Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
House of Representatives
Stories 1 - 20 |
House Hardliners Deliver
Another Defeat to McCarthy
Sep 21, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
House Hardliners Deliver Another Defeat to McCarthy
Defense funding bill is blocked, raising fears of a government shutdown
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy emerged with a spending cut plan to prevent a federal government shutdown by appeasing his hard-right flank, only to see it quickly collapse Thursday in a crushing defeat. His latest attempt to move ahead with a traditionally popular defense funding bill was shattered by a core...
Funding Deadline Looms
Sep 20, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
GOP 'Rebellion' as Government Funding Deadline Looms
Vote on stopgap spending measure scrapped as Republicans experience 'chaos'
- As a September 30 deadline to keep the government funded looms, House Republicans on Tuesday ditched a plan to take a procedural vote on a stopgap spending bill amid what Fox News describes as "chaos and acrimony" amongst the various GOP factions. Politico describes it as a raging rebellion,...
Nancy Pelosi: I'm Running
Again for My House Seat
Sep 8, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
Nancy Pelosi: I'm Running Again for My House Seat
It's a yes for 2024 for the 83-year-old Democratic congresswoman from California
- Nancy Pelosi may be well above the median age (58) for members of the House of Representatives, but the 83-year-old Democratic congresswoman has no intentions of leaving anytime soon. Although the former speaker stepped away from any possible leadership post in Congress last fall, Pelosi announced Friday that she plans...
Jul 14, 2023 12:19 PM CDT
House OKs Defense Bill With Eyebrow- Raising Extras
Add-ons in annual legislation include restrictions on abortion, transgender health care, diversity training
- The US House on Friday approved a sweeping annual defense bill that provides an expected 5.2% pay raise for service members but strays from traditional military policy with political add-ons from Republicans to block abortion coverage, diversity initiatives at the Pentagon, and transgender issues that deeply divided the chamber....
Dems Slam GOP Congressman
for Using 'Offensive' Term
Jul 14, 2023 10:18 AM CDT
Dems Slam GOP Congressman for Using 'Offensive' Term
Arizona Rep. Eli Crane earned House rebuke for calling Black Americans 'colored people' in debate
- A freshman Republican congressman received an official rebuke on Thursday for the way he referenced Black Americans during a floor debate. The incident happened Thursday as GOP Rep. Eli Crane of Arizona tried to promote an amendment he'd proposed to the National Defense Authorization Act, one in which the...
Makes the Call
Jul 8, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
House or Senate Run? Top Dem Makes the Call
Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin is going for his 5th term in the House of Representatives
- Congressman Jamie Raskin has launched his latest election campaign—but it's not for US Senate, as some had speculated. WBFF reports that the Democrat, who represents Maryland's 8th District in the US House of Representatives, announced Friday he'll be running for his fifth term in the House,...
She Could Be
US' First Trans
Jun 26, 2023 12:33 PM CDT
She Could Be US' First Trans Congresswoman
Sarah McBride, a Delaware state senator, is launching campaign for seat as a US rep
- Sarah McBride won her race for Delaware state senator in 2020 with 70% of the vote, becoming the nation's first transgender state senator. In her reelection race, no one bothered to oppose her. The 32-year-old is hoping to translate that popularity into yet another first for a trans lawmaker:...
Far Right Takes
'House Floor Hostage'
Jun 8, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Far Right Takes 'House Floor Hostage'
Conservative members block GOP advancements in protest of debt limit deal
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is facing "the most serious threat yet to his leadership" as a group of far-right conservatives, including several who sought to thwart his election, have "essentially taken the House floor hostage," per the Hill . Eleven Republicans led by members of the House Freedom...
in House Is Met
May 25, 2023 8:39 AM CDT
Greene's Call for 'Decorum' in House Is Met With Laughter
Democrats jeer her after she scolds them while presiding over the chamber
- Marjorie Taylor Greene presided over the House on Wednesday as speaker pro tempore, and her critics are relishing one moment in particular. At one point, she banged the gavel and called for decorum, only to be met with laughter and jeers from Democrats, reports the
. See the moment here...
Expulsion Is Punted,
a 'Shouting Match'
May 18, 2023 6:59 AM CDT
After Santos Expulsion Is Punted, a 'Shouting Match'
After vote to refer his case to House Ethics Committee, chaos on the Capitol steps
- House Democrats' push to expel from Congress GOP freshman Rep. George Santos, recently indicted on a list of criminal charges, wasn't expected to earn the two-thirds majority needed to do so, and it didn't. The 221-204 vote Wednesday, which followed party lines, instead decided to refer a resolution...
