Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest post-presidency news about President Barack Obama on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Again Rules
DACA Is Illegal
Sep 13, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
Judge Again Rules DACA Is Illegal
Decision doesn't shut down program but probably sends it back to the Supreme Court
- The federal program that has prevented the deportation of hundreds of thousands of undocumented young adults has been ruled illegal again, a decision that could send DACA to the US Supreme Court for the third time. In ruling that President Barack Obama exceeded his authority when he created the Deferred...
Jan. 6 Suspect Arrested
Near Obama Home After
Trump Shares Address
Jun 30, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Suspect Arrested Near Obama Home After Trump Shares Address
Sources say Taylor Taranto had weapons, ammunition in van
- A suspect wanted in connection with the Capitol attack was arrested near former President Obama's home in Washington, DC, on Thursday—and while the address is not a secret, it might not be a coincidence that former President Trump shared it on Truth Social hours earlier. A Truth Social...
Obamas React to
Jun 30, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Obamas React to Affirmative Action's Gutting
As does Trump, from the opposite point of view
- Following the Supreme Court ruling gutting affirmative action at US colleges and universities, Michelle Obama came forward to talk about how the policy affected her when she was an undergraduate student at Princeton University. Affirmative action "wasn't perfect," she wrote in a joint statement issued alongside her...
Unseen Photos Show Obama,
Aides During bin Laden Raid
Apr 28, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Unseen Photos Show Obama, Aides During bin Laden Raid
'Washington Post' obtains previously unreleased images from May 1, 2011
- As May 1, 2011, arrived—the day when the US was planning to carry out the raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan—cameras installed in the White House Situation Room were turned off. But the official photographers in President Barack Obama's White House kept shooting. Those photos,...
3 Presidents Rally Pennsylvania
Nov 5, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
3 Presidents Rally Pennsylvania
Biden, Trump, Obama make push before Tuesday's elections
- One current and two former US presidents campaigned in Pennsylvania on Saturday, reflecting the importance both parties place on the election there Tuesday. President Biden and former President Barack Obama appeared together and separately at rallies for the Democratic slate, including Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, the Senate nominee, and Attorney...
Barack Obama Is
Halfway to an EGOT
Sep 4, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Barack Obama Is Halfway to an EGOT
Former president wins Emmy for narrating national parks series
- Barack Obama is halfway to an EGOT. The former president won an Emmy Award on Saturday to go with his two Grammys. Obama won the best narrator Emmy for his work on the Netflix documentary series,
Our Great National Parks
. The five-part show, which features national parks from around the...
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His
Head in Famous Pic Reunite
May 28, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Obama, Kid Who Rubbed His Head in Famous Pic Reunite
Jacob Philadelphia, 5 when Pete Souza snapped photo, is now 18 and about to graduate high school
- Not every kid gets a video call from former President Barack Obama when they graduate high school. Jacob Philadelphia isn't just any kid, however. In 2009, Jacob, whose dad then served on the National Security Council, visited the White House as a 5-year-old and met up with Obama in...
Obamas Respond to
Roe v. Wade Opinion
May 4, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Obamas Respond to Roe v. Wade Opinion
They argue illegal abortions will risk health and lives
- The Supreme Court looks poised to "reverse nearly 50 years of precedent " and "relegate the most intensely personal decision someone can make to the whims of politicians and ideologues," according to former President Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, who've issued a concerned statement...
Listened to Mitt
Feb 23, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Growing Consensus on Russia: Should've Listened to Mitt
A look back at Romney's 2012 remarks on Russia being 'without question, our No. 1 geopolitical foe'
- As the world waits anxiously for his next move on Ukraine, Vladimir Putin continues to make demands over the crisis, exacerbated this week by his ordering of Russian troops into eastern Ukraine. Now, comments made about Russia a decade ago by Sen. Mitt Romney, then a presidential contender against incumbent...
