New Richest Person in the World
Tesla CEO moves a billion past Jeff Bezos
- The skyrocketing price of Tesla shares pushed Elon Musk's wealth past that of Jeff Bezos on Thursday, crowning a new richest person in the world. Musk is now listed as being worth $185 billion, a billion more than Amazon's Bezos, CNBC reports. It's not exactly a rags-to-riches...
Investor Makes $12B on
Biggest Software IPO Ever
Sep 17, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Investor Makes $12B on Biggest Software IPO Ever
Snowflake has a massive debut
- If you're hearing the word "snowflake" a lot today, it has nothing to do with politics. Snowflake the tech company is coming off the largest software IPO in history on Wednesday, reports CNN . The company priced its shares for the initial public offering at $120, but they opened...
Has Gone 'Broke'
Sep 17, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
'James Bond of Philanthropy' Has Gone 'Broke'
Billionaire Chuck Feeney inspired Warren Buffett's giving
- Chuck Feeney made billions after co-founding airport retailer Duty Free Shoppers in 1960. He's been "living a life of monklike frugality" ever since, according to
, which reports the world is better for it. The "James Bond of philanthropy" has anonymously donated more than $8 billion to...
Out of $703M
in case you missed it
May 23, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Warren Buffett Allegedly Swindled Out of $703M
German manufacturing company has been ordered to pay it back
- Even the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway is apparently not immune to losing millions due to fraud. A German manufacturing company allegedly swindled Warren Buffett out of more than $703 million, the
reports. A unit of Berkshire Hathaway paid more than $875 million for the family-run company, Wilhelm...
Dumped All His
May 3, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Warren Buffett Dumped All His Airline Stocks
To the tune of $4B amid pandemic fallout
- More bad news for the airline industry: The Oracle of Omaha has jumped ship. Warren Buffett says that his Berkshire Hathaway has unloaded its airline stocks—to the tune of about $4 billion, reports CNBC . "The world has changed for the airlines," Buffett said during a much scaled-down...
Flip Phone Is
Feb 24, 2020 6:17 PM CST
Warren Buffett's Flip Phone Is 'Permanently Gone'
Billionaire investor now uses an iPhone11
- After years of encouragement in the form of gift iPhones, as well as an offer from Apple's CEO to fly to Omaha to set one up for him, Warren Buffett has made the switch. He's now using the new iPhone11, CNBC reports. What did he do with his...
Paid $4.5M for
a Lunch With
Jun 3, 2019 1:43 PM CDT
Here's Who Paid $4.5M for a Lunch With Warren Buffett
That's a record as the 'Oracle of Omaha' continues to raise money for GLIDE
- This is the 20th year Warren Buffett has auctioned off a "power lunch" with himself, and the winning bid set a record at more than $4.5 million. The billionaire investor started doing the auctions at a live charity event for GLIDE , a foundation that helps the homeless in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Warnock Leads, Obama Mocks, but Walker Stays Close
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.