Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mistake on Biden
Dec 1, 2022 11:54 AM CST
Gingrich: Republicans Making Big Mistake on Biden
He warns that the GOP keeps underestimating the president, and losing as a result
- Newt Gingrich has drawn one clear lesson for Republicans from the midterms: They "must learn to quit underestimating President Joe Biden." The former House speaker notes in an op-ed at Gingrich 360 that Republicans have a lot of fun depicting the 80-year-old as a doddering old man. "...
'NeverKevins' Deal Another
Blow to McCarthy's Speaker Bid
Nov 23, 2022 9:35 AM CST
'NeverKevins' Deal Another Blow to McCarthy's Speaker Bid
Ralph Norman is 5th Republican to doubt him
- A fifth Republican has expressed opposition to California Rep. Kevin McCarthy as speaker, promising there are "many more who will take our position." GOP Rep. Ralph Norman of South Carolina, who's with the House Freedom Caucus, told Politico on Tuesday that he would be a "hard"...
Kari Lake Says She's
Fighting Election Results
Nov 17, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Kari Lake Says She's Fighting Election Results
Trump ally claims Arizona voters were disenfranchised via issues with tabulation machines
- Kari Lake, the Arizona gubernatorial candidate who refused to commit to accepting a losing election result, is now challenging her loss to Democrat Katie Hobbs . "I am still in this fight," the Trump-backed Republican says in a video posted to Twitter on Thursday, adding she's assembled the...
Michael Moore Talks About
His Accurate Midterms Call
Nov 14, 2022 2:21 PM CST
Michael Moore Talks About His Accurate Midterms Call
Filmmaker predicted correctly that no red wave would materialize
- As of Monday afternoon, the fate of next year's House remained up in the air. However, the
New York Times
reports that Democrats' hopes of keeping majority control appear to have dimmed over the weekend. In particular, they missed targets in Arizona and California districts, writes Nate Cohn. "...
There Was No Red Wave,
'That's for Darn Sure'
Nov 9, 2022 7:03 AM CST
There Was No Red Wave, 'That's for Darn Sure'
GOP could still take House and Senate, but Democrats will be breathing easier Wednesday morning
- Was it a red wave? A bluenami? The consensus, it seems, is neither. As Lindsey Graham announced just before 11pm ET Tuesday on NBC News, it's "definitely not a Republican wave, that's for darn sure." Some reaction to early midterm results:
Trump Has a New
Nickname for Ron DeSantis
Nov 8, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Trump Has a New Nickname for Ron DeSantis
'Ron DeSanctimonious' was Trump's swipe, after GOP senator's video appealing to core Trump base
- A new video from Ron DeSantis' campaign hints at national ambitions for the Florida governor—to the ire of Donald Trump, who's expected to announce his presidential campaign this month. Shared Friday on Twitter by DeSantis' wife, Casey DeSantis, "the 96-second video invokes God 10 times and suggests...
The Cardboard Box
Just Got Political
Oct 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
The Cardboard Box Just Got Political
ProPublica reports on how owners of giant Uline have become No. 1 GOP donors
- If asked to name the No. 1 federal campaign donors to Republicans ahead of the midterms, it's possible that even veteran political observers would get it wrong: The correct answer is Dick and Liz Uihlein of Illinois, reports ProPublica . The Uihleins run the giant private company Uline, which supplies...
Oct 21, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Dems Had the Momentum. It's Seemingly Vanished
David Brooks takes a pre-midterms look at why
- Over the summer, Democrats seemed poised to ride a wave of momentum into the midterms, thanks to falling gas prices, a public outcry on gun safety after the mass shooting in Uvalde, and the overturning of Roe v. Wade. But "the momentum didn't survive the fall," writes...
GOP Defense of
Oct 7, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Reaction to GOP Defense of Herschel Walker: 'Um, What?'
Newt Gingrich's comments turned into punchlines
- That Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker reportedly encouraged and paid for an ex's abortion doesn't seem to matter to a party that's working to outlaw the procedure. Republicans have come out in defense of the first-time candidate also plagued by allegations of domestic violence and physical abuse,...
Here We Go
the 'Furries in
Oct 5, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Here We Go Again With the 'Furries in Schools' Rumors
Heidi Ganahl, GOP candidate for governor in Colo., is spreading the largely debunked claim
- Heidi Ganahl really doesn't like furries, explained by KRDO as a "subculture that often involves people dressing up as anthropomorphic animal characters and attending conventions." So much so that the GOP candidate for governor in Colorado says she moved her kids out of one district and into...
