Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Airline Gets Creative in Getting
Travelers to Take Middle Seat
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 29, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Airline Gets Creative in Getting Travelers to Take Middle Seat
Virgin Australia launches $147K lottery, with prizes each week for those who sit in least desirable spots
- Is there ever anyone who actually
the middle seat during a flight? If there is, we haven't met them, but that may soon change thanks to some coaxing on the matter by Virgin Australia. Per a recent social media poll offered by the airline, a paltry 0.6%...
US Suspends 26 Flights
in Spat With China
Aug 26, 2022 3:56 AM CDT
US Suspends 26 Flights in Spat With China
DoT says US airlines were treated unfairly under COVID agreement
- The US government is suspending 26 flights by Chinese airlines from the United States to China in a dispute over anti-virus controls after Beijing suspended flights by American carriers. The Department of Transportation on Thursday complained Beijing violated an air travel agreement and treated airlines unfairly under a system that...
Aug 23, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
The Best US Airlines, Ranked
The Points Guy crowns Delta as king
- The Points Guy website is out with its annual ranking of US airlines, and Delta comes out on top by a rather comfortable margin. The top-10 ranking takes into account all the factors you'd expect—on-time flights, cancellations, general reliability, cost, scheduling, frequent-flier perks, and more. Here are the...
Traveler Receives Interesting
'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Miriam Porter's TikTok on the water bottle, napkin she was served on Air Canada has gone viral
- Airline food isn't known for being particularly memorable, but Miriam Porter isn't likely to forget the one she was served on Air Canada anytime soon. Among the "special meals" the airline has listed on its website are vegetarian and vegan options, and Porter, a Canadian travel blogger...
Passenger Jet Turns Back
Over Pilot's Certification
May 5, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Passenger Jet Turns Back Over Pilot's Certification
Virgin Atlantic co-pilot hadn't taken his final assessment flight with the airline
- As far as reasons go for a passenger jet having to turn around midflight, it's a weird one. A Virgin Atlantic flight returned to UK's Heathrow Airport after 40 minutes because the co-pilot technically wasn't qualified to fly, reports the BBC . It may sound worse than it...
Qantas Announces Big Move
Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
May 2, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Qantas Announces Big Move Against 'Tyranny of Distance'
Airline will offer direct flights from Sydney to London, New York starting in 2025
- The journey from Sydney to London once took nearly 60 hours and consisted of seven stops along the way. Now, an update from Qantas on that front, via what it calls its "Project Sunrise." Australia's flagship airline announced Monday that in 2025 it will debut a nonstop...
American Airlines Is
Bringing Back Alcohol
Mar 18, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
American Airlines Is Bringing Back Alcohol
Airline says service will be restored April 18
- The federal mask mandate for airline passengers expires on April 18, and while it's not clear whether it will be extended, American Airlines has decided that's the right day to bring back alcohol service. The move will make American, while is also bringing back food, the last major...
Budget Airline Merger Could
Create 5th-Largest US Carrier
Feb 7, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Budget Airline Merger Could Create 5th-Largest US Carrier
Frontier has offered $3B to scoop up Spirit Airlines
- Frontier is offering to buy Spirit Airlines in a $2.9 billion cash-and-stock deal that will create the nation's fifth largest carrier. The tie-up is valued at $6.6 billion when accounting for the assumption of debt and other liabilities. The companies said Monday that the transaction will provide...
Flight Attendants' Union
Peeved by Southwest Move
Feb 4, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Flight Attendants' Union Peeved by Southwest Move
It doesn't want to see the resumption of alcohol sales on flights
- Southwest Airlines will resume alcohol sales on most of its flights this month following a nearly two-year hiatus. COO Mike Van de Ven said last week that the resumption would likely come late in the first quarter or early in the next quarter, per CNBC . The date is now confirmed...
Is the Best
of All Major
Jan 28, 2022 10:30 AM CST
This Airline Is the Best of All Major US Carriers
'WSJ' puts Delta at the top of its annual list, JetBlue at the bottom
- Between industrywide woes , unruly passengers , and sharing a name with a coronavirus variant, one could say the pandemic has not been kind to Delta Air Lines. Now, a bit of good news has come Delta's way, as it takes the top spot in the
Wall Street Journal
After Dire Warning, a
Change to 5G Rollout
Jan 19, 2022 12:18 AM CST
After Dire Warning, a Change to 5G Rollout
AT&T, Verizon delay turning on some of the new 5G cell towers
- AT&T and Verizon will delay launching new wireless service near key airports after the nation’s largest airlines said the service would interfere with aircraft technology and cause widespread flight disruptions, the AP reports. The decision from the companies came Tuesday as the Biden administration intervened to broker a...
