Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 25, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
One Notable Thing About Murdoch's 'Retirement'
He never actually uses the word, points out media writer Jack Shafer, and it matters
- In assessing the surprise news that Rupert Murdoch is giving up the reins at his media empire, Jack Shafer of Politico can't help but notice that Murdoch never actually uses the word "retirement" in his statement . In fact, the 92-year-old makes clear that he will continue to have...
One of the Most 'Influential
and Controversial Tycoons'
Sep 21, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
One of the Most 'Influential and Controversial Tycoons'
Rupert Murdoch at 92 will let son Lachlan lead Fox News and News Corp.
- The man described by the
Wall Street Journal
as "one of the world's most influential and controversial tycoons" is stepping back from his media career in a big way. At the age of 92, Rupert Murdoch is turning over leadership of Fox News and News Corp. to son...
Rupert Murdoch Retiring
as Chair of Fox, News Corp.
Sep 21, 2023 8:28 AM CDT
Rupert Murdoch Retiring as Chair of Fox, News Corp.
Son Lachlan will take over as chairman of both
- Media titan Rupert Murdoch is stepping down from his leadership roles at Fox News and News Corp, the
New York Times
reports. The 92-year-old will put son Lachlan in charge of his news empire and assume the title of "chairman emeritus," he wrote in a letter to colleagues,...
I Know Why I Was Fired
Jul 26, 2023 2:22 PM CDT
Tucker Carlson: I Know Why I Was Fired
He says it was a condition of defamation settlement, despite Fox's denial
- Tucker Carlson says he "knows" his firing from Fox News was "a condition" of the $787.5 million settlement Fox agreed to pay to Dominion Voting Systems to resolve a defamation case. Fox and Dominion have denied the claim. Still, the former prime-time host says Fox "agreed...
Jul 13, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
For DeSantis, Trouble With the Murdoch Clan
One report suggests Rupert Murdoch wants Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin to enter the race
- A number of stories are out assessing the 2024 race in regard to Ron DeSantis, and the headlines won't give his supporters much to cheer about. A look at coverage:
New York Times
reports that Rupert Murdoch appears to have lost his faith that the Florida governor
Report: Carlson Exit Was
a Big Shock to Fox Staffers
Apr 24, 2023 1:33 PM CDT
Report: Carlson Exit Was a Big Shock to Fox Staffers
Host may have been doomed by comments about management
- Tucker Carlson is out at Fox News after 14 years—and while the network says the move was "mutually agreed" upon, it appears to have happened abruptly. Hours before the announcement, Fox was still previewing Carlson's Monday night show, in which he was set to interview GOP candidate...
Despite Settlement, Nightmare
May Not Be Over for Fox
Apr 20, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Despite Settlement, Nightmare May Not Be Over for Fox
'Time' suggests Fox Corporation's board could face 'serious claims of negligence'
- Rupert Murdoch was saved from taking the stand when Fox News agreed to "the largest publicly disclosed payout to settle a media libel case in the US" on Tuesday, per the
. Dominion Voting Systems, which accused Fox of knowingly spouting false claims that its systems were used to...
Trump Tells Murdoch
to Stick to Fraud Story
Apr 17, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Trump Tells Murdoch to Stick to Fraud Story
Fox Corp. chairman also urged to 'just tell the truth' if he testifies in lawsuit
- If the Dominion Voting Machines-Fox News defamation case reaches a jury trial, media mogul Rupert Murdoch might have to take the stand. On Monday, former President Donald Trump— fresh off being deposed himself in a civil lawsuit—offered unsolicited advice on how to testify, the Hill reports, telling Murdoch to...
Ahead of Major Trial,
Fox May Be Trying to Settle
Apr 17, 2023 6:25 AM CDT
Ahead of Major Trial, Fox May Be Trying to Settle
Judge delays start of defamation suit brought by Dominion Voting until Tuesday
- The judge overseeing the defamation lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News abruptly delayed the start of the trial on Sunday night. It will now begin Tuesday, the
reports. No reason was given, but sources told the
Wall Street Journal
the network is pushing to settle the...
Jerry Hall Spoon-Fed
Murdoch for Months,
Got Dumped by Email
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
Jerry Hall Spoon-Fed Murdoch for Months, Got Dumped by Email
Gabriel Sherman ends up 'struck by how sad all the Murdochs seem'
- The last year has been a bumpy one for Rupert Murdoch, what with the $1.6 billion Dominion lawsuit against Fox News, the divorce from supermodel Jerry Hall , and the failed two-week engagement to Ann Lesley Smith. Things could keep spiraling, Gabriel Sherman writes in a
Report: Murdoch Has
Called Off 5th Wedding
Apr 4, 2023 5:47 PM CDT
Report: Murdoch Has Called Off 5th Wedding
Engagement to Ann Lesley Smith ended abruptly, sources say
- Rupert Murdoch may not be heading down the aisle for a fifth time at age 92 after all. Sources tell
that the media mogul and 66-year-old Ann Lesley Smith have abruptly called off their engagement just weeks after it was announced. Murdoch, who split up with fourth wife...
