Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest murder news stories, recent child murder cases, and other reports on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Actor Sentenced for
Sep 23, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Actor Sentenced for Killing Mom
Ryan Grantham gets life behind bars in Canada case
- In March 2020, former child actor Ryan Grantham fatally shot his mother. On Tuesday, the 24-year-old was sentenced to life in prison in a Vancouver, British Columbia, courtroom, CTV News reports. Grantham, best known for his role in the
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
film adaptation as well as for...
Cops: Burned Body, Cryptic
Text, No Evidence of Abduction
Sep 22, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: Burned Body, Cryptic Text, No Evidence of Abduction
Police are investigating the mysterious murder of Deborrah Collier in Georgia
- Police are trying to solve a murder mystery in Georgia, where the naked, partially burned body of a woman was found in the woods on the side of a road. What seems to be the last known communication from Deborrah Collier, 59, was in a message sent to her daughter...
17-Year-Old Is Suspect
in Killing of 2 NC Teens
Sep 21, 2022 3:24 PM CDT
17-Year-Old Is Suspect in Killing of 2 NC Teens
'We are not resting until he is in our custody in Orange County,' sheriff says
- A 17-year-old male suspect is being sought in connection with the fatal shooting of two teenagers, police in North Carolina say. The bodies of Lyric Woods, 14, and Devin Clark, 18, were found by ATV drivers Sunday. They had been reported missing by their families, who said they hadn't...
Sheriff's Office: Fight Over
Lights Left On Led to Murder
Sep 21, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Sheriff's Office: Fight Over Lights Left On Led to Murder
Michael D. Williams allegedly murdered ex-wife, her son after fights about electricity usage
- Florida police arrived at Michael D. Williams' home on Sunday after the 47-year-old placed a 911 call to report he'd killed his ex-wife and her adult son in self-defense. The Volusia Sheriff's Office alleges the deaths were actually the grim outcome of a fight over electricity and leaving...
Report: New Orleans Is Now
America's Murder Capital
Sep 19, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
Report: New Orleans Is Now America's Murder Capital
'We’re in a crisis of crime and a crisis of confidence in this city'
- Violent crime in Chicago makes a lot of headlines, but the murder rate in New Orleans was higher even before a massive surge in violent crime over the last two years. The city now has the highest homicide rate of any major American city, with around 41 homicides per 100,...
Cops: DNA Links State's Former
Deputy AG to 1972 Murder
Sep 16, 2022 1:08 PM CDT
Cops: DNA Links State's Former Deputy AG to 1972 Murder
Police say Nevada resident Tudor Chirila Jr. stabbed Hawaii teen more than 60 times
- A former deputy Nevada attorney general who ran for the state Supreme Court and was later affiliated with the infamous Mustang Ranch brothel has been arrested in Reno as a suspect in a 1972 homicide in Hawaii, per the AP . Tudor Chirila Jr., 77, is being held without bail on...
Prosecutors: Man Who Didn't
Get Promotion Killed Family
Sep 15, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Man Who Didn't Get Promotion Killed Family
Feng Lu arrested in connection with 2014 Houston-area murders
- More than eight years after the murder of an entire family stunned the Houston area's Chinese community, an arrest has been made. According to court documents filed Wednesday, investigators believe 58-year-old Feng Lu killed Maoye Sun; his wife, Mei Xie; and their two sons, 7-year-old Titus and 9-year-old Timothy,...
South Korean Woman
Arrested After Kids'
Bodies Found in Suitcases
Sep 15, 2022 1:26 AM CDT
South Korean Woman Arrested After Kids' Bodies Found in Suitcases
Authorities have not said whether she is believed to be their mother
- A woman was arrested in South Korea on Thursday on two murder charges from New Zealand, where the bodies of two long-dead children were found last month in abandoned suitcases , authorities said. Authorities didn't immediately say if the 42-year-old suspect was the dead children's mother. New Zealand police...
In a Decades-Old Case,
a Genetic Genealogy First
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
In a Decades-Old Case, a Genetic Genealogy First
Technology identifies victim Stacey Lyn Chahorski and her killer
- In March, authorities in Georgia announced they'd used genetic genealogy to identify a murder victim whose name had been unknown for 33 years. Just over five months later, they say they've identified the woman's killer using the same technology. Stacey Lyn Chahorski—whose body was found along...
50 Years After
Murder, a Confession
Sep 8, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
50 Years After Deputy Sheriff's Murder, a Confession
Man interviewed decades ago admits to fatal 1971 shooting: police
- A man has reportedly confessed to the murder of a Maryland deputy sheriff that has remained unsolved for a half-century. Larry David Smith, who formerly went by Larry David Becker, admitted to fatally shooting Montgomery County Special Deputy Sheriff Capt. James Tappen Hall in 1971 in what became the police...