This Is the Safest
Airline in the World
Jan 8, 2022 9:30 AM CST
This Is the Safest Airline in the World
Air New Zealand takes top spot in AirlineRatings.com's annual ranking
- People are flying again, though the current COVID surge has put a damper on many a winter vacation. If you're going to fly, though, you'll want to make sure your airline of choice is following best practices for safety—which is why AirlineRatings.com's latest ranking comes...
Pilots Are Returning to Work,
and Some Are Making Mistakes
Oct 15, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Pilots Are Returning to Work, and Some Are Making Mistakes
Many have barely flown for 18 months
- If you haven't flown for a long time because of the pandemic, you're far from alone—tens of thousands of pilots worldwide have barely flown in the last 18 months, and rusty pilots tend to make mistakes. Bloomberg reports that dozens of incidents involving out-of-practice pilots have been...
Here Are the World's
Sep 28, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Here Are the World's Best Airlines
Qatar Airways takes the top spot
- It's been a "less than regular" year for aviation, per CNN Travel , but there's definitely been more travel this year than last. For its annual airlines ranking, Skytrax did something a little different: Its customer survey, which asked about the performance and quality of more than 350...
After Airline's New Penalty,
More Workers Get Shots
Sep 10, 2021 10:36 AM CDT
After Airline's New Penalty, More Workers Get Shots
Delta imposes $200 monthly surcharge on the unvaccinated
- Delta Air Lines' push to have unvaccinated workers get the jab appears to be working. Some 20% of the airline's unvaccinated employees have received a coronavirus vaccine in the two weeks since Delta announced that unvaccinated workers who get health insurance through the airline will face a $200 monthly...
Unvaccinated Delta Workers
to Pay $200 Monthly Charge
Aug 25, 2021 10:09 AM CDT
Unvaccinated Delta Workers to Pay $200 Monthly Charge
That's a health insurance surcharge
- Delta employees don't have to be vaccinated like United employees do , but those who aren't will have to jump through some hoops. Specifically:
The company on Wednesday announced that as of today, unvaccinated employees will have to be masked in Delta's offices.
As of Sept. 12, unvaccinated
US Orders Airliners
Into Afghan Service
Aug 22, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
US Orders Airliners Into Afghan Service
Pentagon invokes rarely used emergency program to take over planes
- The Defense Department on Sunday ordered US airlines to contribute planes for use in evacuating Afghan refugees. The 18 aircraft will transport evacuees to and from military bases in Germany, Qatar and Bahrain, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. They will not go into Kabul. So far, C-17 cargo planes have...
3 Alaska Airlines
Employees Die of COVID
Aug 18, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
3 Alaska Airlines Employees Die of COVID
Airline is considering making vaccination mandatory
- Alaska Airlines is considering making vaccination mandatory after the deaths of three employees from COVID-19 in the space of a month. Anchorage-based Capt. Eric Moss, 53, died Sunday, reports the
. Sources tell the
that Moss, a mechanic who died in late July in California, and a customer...
United to 67K Employees:
Get Vaccinated or Get Fired
Aug 6, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
United to 67K Employees: Get Vaccinated or Get Fired
United Airlines says workers will have to be inoculated by Oct. 25
- In May, Delta Air Lines announced it would require new hires to get the COVID-19 vaccine. In June, United Airlines followed suit. Now, the latter is taking it a step further, mandating that all of its 67,000 US employees, from pilots and flight attendants to gate agents, get vaccinated....
The Best Airlines, Ranked
Jul 20, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
The Best Airlines, Ranked
Qatar is No. 1, while United is only American airline to crack the top 10
- The site AirlineRatings is out with its annual ranking of the world's airlines, and a new champ has been crowned after a year upended by the pandemic. Qatar Airways comes in at No. 1, while United is the only American airline (No. 8) to make the top 10. This...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.