Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Her Story Illustrates Risks
of Reporting Sexual Assault
Sep 18, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Her Story Illustrates Risks of Reporting Sexual Assault
Rachel Aviv examines the use of false alarm laws against those who make the accusation
- Arica Waters never said she was raped. She never even denied that she had consensual sex with Jeremy Berman. She later told a police investigator that she was drunk and didn’t really know what happened, but she felt “totally taken advantage of.” Ultimately, Waters wound up facing...
Sep 17, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Arrests Made After 'Upsetting' Incidents in Queen's Queue
One man accused of rushing her coffin, another for sexual assault against 2 women also waiting in line
- People have been emotional enough as they queue up to catch a glimpse of the coffin of the late Queen Elizabeth II, who's lying in state at London's Westminster Hall until her funeral on Monday. Two incidents this week made things even more stressful, according to authorities. In...
FBI Arrests Kansas Detective
12 Years After His Retirement
Sep 16, 2022 9:32 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Kansas Detective 12 Years After His Retirement
Roger Golubski allegedly used his position to sexually abuse two Black women
- A homicide detective in Kansas used his position to sexually abuse two Black women, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday. Roger Golubski, 69, who retired from the Kansas City Police Department in 2010, has been arrested by the FBI. The indictment charging him with six counts of deprivation of civil...
Lori Vallow's Son Dropped
Sep 13, 2022 5:34 PM CDT
Charges Against Lori Vallow's Son Dropped
Colby Ryan had been charged with sexual assault in Arizona
: Sexual assault charges against the only surviving son of murder suspect Lori Vallow have been dropped. Colby Jordan Ryan, 26, was arrested in Arizona earlier this month after his estranged wife accused him of rape, NBC reports. "This office has filed a motion to dismiss without prejudice, which...
Woman Sues After Cops Use
Rape Kit DNA to Arrest Her
Sep 13, 2022 12:37 PM CDT
Woman Sues After Cops Use Rape Kit DNA to Arrest Her
She reported sexual assault in 2016, was arrested in theft case in 2021
- A woman whose own rape kit was used against her by police now wants some payback. The woman identified only as Jane Doe has sued the city of San Francisco for unspecified damages over the case that made national headlines, reports BuzzFeed . After the woman reported a sexual assault to...
Is a 'Fact of Life'
in case you missed it
Sep 4, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
In Antarctica, Sexual Misconduct Is a 'Fact of Life'
National Science Foundation report: Sexual assault, harassment ongoing at US research bases
- Sexual misconduct is alive and well on all seven continents. That's one takeaway from a new report commissioned by the National Science Foundation that concentrates on such accounts coming in from the bottom of the Earth. It identified an "ongoing, continuing" issue of "sexual harassment, stalking, and...
Accused of Rape
Aug 25, 2022 2:15 AM CDT
Brother Accused of Rape
Incident is not related to charges of domestic violence against Devin Ratray
- Actor Devin Ratray, best known for playing Kevin McCallister's bullying older brother Buzz in the
franchise, has been accused of rape and is the subject of a police investigation. Lisa Smith says Ratray raped her in New York City in 2017. After she saw that Ratray had...
Aug 19, 2022 9:17 AM CDT
Things Just Got Worse for Former Gravity CEO
A day after Dan Price resigned, a 'NYT' report details allegations of predatory behavior, rape
- If Dan Price's resignation Wednesday as CEO of Gravity Payments so he could fight "false accusations" seemed abrupt, what Axios is calling a "bombshell report" from the
New York Times
the next day fills in some of the blanks. It's authored by Karen Weise, who has...
After USC Adds Safety Rules,
6 Frats Break School Ties
Aug 17, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
After USC Adds Safety Rules, 6 Frats Break School Ties
New policy includes having security guards at parties
- In response to reports of sexual assaults at fraternity events last year and the student protests that followed, the University of Southern California imposed new security policies to take effect for this school year. But six fraternities have now decided to break official ties with the university rather than implement...
Actor Is Being Abused
Aug 3, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Actor Is Being Abused
Edie McClurg, who suffers from dementia, is under a conservatorship
- Edie McClurg is known for delivering the line " They think he's a righteous dude " in 1986's
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
. But her family says the man currently living with the 76-year-old actor, who is under a conservatorship and suffers from dementia, is not a righteous...