Allies, Foes Recall Dole
as a Good-Humored Patriot
Dec 5, 2021 6:15 PM CST
Allies, Foes Recall Dole as a Good-Humored Patriot
Biden praises longtime Senate leader's 'unerring sense of integrity and honor'
- Leaders of both parties, including presidents, remembered longtime Sen. Bob Dole, who died Sunday, as a war hero who brought integrity to his decades of public service. They remembered his sense of humor, too, the
New York Times
reports. Reaction came from:
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed
Obama at 11 Dies at 23
May 15, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed Obama at 11 Dies at 23
Damon Weaver was on his way to a journalism career
- Getting to tell the president what you want in your school lunch is a dream come true for a kid. And landing an interview with a sitting president is a dream come true for a young reporter. Damon Weaver did both at the same time in 2009 , when he was...
Trump Posts 'Most Important
Speech I've Ever Made'
Dec 3, 2020 6:31 AM CST
Trump Posts 'Most Important Speech I've Ever Made'
He railed against the 'rigged' election for 46 minutes
- President Trump, saying it "may be the most important speech" he's ever made, posted a 46-minute diatribe against the election on Facebook Wednesday, repeating his claims that the election was "rigged" and that "tremendous and horrible fraud" had taken place. A White House official tells the...
Obama: 'Let Me
Guy on the
Nov 15, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Obama: 'Let Me Smack This Guy on the Head'
The former president gives a wide-ranging interview to Gayle King on 'CBS This Morning'
- Former President Obama sat down with Gayle King to plug his new memoir
A Promised Land
—and covered, among other things, why he once wanted to smack a congressman on the head. Obama admits he was "shocked" when Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouted "You lie!" as the...
In First Excerpt,
Oct 26, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
In First Excerpt, Obama Recalls Weightiest Fight in Congress
Focus is on passage of ObamaCare in 'New Yorker' release
is out with the first excerpt of former President Obama's forthcoming memoir,
A Promised Land
, and the focus is on how he and his team got ObamaCare passed. Before the legislative fight even began, Obama recounts a conversation with advisers Rahm Emanuel and David Axelrod, who...
Sep 17, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
'Extraordinary' Demand for Obama Memoir Expected
No. 44's 'A Promised Land' is due out Nov. 17, right after the election
- A release date has been set for the first part of former President Obama's memoir, and demand is expected to be "extraordinary," the
New York Times
A Promised Land
, the 768-page first installation of a two-volume set, will debut globally on Nov. 17 via Penguin Random...
for John Lewis 'Terrible'
Aug 5, 2020 1:22 PM CDT
Trump Calls Obama's Eulogy for John Lewis 'Terrible'
And 'totally inappropriate'
Fox & Friends
host Brian Kilmeade and President Trump gave their assessments of former President Barack Obama's eulogy for Rep. John Lewis , and it was essentially two thumbs down. Fox News reports the eulogy praised Lewis' efforts on the civil rights front, called for the strengthening of voting rights,...
I Misspoke in
an Obama Criticism
May 15, 2020 10:04 AM CDT
McConnell: I Misspoke in an Obama Criticism
Previous White House did leave behind a pandemic plan
- Mitch McConnell is walking back a criticism of President Obama. In an interview on Fox News Thursday, the Senate majority leader acknowledged that the Obama administration did, in fact, leave behind a plan for handling a pandemic, reports
. "I was wrong," McConnell said. "They did...
May 3, 2020 9:21 AM CDT
Drop Partisan Politics During 'Shared Threat,' Bush Asks
Former president releases video pleading for unity to defeat pandemic
- Former President George W. Bush saw the nation pull together in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Now, he's asking that Americans leave partisan politics behind and renew that spirit, which he said is still "alive and well in America." Bush made his plea in a...
Obama, Biden Have Same
Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
Feb 27, 2020 7:03 AM CST
Obama, Biden Have Same Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
- Barack Obama has remained relatively quiet on the political scene in the years since he left the Oval Office—but he's voicing his displeasure with an ad attacking his former VP. CNN reports that the law office representing Obama sent a cease-and-desist letter Wednesday to a GOP super PAC...
on US Economy,
Trump Hits Back
Feb 18, 2020 8:26 AM CST
Obama Remarks on US Economy, Trump Hits Back
'Did you hear the latest con job?'
- Presidents Day featured the current president of the United States going on the attack against a predecessor after President Trump became agitated by a tweet from former President Obama. Per the Hill , Obama started things off Monday morning by commemorating the 11th anniversary of his signing of the American Recovery...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.