Photos of Suspect
in Las Vegas
Sep 7, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Police Release Photos of Suspect in Las Vegas Reporter's Slaying
Jeff German was killed Friday, not Saturday, they say
- Police on Tuesday released a photo of a vehicle that could have been used by a possible suspect in the fatal stabbing of a Las Vegas newspaper’s investigative reporter . They also said
Las Vegas Review-Journal
reporter Jeff German apparently was killed Friday and not Saturday as previously reported by...
He Killed Wife, Replaced Her
With Kids' Teen Babysitter
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 3, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
He Killed Wife, Replaced Her With Kids' Teen Babysitter
Chris Dawson convicted in wife Lynette's 1982 murder in Australia
- One of Australia's longest-running cold cases, which fascinated tens of millions of listeners of a true-crime podcast, has been solved. Following a three-month trial by judge, Chris Dawson was convicted Tuesday in the 1982 murder of his wife, Lynette. Dawson claimed Lynette walked out on the family, including two...
Mom Searching for Abducted
Son Is Slain in Mexico
Sep 1, 2022 1:41 PM CDT
Mom Searching for Abducted Son Is Slain in Mexico
Rosario Rodríguez Barraza killed on day dedicated to the disappeared
- Yet another mother searching for her disappeared son has been killed in northern Mexico, becoming the third volunteer search activist killed in Mexico since 2021. Rubén Rocha Moya, the governor of the northern state of Sinaloa, identified the dead woman Wednesday as Rosario Rodríguez Barraza—"a tireless...
US Marshals Capture
Most Wanted Fugitive
Aug 30, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
US Marshals Capture Most Wanted Fugitive
Retired detective worked to find daughter's alleged killer
- Former Guam Police Detective Josephine Wentzel changed career when she moved to California decades ago—but she came out of retirement after her daughter was murdered in 2016, and the alleged killer has now been caught. The US Marshals Service says Raymond "RJ" McLeod, a former Marine who had...
Bad News for Oklahoma
Murder Convict of Netflix Fame
Aug 30, 2022 11:55 AM CDT
Bad News for Oklahoma Murder Convict of Netflix Fame
Tommy Ward's 1989 conviction in murder of Donna Haraway is reinstated
- The murder conviction of a prisoner featured in the Netflix documentary series
The Innocent Man
will stand after all because he waited too long to raise concerns about suppressed evidence, a court has ruled. Tommy Ward, convicted in the 1984 murder of 24-year-old convenience store clerk Donna Haraway in Oklahoma,...
Aug 18, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Husband Undone by Fitbit Gets 65 Years
Connie Dabate was killed at home while their sons were in school
- A Connecticut man was sentenced Thursday to 65 years in prison for the 2015 killing of his wife, who prosecutors say was wearing a Fitbit exercise activity tracker with data that contradicted his statements to police. Richard Dabate, 46, of Ellington, was convicted by a jury in May of murder...
His 4th Execution Date Is Set
Even as New Evidence Surfaces
Aug 12, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
His 4th Execution Date Is Set Even as New Evidence Surfaces
Oklahoma lawmakers push for new hearing for death row inmate Richard Glossip
- In June, an outside law firm hired to review a murder case that landed a man on death row in Oklahoma concluded "no reasonable juror hearing the complete record would have convicted Richard Glossip of first-degree murder." Houston's Reed Smith found prosecutors had intentionally destroyed "key...
Possible Motive Emerges
in Albuquerque Murders
Aug 10, 2022 6:24 PM CDT
Possible Motive Emerges in Albuquerque Murders
Muhammed Syed may have been angered by daughter's marriage to Shiite Muslim
- The suspect charged with killing two Muslim men in Albuquerque and suspected of killing two more was on his way to Texas when he was arrested, police say. According to a criminal complaint, 51-year-old Muhammed Syed was around halfway between Albuquerque and the state line when police stopped his car...
After 40 Years, Arrest Made
in Murder of California Teen
Aug 10, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 40 Years, Arrest Made in Murder of California Teen
Karen Stitt, 15, was abducted from bus stop, raped, stabbed 59 times
- Investigators say they've tracked down the man who abducted 15-year-old Karen Stitt from a bus stop in California 40 years ago, raped her, stabbed her 59 times, and left her to die. The Santa Clara District Attorney's Office says Gary Ramirez, 75, was arrested in Hawaii last week...
Son Charged With Murdering
His Punk Pioneer Father
Aug 10, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Son Charged With Murdering His Punk Pioneer Father
Son of Gord Lewis is charged with his murder
- Gord Lewis, guitarist for pioneering Canadian punk band Teenage Head, was found dead Sunday—and his son has been arrested in the case. Jonathan Lewis, 41, is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Lewis, 65, the CBC reports. The band, which formed in the 1970s, said in a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Hurricane Ian's Approach 'Near Worst-Case' for Tampa
Fetterman Explains Tattoos After Tucker Carlson's Rant
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.