Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Unvaccinated Delta Workers
to Pay $200 Monthly Charge
Aug 25, 2021 10:09 AM CDT
Unvaccinated Delta Workers to Pay $200 Monthly Charge
That's a health insurance surcharge
- Delta employees don't have to be vaccinated like United employees do , but those who aren't will have to jump through some hoops. Specifically:
The company on Wednesday announced that as of today, unvaccinated employees will have to be masked in Delta's offices.
As of Sept. 12, unvaccinated
US Orders Airliners
Into Afghan Service
Aug 22, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
US Orders Airliners Into Afghan Service
Pentagon invokes rarely used emergency program to take over planes
- The Defense Department on Sunday ordered US airlines to contribute planes for use in evacuating Afghan refugees. The 18 aircraft will transport evacuees to and from military bases in Germany, Qatar and Bahrain, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. They will not go into Kabul. So far, C-17 cargo planes have...
3 Alaska Airlines
Employees Die of COVID
Aug 18, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
3 Alaska Airlines Employees Die of COVID
Airline is considering making vaccination mandatory
- Alaska Airlines is considering making vaccination mandatory after the deaths of three employees from COVID-19 in the space of a month. Anchorage-based Capt. Eric Moss, 53, died Sunday, reports the
. Sources tell the
that Moss, a mechanic who died in late July in California, and a customer...
United to 67K Employees:
Get Vaccinated or Get Fired
Aug 6, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
United to 67K Employees: Get Vaccinated or Get Fired
United Airlines says workers will have to be inoculated by Oct. 25
- In May, Delta Air Lines announced it would require new hires to get the COVID-19 vaccine. In June, United Airlines followed suit. Now, the latter is taking it a step further, mandating that all of its 67,000 US employees, from pilots and flight attendants to gate agents, get vaccinated....
The Best Airlines, Ranked
Jul 20, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
The Best Airlines, Ranked
Qatar is No. 1, while United is only American airline to crack the top 10
- The site AirlineRatings is out with its annual ranking of the world's airlines, and a new champ has been crowned after a year upended by the pandemic. Qatar Airways comes in at No. 1, while United is the only American airline (No. 8) to make the top 10. This...
Yet Another Airline
Pulls Back on the Booze
Jun 3, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Yet Another Airline Pulls Back on the Booze
United joins Southwest, American in limiting or suspending alcohol service over unruly passengers
- A third airline has hopped on the "curtail alcohol" bandwagon after a slew of increasingly aggressive in-flight incidents, many related to unruly passengers balking at having to wear face masks. Airlines in general had suspended serving alcohol during the pandemic to limit passenger-flight attendant interaction and prevent spreading the...
Delta to Employees: Please
Work in Lounges for Free
in case you missed it
May 16, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
Delta to Employees: Please Work in Lounges for Free
Company is short on workers at Atlanta airport
- With air travel picking up again, Delta Air Lines is short on workers for its loyalty lounges—and it is asking employees to help out for free. "Just come to the ATL airport for a few hours to help with cleaning, wiping tables, running food, restocking food buffets, etc,...
Keeping That Middle Seat
Empty? Delta to Kill Policy
Mar 31, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Keeping That Middle Seat Empty? Delta to Kill Policy
It's the last US airline to do so
- Delta Air Lines, the last US airline still blocking middle seats, will end that policy in May as air travel recovers and more people become vaccinated against COVID-19. The decision announced Wednesday reversed a policy that had been in place since last April, and which Delta's CEO had repeatedly...
Airline: We'll Tell You
Where You're Going,
Just Before You Land
Mar 3, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Airline: We'll Tell You Where You're Going, Just Before You Land
Qantas resumes 'mystery flights' for Australian passengers
- Australia's flag carrier has just the thing for people desperate to get away, so long as they don't care where they're going. In the hope of boosting the beleaguered tourism industry amid international travel restrictions, Qantas is asking Australian passengers to hop aboard one of three "...
Frontier: Maskless Fliers, Not
Anti-Semitism, Canceled Flight
Mar 2, 2021 7:49 AM CST
Frontier: Maskless Fliers, Not Anti-Semitism, Canceled Flight
Flight out of Miami to NYC canceled after Sunday incident with Hasidic Jewish passengers
- A chaotic scene on a Frontier Airlines flight before takeoff ended with a group of Hasidic Jews being asked to leave, the entire plane eventually being emptied, and now, accusations of anti-Semitism—all over what the airline says was the group's refusal to wear face masks. The incident took...
