Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vatican Reminds Catholics
Freemasonry Is Banned
Nov 16, 2023 12:18 PM CST
Vatican Reminds Catholics Freemasonry Is Banned
Church believes those Catholics who join are in a state of 'grave sin'
- In 1738, Pope Clement XII declared Freemasonry an excommunicable offense, and the Catholic Church's position hasn't softened much since then. The Vatican this week confirmed its ban on Catholics becoming Freemasons, a secretive and ritualistic society with an estimated 6 million members worldwide. "Active membership in Freemasonry...
Hundreds Hear ChatGPT
Sermon, Sometimes Snickering
Jun 11, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Hundreds Hear ChatGPT Sermon, Sometimes Snickering
A theologian helped design a 40-minute service, which included music and prayers
- The artificial intelligence chatbot asked the believers in the fully packed St. Paul's church in the Bavarian town of Fuerth to rise from the pews and praise the Lord. The AP reports the ChatGPT chatbot, personified by an avatar of a bearded Black man on a huge screen above...
A Look at the State
of Religion in America
May 22, 2023 1:58 PM CDT
A Look at the State of Religion in America
Surveys find fewer Americans believe in God, go to church
- This is an interesting snapshot on the state of religion in America: As of 2022, not quite half of Americans have no doubt that God is watching over them, which is a little startling in that that number topped 60% in 2008, just 15 years ago. As the Hill reports,...
May 16, 2023 4:17 PM CDT
Study: More Americans Are Rethinking Religious Affiliations
Religious landscape is changing rapidly
- A growing number of Americans are switching religions, Axios reports. According to a Public Religion Research Institute Poll, almost a quarter of Americans follow a different denomination or tradition than the one they grew up in, including those who switched to no religious affiliation. This trend is supported by...
'He Gets Us' Jesus Campaign
Ticks Off Left and Right
Feb 14, 2023 9:40 AM CST
'He Gets Us' Jesus Campaign Ticks Off Left and Right
A look at the group behind the ads putting Jesus in the spotlight
- One of the ad campaigns during the Super Bowl that continues to draw attention pushed neither beer nor snacks. Instead, the two "He Gets Us" spots pushed none other than Jesus Christ. A look at the continuing reaction:
One shows Latin American families heading toward the US
The 'Nones' Are the 'Small but
Mighty' Group Voting for Dems
Dec 3, 2022 11:30 AM CST
The 'Nones' Are the 'Small but Mighty' Group Voting for Dems
Per AP VoteCast, voters with no religious affiliation supported Dem candidates, by a lot, in midterms
- When members of the small Pennsylvania chapter of Secular Democrats of America log on for their monthly meetings, they're not there for a virtual happy hour. "We don't sit around at our meetings patting ourselves on the back for not believing in God together," said founder...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Christians, Not-So-Great News Coming
Pew finds Christianity on track to no longer be America's majority religion within decades
- Christianity is currently the majority religion in the United States, but it's not on track to stay that way. CBS News reports on a new study by Pew Research Center and the General Social Survey that examines various scenarios of religious "switching" over the next few decades, and...
They Haven't Come
Knocking in 2-Plus
Years. They're Back
Sep 4, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
They Haven't Come Knocking in 2-Plus Years. They're Back
Jehovah's Witnesses making in-person rounds again after a pandemic hiatus since March 2020
- Jehovah's Witnesses have restarted their door-to-door ministry after more than two and a half years on hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, reviving a religious practice that the faith considers crucial and cherished. From coast to coast, members of the Christian denomination fanned out in cities and towns Thursday...
Gallup: US Belief
in God Hits a New Low
Jun 17, 2022 9:31 AM CDT
Gallup: US Belief in God Hits a New Low
It's dropped by 6% over the last 5 years
- The last five years has apparently taken a big toll on Americans' belief in God—especially among the young, the liberal, and Democrats. Gallup says that in its latest poll , a new low of 81% of Americans said they believed in God, down from 87% in 2017 and from a...
Slick Series About Jesus
Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
Nov 30, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Slick Series About Jesus Upends Crowdfunding Strategy
'The Chosen' is breaking new ground on that front, reports the 'Wall Street Journal'
- Like any Hollywood-esque production depicting Jesus' Sermon on the Mount,
needed plenty of extras for the scene. The twist here: In this case, the extras actually paid for the privilege, with most shelling out at least $1,000 each. Welcome to the unusual—and successful—production model of...
