Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feds: Smuggler Stashed
Pythons in His Pants
Oct 6, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Feds: Smuggler Stashed Pythons in His Pants
He was caught after crossing Canadian border
- A New York City man has been hit with a federal smuggling charge, more than four years after authorities said he was caught with pythons in his pants. Authorities say Calvin Bautista, 36, tried to smuggle three Burmese pythons into the US on a bus from Canada but was caught...
980-Foot Vodka Pipeline
Led to Man's Home
Jul 21, 2022 4:58 PM CDT
980-Foot Vodka Pipeline Led to Man's Home
Officials in Ukraine say it was used to smuggle cheap alcohol across border
- The war in Ukraine apparently hasn't put bootleggers out of business. Authorities say border officials patrolling near Podislk in southwest Ukraine found a 980-foot vodka pipeline that was being used to smuggle booze from the breakaway Moldovan region of Transdinistria, Vice reports. The "polyethlene pipe stretched from the...
Airport Officials Find Huge
Cache of Animals in Luggage
Jun 29, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Airport Officials Find Huge Cache of Animals in Luggage
Seizure is just one example of a widespread problem
- Officials in Thailand say they arrested two women who were attempting to smuggle more than 100 live animals in their luggage. Per the
the animals were detected during an X-ray scan at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, where the women were attempting to board a flight to India. The cache...
Authorities Charge Siblings in
Reptile Smuggling Scheme
Mar 25, 2022 10:43 AM CDT
Authorities Charge Siblings in Reptile Smuggling Scheme
30-year-old Calif. man caught at Mexican border allegedly smuggled 1.7K creatures since 2016
- A California man who allegedly tried to cross into the US from Mexico last month with dozens of reptiles crammed under his clothing has been charged, and authorities say he was involved in a yearslong scheme. Per NBC San Diego , 30-year-old Jose Manuel Perez, aka Julio Rodriguez, is accused of...
All These Snakes Were
Under and in a Man's Clothes
Mar 9, 2022 2:20 PM CST
All These Snakes Were Under and in a Man's Clothes
30-year-old US citizen was arrested at the California-Mexico border
- A man who tried to slither past US border agents in California had 52 lizards and snakes hidden in his clothing, authorities said Tuesday. The man was driving a truck when he arrived at the San Ysidro border crossing with Mexico on Feb. 25 and was pulled out for additional...
Guy Tries to Smuggle
2 Men Into US in Coffin
Jan 26, 2022 2:15 AM CST
Guy Tries to Smuggle 2 Men Into US in Coffin
Suspicious Border Patrol agents found men, alive, inside
- Zachary Taylor Blood, 33, arrived at a Border Patrol checkpoint near the US-Mexico border with an American flag-draped coffin in the back of his van Oct. 26. When asked what he had, he replied, "Dead guy, Navy guy." The agent, who is a military veteran, got suspicious, however,...
Cops: Man Tried
to Illegally Sell
of Art' for $120K
Mar 20, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Tried to Illegally Sell 'Exceptional Work of Art' for $120K
Greek police believe 5th-century BC statue was taken from temple on or near Acropolis
- A man has been arrested on suspicion of antiquities smuggling for trying to sell an ancient marble statue of "exceptional artwork" that once likely adorned a temple on Athens' famed Acropolis or the slopes around it, Greek authorities said Friday. Police said the fifth-century BC statue was recovered following...
US Turns Over
of Nissan Boss
Mar 1, 2021 4:45 PM CST
US Turns Over 2 Americans in Smuggling of Nissan Boss
Father and son tried to avoid extradition in Carlos Ghosn case
- An American father and son wanted by Japan for helping former Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn escape from the country in a box were handed over to Japanese custody Monday, ending their monthslong battle to stay in the US. Michael Taylor and his son, Peter Taylor, failed to persuade US officials...
Aug 8, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
'Sophisticated' Border Tunnel Stuns Officials
It has ventilation, water, electrical, you name it
- An incomplete tunnel found stretching from Mexico to Arizona appears to be "the most sophisticated tunnel in US history," authorities said. The tunnel intended for smuggling ran from a neighborhood in San Luis Río Colorado, Mexico, to San Luis, Arizona, where it stopped short of reaching the...
Shark Fins Worth Up to
$1M Seized in Florida
Feb 5, 2020 2:32 PM CST
Shark Fins Worth Up to $1M Seized in Florida
That's about 1.4K pounds, found hidden in about 18 boxes
- Stowed away in 18 boxes in a ship that arrived at the Miami Port of Entry Jan. 24: About 1,400 pounds of shark fins, worth as much as $1 million. Officials say the dried fins were hidden among other "non-protected" and "non-regulated" species, the
Authorities Stunned by
Border Smuggling Tunnel
Jan 30, 2020 6:50 AM CST
Authorities Stunned by Border Smuggling Tunnel
It is the longest ever found
- US authorities on Wednesday announced the discovery of the longest smuggling tunnel ever found on the Southwest border, stretching more than three-quarters of a mile from an industrial site in Tijuana, Mexico, to the San Diego area. The tunnel featured an extensive rail cart system, forced air ventilation, high voltage...