Air Traffic Control to 'Throw
Out the Old Rules' to Save Fuel
Feb 12, 2021 9:04 AM CST
Air Traffic Control to 'Throw Out the Old Rules' to Save Fuel
Pilots helming trans-Atlantic flights between Canada, UK can now pick their own flight paths thanks to pandemic
- In 2020, the Environmental Protection Agency released its first-ever rules on airlines emissions, designed to cut down on air pollution, per the Hill . Now, a new collaboration will hopefully help reduce airlines' carbon footprint even further. The typically congested airspace between North America and Europe used to boast around 1,...
Test Domestic Passengers?
Bad Idea, Say the Airlines
Jan 29, 2021 11:01 AM CST
Test Domestic Passengers? Bad Idea, Say the Airlines
The CDC is 'actively looking at' such a rule
- Health officials in the Biden administration have floated the idea of requiring passengers on domestic flights to show proof of a negative COVID test. On Thursday, executives of major airlines made clear they hate the idea. "A mistake" and a "real goat rodeo" were two of the quotes...
Airline Mechanic Crushed
to Death in Chicago
Dec 17, 2020 12:55 PM CST
Airline Mechanic Crushed to Death in Chicago
Jijo George leaves behind a toddler and expectant wife
- An airline mechanic died Sunday after he was crushed by machinery at Chicago's O'Hare airport. The 35-year-old—identified on a GoFundMe page as Jijo George—provided ground support for Envoy Air, an American Airlines subsidiary that flies under the name American Eagle, reports
. He suffered multiple...
Boeing 737 Max Is
Cleared for Takeoff
Nov 18, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Boeing 737 Max Is Cleared for Takeoff
After fixes, issue with plane's nose 'can no longer happen'
- Following two fatal crashes and 20 months on the ground, the Boeing 737 Max has been cleared to fly in the US. The FAA said Wednesday that a review process was complete and the plane could take to the skies—but only after necessary changes are made, pilots receive simulator...
Something the 1% Do
Nov 18, 2020 8:29 AM CST
Here's Another Something the 1% Do
1% of the population causes about half of air travel emissions, and researchers say it's time to rethink
- With a 50% drop in passengers taking to the skies in 2020, there's no better time to overhaul an industry responsible for dangerous carbon emissions, according to researchers. "If you want to resolve climate change … then we should start at the top, where a few 'super...
Longest Flight in US
Is Coming Back
Oct 23, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Longest Flight in US Is Coming Back
Hawaiian Airlines will bring back flights from Honolulu to Boston in mid-December
- Wheels up—the longest domestic flight in America is coming back, just in time for the holidays. In a statement this week, Hawaiian Airlines announced it will once more start up its twice-a-week nonstop service between Honolulu's Daniel K. Inouye International Airport and Boston's Logan International Airport, a...
Airline Now Selling Its
Meals in Supermarkets
Oct 15, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Airline Now Selling Its Meals in Supermarkets
Finnair wants to satisfy 'wanderlust'
- Finnair says it wants to keep its catering staff employed—and bring a taste of air travel to hungry Finns stuck at home because of the pandemic. The airline says it's planning to sell business-class meals in supermarkets, and the choices will be more exciting than "beef or...
Mass Layoffs at Airlines:
'It Didn't Have to Be This Way'
Oct 1, 2020 7:26 AM CDT
Mass Layoffs at Airlines: 'It Didn't Have to Be This Way'
Tens of thousands of furloughs at American, United after deadline for Congress deal passes
- Nineteen thousand workers at American Airlines and 13,000 at United are getting bad news this week, and they may not be the only ones. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the two airlines are laying off tens of thousands of employees after Congress was unable to OK a coronavirus relief...
He Asked Crew Member to
Wear a Mask. He Got Booted
Sep 9, 2020 12:09 PM CDT
He Asked Crew Member to Wear a Mask. He Got Booted
Allegiant Air says passenger was 'disruptive' during preflight safety briefing
- An Allegiant Air passenger was booted off a flight this week over a face mask dispute—but he wasn't the one not complying with the airline's policy. In the incident on a Monday flight from Punta Gorda, Fla., to Portsmouth, NH, the passenger reportedly told a flight attendant...
Black Woman Harassed by
Seatmate: Delta Did Me Right
Sep 4, 2020 7:50 AM CDT
Black Woman Harassed by Seatmate: Delta Did Me Right
Demetria Poe says airline took care of her after white seatmate got confrontational
- A young Black kindergarten teacher from Minnesota has a new favorite airline after the way it handled an unpleasant incident with a fellow passenger. Per
, 25-year-old Demetria Poe took a Delta Air Lines flight last month from Minneapolis to Washington, DC, to attend the Commitment March for racial...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.