Tucker Carlson on Trump:
'There Isn't Really an Upside'
Mar 8, 2023 7:43 AM CST
Tucker Carlson on Trump: 'There Isn't Really an Upside'
Latest round of private texts, messages revealed in court filings around Dominion suit against Fox
- We've already seen some court filings released in Dominion Voting Systems' $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News, and now a new round has dropped—this time revealing intense feelings from Tucker Carlson against former President Trump. The Daily Beast reports that hundreds of pages of new internal...
'Election Was Not Stolen,'
Murdoch Said Under Oath
Mar 7, 2023 6:46 PM CST
'Election Was Not Stolen,' Murdoch Said Under Oath
In defamation lawsuit, Fox chair testified that 2020 election was 'free and fair'
- Fox Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch said under oath that he believes the 2020 presidential election was free, fair, and not stolen, according to court filings released Tuesday in a voting machine company’s defamation lawsuit over Fox News’ coverage of former President Donald Trump’s unfounded election fraud claims. In...
Report: Fox Has
Mar 3, 2023 8:23 AM CST
Report: Fox Has 'Soft Ban' on Trump Appearances
Per Semafor, network owner Rupert Murdoch wanted to make Trump a 'nonperson' after Jan. 6
- Former President Trump has been ranting this week, among myriad things, about Fox News and owner Rupert Murdoch , accusing the network of "going in the wrong direction" and proclaiming that "viewers, and MAGA, are not happy!" What may be partially driving the former president's ire: the...
Trump Responds to
Rupert Murdoch's Testimony
Mar 1, 2023 4:26 AM CST
Trump Responds to Rupert Murdoch's Testimony
Not surprisingly, he isn't pleased about it
- Rupert Murdoch testified last month that some Fox News hosts endorsed former President Trump's false claims of fraud in the 2020 presidential election, and after the testimony was released Monday , you can bet Trump had something to say about it. In Truth Social posts cited by the BBC and...
Murdoch Acknowledges Hosts
Endorsed False Election Claim
Feb 27, 2023 7:35 PM CST
Murdoch Acknowledges Hosts Endorsed False Election Claim
Fox chairman, who says he had his doubts, argues they were acting as commentators
- Rupert Murdoch, the chairman of Fox News, has conceded that certain hosts on his networks promoted President Trump's false claim that the 2020 presidential election was fraudulent. "Some of our commentators were endorsing it," Murdoch said, CNBC reports. He provided the sworn testimony last month in a...
Dec 16, 2022 1:27 PM CST
Bannon, Other Trump Allies Vent Over Trading Cards
They say whoever advised the former president to do this should be fired
- Jimmy Kimmel and other late-night hosts took great delight in mocking Donald Trump's "major announcement" to start selling NFT trading cards of himself. And if you're expecting Trump's usual allies to rally to his defense, think again. Many of them also think the NFT stunt was...
Is Getting Deposed
Dec 6, 2022 2:40 AM CST
Rupert Murdoch Is Getting Deposed by Dominion
Dominion Voting Systems is suing Fox News, Fox Corp
- Rupert Murdoch will be the highest-profile person to be deposed by Dominion Voting Systems in its defamation lawsuit against Fox News. Murdoch, who owns Fox parent company Fox Corp, will have to answer questions under oath on Dec. 13 and 14, the
reports. Dominion says the conservative network...
Jul 24, 2022 6:10 AM CDT
2 Murdoch Newspapers Go After Trump
'New York Post' and 'Wall Street Journal' publish scathing editorials
- Is Rupert Murdoch parting ways with Donald Trump? The conservative editorial pages of two of his US newspapers have published blistering editorials against the former president in the wake of the most recent Jan. 6 hearing , notes CNN .
Wall Street Journal:
In an editorial headlined, "The President Who Stood
Jerry Hall, Rupert Murdoch
Jul 3, 2022 6:01 AM CDT
Jerry Hall, Rupert Murdoch Are Divorcing
91-year-old media mogul married 66-year-old Hall six years ago
Last month's rumors were true: The high-profile marriage of Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall is ending. Hall, 66, has filed for divorce from Murdoch, 91, citing "irreconcilable differences," reports the BBC . Hall, who was famously married to Mick Jagger previously, is seeking unspecified financial support. She...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.