Not Wearing a Condom Could
Be Sexual Assault, Court Rules
Jul 30, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Not Wearing a Condom Could Be Sexual Assault, Court Rules
Ignoring a partner's request could bring a criminal conviction, Canadian ruling says
- Refusing to wear a condom during sex after being asked to by a partner could be a crime, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled. In a unanimous decision, the court said pretending to use a condom or taking one off before sex without the partner's consent, sometimes called stealthing,...
and It Backs
Jul 18, 2022 8:22 AM CDT
A Transcript Is Unsealed, and It Backs Polanski's Claim
Prosecutor testified that judge privately revealed he'd break his promise, send Polanski to prison
- A Los Angeles judge privately told lawyers he would renege on a promise and imprison Roman Polanski for having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977, a former prosecutor testified, setting the stage for the renowned director to flee the US as a fugitive. A previously sealed transcript obtained...
Kevin Spacey Pleads Not Guilty,
Faces Trial in UK Next Year
Jul 14, 2022 7:06 AM CDT
Kevin Spacey Pleads Not Guilty, Faces Trial in UK Next Year
He's pleaded not guilty to 5 sexual assault charges
- Kevin Spacey, who said in May that he would go to Britain to defend himself against sexual assault charges, will be going on trial next year. The actor arrived at London's famed Old Bailey court Thursday morning to formally enter a plea, Sky News reports. He pleaded not guilty...
LA County DA:
Jul 13, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
LA County DA: Unseal Secret Transcript in Polanski Case
Filmmaker's lawyers say testimony of ex-prosecutor could free Polanski in 1977 sex abuse case
- Twice, Roman Polanski's legal team has tried to resolve his sexual abuse case in the US, to no avail. They're hoping the third time will be the charm, as the current Los Angeles County district attorney has agreed to unseal an important transcript that his predecessors have kept...
Victims Go After
FBI for $1B
Jun 8, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Simone Biles, Other Nassar Victims Go After FBI for $1B
'Time for the FBI to be held accountable'
- Former Olympic gymnasts, including gold medalist Simone Biles, are among dozens of assault victims who are seeking more than $1 billion from the FBI for failing to stop sports doctor Larry Nassar, lawyers said Wednesday. There's no dispute that FBI agents in 2015 knew that Nassar was accused of...
Cosby Kiss at
14: 'I Couldn't
Jun 4, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Woman Alleges Cosby Kiss at 14: 'I Couldn't Get Away'
Woman, now 61, testified that unwanted kiss happened in trailer on movie set in 1975
- A woman testified Friday that she was 14 when Bill Cosby took her into a trailer on a movie set in 1975, grabbed her so she couldn't move her arms, and kissed her. "I was struggling to get away," she said. "It was very shocking."...
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going
to UK to Clear My Name
May 31, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going to UK to Clear My Name
Actor says he is 'confident' he will be cleared of latest abuse allegations
Kevin Spacey says he will travel to Britain to defend himself in court against new allegations of sexual abuse and is "confident" he'll be cleared. In a statement released by his attorney on Tuesday, the actor said he will "voluntarily appear in the UK as soon...
Cosby's Lawyers Angry as
Accuser Tweaks Her Story
May 18, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Cosby's Lawyers Angry as Accuser Tweaks Her Story
Civil sex assault trial is scheduled to begin Monday
- With jury selection less than a week away, attorneys scrambled to deal with shifting evidence Tuesday in Bill Cosby's civil trial over allegations that he sexually assaulted a teenage girl at the Playboy mansion nearly 50 years ago. Plaintiff Judy Huth said in a recent court filing that she...
Made Rape Comment
Loses in GOP District
May 4, 2022 4:52 PM CDT
Republican Who Made Rape Comment Loses in GOP District
Others in his party denounced Robert Regan's advice to his daughters
: A Republican candidate whose comments about enjoying rape were denounced by members of his party lost his bid for a seat in the Michigan House on Tuesday. Robert "RJ" Regan was favored to win the special election in the heavily Republican district, the
Detroit Free Press
for 324 Games
Apr 29, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
MLB Suspends Trevor Bauer for 324 Games
Dodgers pitcher says he'll appeal harshest penalty yet under the domestic violence policy
- Trevor Bauer, the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher accused by a woman of sexually assaulting her twice last year, has been suspended for two years by Major League Baseball. The action, announced Friday by Commissioner Rob Manfred, is the most severe imposed yet under MLB's domestic violence policy, ESPN reports....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.