The Picture Being Painted
by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
May 17, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
The Picture Being Painted by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
Words 'confident' and 'optimistic' are getting used, but there's a ways to go
- As the clock ticks down to June 1, the president and congressional leaders continue to sound off about the likelihood of striking a deal on raising the debt ceiling. President Biden held a second Oval Office meeting with House and Senate leaders Kevin McCarthy, Hakeem Jeffries, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch...
Biden Signs Bill to Release
Intelligence on COVID Origins
Mar 20, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Biden Signs Bill to Release Intelligence on COVID Origins
Bipartisan legislation gives agency 90 days
- President Biden on Monday signed a bill directing the government to declassify intelligence about how COVID-19 originated. The law allows redactions to protect sensitive sources and methods, Axios reports. It requires the Office of the Director of National Intelligence to act within 90 days. "My administration will declassify and...
Mar 20, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Santos Has a Challenger Who's 'Just Had Enough'
Law prof William Murphy lives in 3rd District, says freshman rep must go by any means necessary
- George Santos is all of two and a half months into his tenure as New York's 3rd Congressional District rep, and he's already got a challenger for the seat—a St. John's University law prof who says he's "just had enough" of Santos' shenanigans. Says...
Star of '90s Teen Sitcom
Is Running for Congress
Mar 7, 2023 6:16 PM CST
Star of '90s Teen Sitcom Is Running for Congress
'Boy Meets World' star Ben Savage joins race for Rep. Adam Schiff's seat
Boy Meets World
star Ben Savage wants the next chapter of his life to be Man Meets Congress. The 42-year-old is running as a Democrat for a House seat in a Los Angeles-area district, reports Reuters . The heavily Democratic District 30 includes Hollywood. "I am a proud Californian, union...
Democrat Makes History With
Special Election Win in Virginia
Feb 22, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Democrat Makes History With Special Election Win in Virginia
Democrat Jennifer McClellan will be first Black woman to represent Virginia in Congress
- Virginia voters on Tuesday elected Democrat Jennifer McClellan, a veteran state legislator from Richmond, to fill an open seat in the US House of Representatives, where she will make history as the first Black woman to represent the state in Congress, the AP reports. “We will make this commonwealth...
House GOP Ousts Democrat
Omar From Major Committee
Feb 2, 2023 11:48 AM CST
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Republicans cite her anti-Israel comments, while Democrats see move as 'political revenge'
- House Republicans voted after a raucous debate Thursday to oust Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar from the chamber's major Foreign Affairs Committee, reports the AP . House Speaker Kevin McCarthy was able to solidify Republican support against Omar in the new Congress, although some GOP lawmakers had expressed reservations. Removal of...
George Santos Steps Down
From House Committees
Jan 31, 2023 9:44 AM CST
George Santos Steps Down From House Committees
But he apparently hopes to return to them eventually
- George Santos has resisted all calls to resign from Congress over his serial lies , but he's relenting on one thing: The New York representative told his GOP colleagues in the House that he'll step down from his committee assignments, report the
and Politico . Santos had been...
McCarthy on MTG: 'I Will
Never Leave That Woman'
Jan 23, 2023 11:23 AM CST
McCarthy on MTG: 'I Will Never Leave That Woman'
'New York Times' has the background on their unlikely political alliance
- In his bumpy but ultimately successful bid to become House speaker , Kevin McCarthy had a strong and surprising ally on his side—hard-right firebrand Marjorie Taylor Greene. But as a deep dive by Jonathan Swan and Catie Edmondson makes clear in the
New York Times
, their unlikely political alliance had...
A GOP Veteran
Has to Go
Jan 19, 2023 11:47 AM CST
A GOP Veteran of Congress Says Santos Has to Go
Former Rep. Peter King says the serial fabricator cannot possibly be effective in the House
- Lots of people think George Santos ought to resign from Congress because of the seemingly unending series of deceptions attributed to him (the latest involves a dying dog ). One person who might have better perspective than most is Peter King, who served in Congress for nearly three decades and...
Greene, Other Right-Wing
GOPers Picked for Committees
Jan 18, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Greene, Other Right-Wing GOPers Picked for Committees
Greene will sit on Oversight, Homeland Security panels if OKed; Gosar, Santos also selected for seats
- It's been noted that Marjorie Taylor Greene is vying for more of a power position within the Republican Party, and it looks like she just made some headway. The Hill reports the Georgia congresswoman was selected Tuesday by the GOP-led House Steering Committee to sit on the Homeland Security...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.