It's Been a
Wild 24 Hours
Oct 4, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
First a media accusation on a purported abortion, then a string of accusations from his son
- Since announcing his run for Senate in Georgia, Republican candidate Herschel Walker has been dogged by claims that he threatened an ex-wife , lied about his credentials, and criticized absentee fathers while being one himself . Now, in a new allegation of hypocrisy, the former football star who backs a total ban...
Report Card Is Out.
One Party Got Mostly F's
Sep 23, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
NRA's Congressional Report Card Is Out. One Party Got Mostly F's
For first time in 25 years, not a single Dem candidate received an A from gun rights group
- It's not terribly surprising that Democrats running for Congress this year received a dismal report card from the National Rifle Association, as they tend to be much more critical of the gun rights advocacy organization than their Republican counterparts. What makes this year's candidate ratings from the NRA'...
Sep 23, 2022 11:46 AM CDT
GOP Unveils Its Midterm Agenda
McCarthy rolls out Republicans' 'Commitment to America,' focusing on economy, border security
- House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy on Friday directly confronted President Biden and the party in power, choosing battleground Pennsylvania to unveil a midterm election agenda with sweeping Trump-like promises, despite the House GOP's sometimes spotty record of delivering and governing in Congress. McCarthy, who's poised to seize the...
Sep 12, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
GOP Senators Slam Trump's 'Inappropriate' Pardons Remark
Graham, Romney, others blast Jan. 6 comment; Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley thread the needle
- Earlier this month, former President Trump told a conservative radio host that, if he were elected to the Oval Office again, he'd offer "full pardons," along with a public apology to many of those who'd stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Turns out a few GOP...
Trump Are Lying, Cruz Says
Sep 11, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Republicans Dismissing Trump Are Lying, Cruz Says
'The whole world will change' when former president announces whether he'll run, senator argues
- Sen. Ted Cruz is thinking about running for president in 2024 and already seems weary of tough talk from his potential rivals. "There are a lot of candidates out there feeling their oats and boasting, 'I'm running no matter what. I don't care what Donald Trump...
Biden: I Don't View Trump
Supporters as Threat to US
Sep 2, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Biden: I Don't View Trump Supporters as Threat to US
President seeks to draw a distinction with them and 'MAGA Republicans' day after big speech
- President Biden on Friday sought to clarify the withering criticism he leveled against "MAGA Republicans" and former President Trump in a prime-time speech Thursday. Over and over in his speech, Biden referred to them as "extremists," which prompted Steve Doocy of Fox News to ask him Friday...
Yes, a GOP
Aug 30, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Gingrich: Yes, a GOP Wave Is Coming
Ex-House speaker says left-leaning media is either misunderstanding the facts or distorting them
- There's a growing sentiment in the media that the GOP will struggle in the upcoming November midterms, writes former Republican House speaker Newt Gingrich. But in his op-ed at Fox News , Gingrich asserts that the "legacy, left-wing media is at best misunderstanding—and at worst deliberately distorting—the...
in Senate Races
Aug 19, 2022 1:01 PM CDT
McConnell Worried About 'Candidate Quality' in Senate Races
Minority leader thinks the race for control of the chamber is too close to call
- Historically speaking, the party of the sitting US president loses ground in the midterms , ceding seats in the House or Senate, or both if it's a particularly brutal bloodbath. But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is holding off on proclaiming any kind of premature victory in his own chamber...
Aug 17, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Liz Cheney Speaks on 2024 Buzz
Wyoming Republican is 'thinking about' running for president following primary loss
- In admitting defeat in her Wyoming primary on Tuesday night, Rep. Liz Cheney appeared to be setting her sights beyond. "The great and original champion of our party, Abraham Lincoln, was defeated in elections for the Senate and the House before he won the most important election of all,...
3 Big Names
on Ballot, Plus
One That Isn't
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Primary Day: 3 Big Names on Ballot, Plus One That Isn't
Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, and Lisa Murkowski fight to move on, all with fates tied to Donald Trump
- Pretty much all the focus in Tuesday's primary schedule is on three high-profile names—Liz Cheney, Lisa Murkowski, and Sarah Palin—all of whom have a strong connection to former President Trump. Here's the latest on the contests out of Wyoming and Alaska:
The sentiment about the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.