Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Looking to Rent?
This Is the Best City for It
Oct 21, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Looking to Rent? This Is the Best City for It
Chandler, Arizona, tops Forbes Advisor's rankings
- It's not easy for everyone to enter the homeownership arena these days, thanks to high home prices and rising interest rates . Forking over a monthly payment to a landlord, therefore, may be the best option for many. Forbes Advisor went on the hunt for the best cities for renters,...
5 Young Women Prepping for
Friend's Wedding Killed in Crash
Jun 20, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
5 Young Women Prepping for Friend's Wedding Killed in Crash
Suspect allegedly sped through red light, hit their car
- The night before their friend's wedding, five young friends were out together in Minneapolis getting ready for the next day's celebration when a speeding driver ran a red light and rammed their car, killing all of them, police say. "These were individuals who had a bright future,...
DOJ: This 'Made
What Happened to
George Floyd Possible'
Jun 16, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
DOJ: This 'Made What Happened to George Floyd Possible'
After 2-year investigation, agency finds Minneapolis cops engaged in pattern of discrimination
- The Justice Department accused Minneapolis police Friday of engaging in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discriminating against Black and Native American people following an investigation prompted by the killing of George Floyd. The sweeping two-year civil rights investigation concluded that systemic problems in the Minneapolis Police Department "...
Detained in Squad Cars, They
Watched Police Kill Their Dad
May 22, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Detained in Squad Cars, They Watched Police Kill Their Dad
Minneapolis to pay $700,000 settlement with Chiasher Vue's family members
- The city of Minneapolis has agreed to a $700,000 settlement with family members who were locked inside two squad cars when police killed their father after officers refused their offers to try and help calm him down. As the AP reports, a federal judge ruled that officers were justified...
Here Are the
10 Best, Worst
US Cities to
Start a Career
May 16, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Start a Career
Atlanta takes the top spot on WalletHub's list, while the Big Apple comes in last
- Not sure where to kick off that career you've dreamed about for years? Whether you're a new grad or kick-starting a second job path for yourself, some cities have better resources than others for making such moves. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest...
Chauvin Kneed People Before
Floyd. It'll Cost His City $8.9M
Apr 14, 2023 10:39 AM CDT
Chauvin Kneed People Before Floyd. It'll Cost His City $8.9M
Minneapolis will pay to settle two lawsuits filed over 2017 incidents
- The city of Minneapolis agreed Thursday to pay nearly $9 million to settle lawsuits filed by two people who said former police officer Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into their necks in 2017—three years before he used the same move that killed George Floyd. John Pope Jr. will receive...
This Is the Best City in
America if You're Single
Nov 28, 2022 1:09 PM CST
This Is the Best City in America if You're Single
Seattle tops WalletHub's ranking, and there are plenty of other options across the US
- Looking for love these days can be tough. Along with people still exercising caution over COVID and prices spiking due to inflation, the dating scene can prove challenging all around. To help take that unintended sting out of Cupid's arrow, WalletHub put 182 cities across the US under the...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
US Cities to Be Car-Less
Nov 15, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Be Car-Less
You don't need wheels to get around San Francisco, per LawnStarter
- In some places, not having a car could adversely affect everything from employment opportunities to how you spend your downtime. LawnStarter wanted to see where a vehicle isn't as necessary for your daily routine, so it looked at the 200 largest cities in the US to measure their standings...
Jul 21, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Outcry Leads to Cancellation Hours Before Chappelle Show
Comedian moves to another Minneapolis theater
- Dave Chappelle lost his stage in Minneapolis on Wednesday night, hours before showtime, when the venue decided to act on complaints from staff members and the public about the booking. "We hear you and we are sorry," First Avenue posted on social media, adding, "We are not...
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing
Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Jun 6, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Judge: Ex-Cops in Floyd Killing Can't Get Fair Trial Right Now
Judge Peter Cahill delays trial of Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng until January
- The judge overseeing the remaining case of two former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd's killing ordered Monday that the trial be delayed until January to improve prospects for a fair trial. Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng had been due to go on trial next Monday on...
Jun 1, 2022 7:15 AM CDT
Lawsuits: We Endured Derek Chauvin's 'Signature Move'
Minneapolis city attorney hopes for a 'reasonable settlement'
- Two Minnesotans filed federal civil rights lawsuits Tuesday against the city of Minneapolis and Derek Chauvin, alleging they were traumatized when the former police officer used his "signature move" of kneeling on their necks—the same way that he killed George Floyd, per the AP . John Pope Jr. was...
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop
in George Floyd Case
May 18, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Thomas Lane will serve 3 years concurrently with his federal sentence
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer Thomas Lane will avoid trial next month thanks to a guilty plea issued Wednesday in connection with George Floyd's May 25, 2020, death. The
reports Lane pleaded guilty to a state charge of aiding and abetting manslaughter and will be handed a three-year sentence....
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
Evidence' in Amir Locke's Death
Apr 6, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
'Insufficient Admissible Evidence' in Amir Locke's Death
Officer who shot and killed 22-year-old won't be charged
- A Minneapolis SWAT team entered an apartment on a no-knock warrant about 6:48am on Feb. 2, and in less than 10 seconds, 22-year-old Amir Locke had been fatally shot . Prosecutors on Wednesday announced Mark Hanneman, the 34-year-old police officer who killed Locke, will not be charged. "After a...
Other 3 Officers Convicted
of Violating Floyd's Civil Rights
Feb 24, 2022 5:02 PM CST
Other 3 Officers Convicted of Violating Floyd's Civil Rights
Defense argued they'd deferred to Chauvin as the senior officer
- Three former Minneapolis police officers were convicted Thursday of violating George Floyd's civil rights. Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng, and Thomas Lane were charged with depriving Floyd of his right to medical care when officer Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for 9½ minutes as the...
Over Police Killing
of Amir Locke
Feb 9, 2022 2:47 AM CST
Protests Continue in Minneapolis Over Police Killing of Amir Locke
His cousin was arrested in the case SWAT team was investigating at the time
- A Minneapolis SWAT team entered an apartment on a no-knock warrant about 6:48am on Feb. 2, and in less than 10 seconds, a 22-year-old Black man had been fatally shot. Outrage and protests have followed the death of Amir Locke at the hands of the authorities, who were investigating...
Chauvin to Judge:
'Guilty, Your Honor'
Dec 15, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Chauvin to Judge: 'Guilty, Your Honor'
Former Minnesota cop pleads guilty to violating George Floyd's civil rights
Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges of violating George Floyd’s civil rights, averting a trial but likely extending the time he's already spending behind bars on a state conviction. Chauvin appeared in person Wednesday for the change of plea hearing in an orange short-sleeved prison...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Plan to Replace
Nov 3, 2021 12:33 AM CDT
Minneapolis Voters Reject Plan to Replace the Police
56% of voters opposed measure
- Minneapolis voters on Tuesday rejected a proposal to replace the city’s police department with a new Department of Public Safety, an idea that supporters had hoped would bring radical change to policing in the city where George Floyd’s death under an officer’s knee brought calls for racial...
After George Floyd, a Big
Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Nov 2, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
After George Floyd, a Big Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Residents to decide whether to replace police department with new public-safety agency
- Voters in Minneapolis were deciding Tuesday whether to replace the city's police department with a new Department of Public Safety, more than a year after George Floyd's death under the knee of a white police officer launched a movement to defund or abolish police across the country. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.