US Church Membership
Hits Record Low
Mar 29, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
US Church Membership Hits Record Low
Gallup says rate has fallen below 50% for the first time
- If you're an American who belongs to a church, synagogue, or mosque, you're now in a minority, according to a new Gallup poll . Gallup says church membership has fallen below 50% to a record low of 47%, largely due to a corresponding increase in the proportion of people...
Christian Group: 'Trump
Has Used Christianity'
Oct 17, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Christian Group: 'Trump Has Used Christianity'
'Not Our Faith' rolls out 6-figure TV and digital ad campaign
- A group of prominent Christians from both sides of the aisle, including a past faith adviser to former President Barack Obama, is forming a political action committee designed to chip away at Christian support for President Trump in the final weeks of the 2020 campaign, the AP reports. Dubbed Not...
Man Says He Was Hypnotized
Aug 19, 2020 6:35 PM CDT
Man Says He Was Hypnotized Into Marrying
Dash's estranged husband says pastor used 'hypnotic prayer techniques'
- Jeffrey Marty says he married Stacey Dash because he was entranced—and not in a good way. In a court filing, the
star's estranged husband says he married her on April 6, 2018, 10 days after her pastor "unexpectedly and suddenly proclaimed that it was God's...
Aug 6, 2020 5:50 PM CDT
Trump Says Biden Opposes Guns, Energy. Also, 'He's Against God'
Democrat's campaign says he lives his faith 'with dignity'
- President Trump warned Thursday of a radically different future for Americans under a President Joe Biden. "Take away your guns, take away your Second Amendment. No religion, no anything," Trump told supporters at the Cleveland airport. "Hurt the Bible. Hurt God. He’s against God." The...
Supreme Court Gives Victory
to Conservatives on Schools
Jun 30, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Victory to Conservatives on Schools
Upholds Montana program that aids religious schools
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday made it easier for religious schools to obtain public funds, upholding a Montana scholarship program that allows state tax credits for private schooling, per the AP . The court's 5-4 ruling, with conservatives in the majority, came in a dispute over a Montana scholarship program...
2019 Was a Bad Year
for One Kind of Killing
Dec 14, 2019 11:30 AM CST
2019 Was a Bad Year for One Kind of Killing
From Burkina Faso to California, houses of worship came under deadly fire
- On Dec. 1, a band of assailants opened fire on worshippers at a small-town Protestant church in Burkina Faso, an impoverished West African country where the Christian minority is increasingly a target of attacks. The victims included the pastor and several teenage boys; regional authorities attributed the attack to “...
Same-Sex Marriage Clash Ends
With Church, Pastor Removed
Jun 30, 2019 9:58 AM CDT
Same-Sex Marriage Clash Ends With Church, Pastor Removed
Minneapolis congregation plans to continue
- A Minneapolis denomination has evicted a church and defrocked its pastor over longstanding differences on same-sex marriage. The Evangelical Covenant Church voted to remove First Covenant Church and the Rev. Dan Collison, the
reports. It's the first time that a pastor and church have been kicked out...
He Was Once a Slave.
Now He May Become a Saint
Jun 13, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
He Was Once a Slave. Now He May Become a Saint
Pope deems Augustus Tolton, America's first black Roman Catholic priest, 'venerable'
- Pope Francis on Wednesday deemed the first known black Roman Catholic priest in the US to be "venerable," positioning the ex-slave for possible sainthood. The pontiff's designation of the Rev. Augustus Tolton as venerable, meaning the church intensely scrutinized his life and recognizes it as one of...
Dec 13, 2018 8:56 AM CST
LDS Church Supporters Cry 'Blasphemy' Over
Promo looks strikingly like painting of Jesus commissioned by the church
Once Upon a Deadpool
opened nationwide Wednesday, and while it's earning tepid reviews , its promo poster is drawing more heated reaction. Who's hot about it: supporters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which boasts a painting that looks to be the inspiration for the
Einstein's 'God Letter'
Fetches Ungodly Price
Dec 5, 2018 1:54 AM CST
Einstein's 'God Letter' Fetches Ungodly Price
Christie's unloads document calling 'the word God' as 'product of human weakness' for nearly $3M
- Albert Einstein didn't hold back in his famous 1954 "God letter," which fetched nearly $3 million at a Christie's auction Tuesday. "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.