Flight Attendant Tells Customs
He Has $100. It Was $9K
Oct 23, 2019 10:46 AM CDT
Flight Attendant Tells Customs He Has $100. It Was $9K
4 American Airlines flight attendants accused of smuggling $22K in cash into Miami
- Four American Airlines flight attendants have been arrested on money laundering charges after police say they flew into Miami with more than $22,000 in cash. Carlos Alberto Munoz-Moyano was the first to be checked by customs at Miami International Airport after departing the flight from Santiago, Chile, on Monday....
The Cocaine Saved Them.
Then It Got Them Busted
Oct 3, 2019 11:24 AM CDT
The Cocaine Saved Them. Then It Got Them Busted
Suspected drug smugglers found clinging to bales in Pacific after boat overturns
- They can thank their drug bundles for both saving their lives and possibly ruining them. ABC Australia reports that three men from Colombia were plucked out of the Pacific over the weekend after spending hours in shark-filled waters. The alleged drug-runners, who were said by authorities to have departed from...
CBP: Girl From India Dies
in Desert on Way to US
Jun 14, 2019 6:18 AM CDT
CBP: Girl From India Dies in Desert on Way to US
Death took place in 'dangerous and austere location' in Arizona
- The body of a 7-year-old girl believed to be from India was found this week in a remote part of the Arizona desert just over the border with Mexico, a death that a Border Patrol official is calling "senseless," reports the Daily Beast . Per a Customs and Border...
Punishment for Man Who Had
5K Leeches in Carry-On Bag
May 29, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Punishment for Man Who Had 5K Leeches in Carry-On Bag
Ippolit Bodounov was first large-scale leech-smuggler ever busted by Canadian authorities
- A Canadian man has been fined the equivalent of $11,102 for wildlife smuggling, which works out to around $2.30 for each of the 4,788 leeches he brought in his carry-on luggage on a flight from Russia to Toronto last year. Ippolit Bodounov, the first large-scale leech-smuggler ever...
Hundreds of Live Tarantulas
Seized From 'Cookie' Boxes
Apr 3, 2019 3:42 AM CDT
Hundreds of Live Tarantulas Seized From 'Cookie' Boxes
They were shipped to airport in the Philippines
- Philippine customs officials were astonished when they opened nicely gift-wrapped boxes of cookies and oatmeal flown in all the way from Poland and found a hair-raising contraband: hundreds of live tarantulas. Bureau of Customs personnel seized the 757 tarantulas at a mail exchange center near Manila's international airport Monday...
No, This Is Not Legit
Mar 24, 2019 10:07 AM CDT
No, This Is Not Legit Carry-On Luggage
Russian busted trying to smuggle a drugged orangutan out of Bali in his luggage
- In theory, Russian tourist Andrei Zhestkov's plan to smuggle an orangutan out of Bali was ... not great. In execution, it ended exactly as you might expect: With airport scanners somehow failing to miss the 2-year-old sleeping primate in his luggage, and Zhestkov facing smuggling charges that could net him...
Guy Abandons 1.5K
Live Turtles at Airport
Mar 4, 2019 7:17 AM CST
Guy Abandons 1.5K Live Turtles at Airport
They were found in unclaimed suitcases
- Customs officers at a Philippines airport got a surprise when they opened four abandoned suitcases: Inside were 1,529 live turtles and tortoises of assorted species, wrapped in duct tape, the BBC reports. They included rare and endangered species like star tortoises and sulcata tortoises. Officials estimate they could have...
Suspect in $4.3M Bank Theft
Had Elaborate Getaway: DOJ
Sep 27, 2018 4:03 AM CDT
Suspect in $4.3M Bank Theft Had Elaborate Getaway: DOJ
Extradited Alaska man drove, flew, cabbed it, and took a bus all the way to Mexico
- Seven years after a bank in Alaska had more than $4 million lifted, the man suspected of stealing the money has been extradited back there—all the way from Mexico. A DOJ release reports that 33-year-old Gerardo "Gary" Adan Cazarez Valenzuela, who used to be the cash vault services...
7 Countries Join US
on North Korea Mission
Sep 15, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
7 Countries Join US on North Korea Mission
The plan: Stop anyone violating UN sanctions
- Smugglers, watch out: Washington is forming an international coalition to better spot ships sneaking fuel into North Korea against UN sanctions, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. More than 50 people from the allied nations—including Japan, South Korea, Britain, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and a member from France—will be...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.