Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Guilty of Murder in
Deaths of Troopers, Pedestrian
Nov 23, 2023 1:20 PM CST
Woman Guilty of Murder in Deaths of Troopers, Pedestrian
Jayana Webb sentenced to up to 60 years in prison
- A woman has been sentenced to decades in prison after pleading guilty to driving under the influence and then striking and killing two state troopers and a pedestrian on an interstate in Philadelphia last year. Jayana Webb, 23, pleaded guilty Wednesday to three counts each of third-degree murder and homicide...
Race Goes to Dem
Nov 7, 2023 11:17 PM CST
Closely Watched Pennsylvania Supreme Court Race Goes to Dem
Daniel McCaffery beats Republican Carolyn Carluccio
- Democrat Dan McCaffery won an open seat on Pennsylvania's Supreme Court in Tuesday's general election, preserving a strong Democratic majority on a panel that has produced several critical election-related rulings in the presidential battleground state, the AP reports. The seven-member bench, which will be made up five Democrats...
Pa. Race May
Nov 7, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Pa. Race May Portend Future of Abortion, Voting Rights
Seat on the swing state's very influential Supreme Court is up for grabs in this election
- Pennsylvania voters will make a decision with implications for the future of voting and abortion rights in a presidential battleground state when they choose the winner in Tuesday's election for an open state Supreme Court seat. The race between Democrat Dan McCaffery and Republican Carolyn Carluccio will not change...
Runaway Pig Kevin Bacon
Gets Shoutout From Namesake
Nov 1, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Runaway Pig Kevin Bacon Gets Shoutout From Namesake
Pennsylvania pig back in pen after 17 days on the loose
- Kevin Bacon, a footloose pig, is back home after some encouragement from Kevin Bacon, the actor. The
star weighed in Saturday on what became a hilarious game of cat and mouse in his native Pennsylvania. On a Facebook page titled "Bring Kevin Bacon Home," Gettysburg resident Chelsea...
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted
Dozens Hears His Fate
Oct 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted Dozens Hears His Fate
Former Philly police officer Patrick Heron, 54, is sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison
- A former Philadelphia police officer has been sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting women and girls—often while in uniform and in the back of his police vehicle, per the AP . Patrick Heron, 54, entered his pleas Friday after reaching an...
After 128 Years on Display,
Mummy Finally Gets His Burial
Oct 10, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
After 128 Years on Display, Mummy Finally Gets His Burial
'Stoneman Willie' identified as James Murphy, of Irish descent from New York
- A dead man whose body sat on display for 128 years in Pennsylvania has finally been laid to rest. James Murphy—better known as "Stoneman Willie" due to his hardened skin, the result of an experimental embalming technique—was buried Saturday in Reading under a black tombstone carrying both...
Neighbors 'on Edge' After
Man Who Made Threats
Gets House Arrest
Sep 29, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
Neighbors 'on Edge' After Man Who Made Threats Gets House Arrest
'It doesn't really solve our problem'
- A Pennsylvania man who pleaded guilty to threatening to kill his neighbors has been sentenced to house arrest—right across the street from his victims. Jerome Mulligan, 41, pleaded guilty to retaliation against a witness or victim and a misdemeanor charge of terroristic threats,
Law & Crime
reports. Tyler Rupert...
Sep 28, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
Looting Continues in Philadelphia
Six more arrested after at least eight businesses were hit
- The looting in Philadelphia continues. At least eight businesses were burglarized overnight, resulting in six more arrests, say police, per NBC News . That brings to nearly 60 the number of arrests when combined with Tuesday night. The businesses raided Wednesday night included a Walmart, a Family Dollar, and an Auto...
All 9 Teens Who Escaped
From Juvie Are Captured
Sep 18, 2023 7:29 AM CDT
All 9 Teens Who Escaped From Juvie Are Captured
They fled after a riot at Pennsylvania detention facility
- All nine teens who escaped from a juvenile detention center in Pennsylvania on Sunday have been rounded up, reports CNN . The escapees, between the ages of 15 and 17, were captured less than 3 miles from Abraxas Academy in Morgantown. Authorities say they fled amid what has been described as...
Key to Fugitive's Survival:
a Watermelon Farm
Sep 14, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Key to Fugitive's Survival: a Watermelon Farm
Danelo Cavalcante eluded capture for two weeks in Pennsylvania, allegedly planned a carjacking
- So how did escaped prison inmate Danelo Cavalcante survive for two weeks in the woods of Pennsylvania? Authorities have revealed more details about Cavalcante's time on the lam—and his plans to stay free—before his capture on Wednesday .
Cavalcante lucked out by stumbling upon a watermelon farm
Photo of Cops With Recaptured
Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Sep 14, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Photo of Cops With Recaptured Killer Slammed as 'Inhumane'
Controversy arises over pic taken in Pennsylvania after Danelo Cavalcante was back in custody
- A group photo of about two dozen officers in tactical gear posing with escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante minutes after his capture on Wednesday in southeastern Pennsylvania drew criticism from policing reform advocates and some members of the public. The moment of the photo was captured by a KYW-TV television news...
How Prison Escapee
Sep 13, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
How Prison Escapee Danelo Cavalcante Was Captured
Thermal heat technology, a US Border Patrol dog were key
- The hunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania came to a close on Wednesday morning, with Chester County authorities announcing his capture in a broadcast radio call made at 8:18am. "I'm proud to announce the subject is in custody. Repeating, subject is in custody," said...
'Training Was His
Suffering,' Says Mom
Sep 13, 2023 2:05 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer's 'Training Was His Suffering,' Says Mom
She insists her son is not a danger to the public
- As the manhunt for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante continues in Pennsylvania, his mother, in her first interview since he fled Chester County Prison on August 31, says the 34-year-old has been essentially training for survival his entire life. "His training was his suffering," Iracema Cavalcante tells the
Has Now Armed Himself
Sep 12, 2023 2:50 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Has Now Armed Himself
As of early Tuesday, police said they were in active pursuit
- Convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from Pennsylvania's Chester County Prison on August 31, and despite multiple sightings , he still has not been recaptured. On Monday afternoon, police said there was no longer a defined search area for the manhunt, though Cavalcante was still believed to be in the county,...
Went to the Homes
of His Former Co-Workers
Sep 11, 2023 1:40 AM CDT
Escaped Murderer Went to the Homes of His Former Co-Workers
And is now miles outside the original search area
- Escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante showed up at the homes of two of his former colleagues Saturday night, police say. The convicted killer, who escaped from Pennsylvania's Chester County Prison on August 31, first went to the East Pikeland Township home of someone he worked with several years ago, the...
Prison Escapee Now Has
Sep 10, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Prison Escapee Now Has 'Changed Appearance'
Pennsylvania police released updated photos of Danelo Cavalcante
- An escaped murderer on the run for more than a week in southeast Pennsylvania has been spotted with what police called "a changed appearance," per the AP . Pennsylvania State Police said in a statement on Sunday that Danelo Cavalcante was seen overnight near Phoenixville in northern Chester County....
With the Man
Who Killed Her
Sister on the Loose,
Sep 8, 2023 1:31 AM CDT
With the Man Who Killed Her Sister on the Loose, She's Terrified
Sister of prison escapee's victim speaks out
- It's been more than a week since Danelo Cavalcante escaped from a Pennsylvania prison , and the family of the woman he murdered is "terrified," says the Chester County district attorney. "They do have protection, and they are terrified. They haven't left their home," DA...
Murderer Used 'Crab Walk' to
Escape Pennsylvania Prison
Sep 7, 2023 1:28 AM CDT
Murderer Used 'Crab Walk' to Escape Pennsylvania Prison
Search for Danelo Cavalcante enters 8th day
- Thursday marks one week since convicted murderer Danelo Cavalcante escaped from a Pennsylvania prison, and the search continues in Chester County, about 25 miles west of Philadelphia. The reward for information leading to his capture has been increased to $20,000. On Wednesday, officials detailed how exactly the 34-year-old, who...
'Even While I Was in the House,
I Would Have My Doors Locked'
Sep 6, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
'Even While I Was in the House, I Would Have My Doors Locked'
Danelo Cavalcante still has not been found in Pennsylvania
- The search for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante entered its seventh day Wednesday, with the community around the Chester County Prison, from which he escaped Thursday, on high alert. A Pennsylvania State Police lieutenant said that if his home were around the search area, "even while I was in the...
From His Mom
Sep 5, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Cops Hunting Escaped Killer Play Message From His Mom
Authorities are still searching for Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania
- As authorities continue to search for escaped murderer Danelo Cavalcante in Pennsylvania, a message from his mom is being broadcast from helicopters and patrol cars. An officer with the US Marshals Office explains the message was recorded "in the hopes that perhaps, as desperate as he is, maybe he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.