Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is No More
Nov 27, 2023 7:29 AM CST
New Zealand's Ambitious Smoking Ban Is No More
Nation's new government has nixed progressively rising smoking age, other anti-smoking measures
- New Zealand's ambitious plan to eventually turn the nation smoke-free has itself gone up in smoke. The legislation passed in late 2022 mandated a progressively increasing smoking age that would effectively mean that anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 2009, would never be able to legally light up....
New Zealand Was
Having a Nice Bird
Came John Oliver
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 19, 2023 3:45 PM CST
New Zealand Was Having a Nice Bird Contest. Then Came John Oliver
'Last Week Tonight' host wins with his viral campaign to get puking bird voted 'Bird of the Century'
- Comedian John Oliver has succeeded in his campaign to have what he describes as a weird, puking bird with a colorful mullet win New Zealand's Bird of the Century contest. As the AP reports, he even managed to elbow out the iconic national bird, the kiwi. Conservation group Forest...
NZ Curling Team Moves Into
a Canadian Retirement Home
Nov 3, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
NZ Curling Team Moves Into a Canadian Retirement Home
New Zealand squad needed inexpensive lodging while training in Canada
- The average age of residents in the Chartwell Colonel Belcher Retirement Residence in Calgary is 84, notes the
New York Times
. But if the home's four new temporary residents were factored in, the number would skew much lower. In an unusual lodging arrangement—and one that seems to thrill...
Company Found Guilty
in Volcano Disaster
That Killed 22
Nov 1, 2023 1:28 AM CDT
Company Found Guilty in Volcano Disaster That Killed 22
New Zealand company belongs to brothers who own the island on which the volcano sits
- In the largest action of its kind brought by New Zealand's workplace safety regulator, a company that licenses tours to White Island was on Tuesday found guilty of violating safety laws in the 2019 volcano disaster that left 22 people, mostly tourists, dead and another 25 injured. Whakaari Management...
Plead for End
to 'Siren Battles'
in case you missed it
Oct 29, 2023 7:13 AM CDT
NZ Residents Plead for End to 'Siren Battles' With Celine
Residents petition town to stop youths from cranking the music from special speakers at night
- They mean no offense to Celine Dion, but residents of the town of Porirua, New Zealand, have launched a petition to stop hearing her songs blasted through the night, reports the BBC . The petition takes aim at what are known as "siren battles," in which groups typically consisting...
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations
Sound Warning on China
Oct 18, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
Spy Chiefs in 5 Nations Sound Warning on China
Five Eyes intelligence chiefs say Chinese spies are operating at an 'epic scale'
- Spy movies have taught us to suspect figures lurking around military bases and federal buildings, yet the focus of Chinese spying in the US looks quite different, according to the heads of spy agencies in the Five Eyes coalition—US, Canada, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand—who gathered for an...
Musk: X Is
'Not a Bot' Fee
Oct 18, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Musk: X Is Implementing 'Not a Bot' Fee
CEO of former Twitter says new users in 2 nations are being charged $1 to tweet, retweet, like posts
- If you've been fearing the day would come when X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, would start to charge regular non-blue-check people for the privilege of posting, that day has come, for some.
reports that the social media site began hitting new users only—and just those...
NZ's New PM:
'We Are Going
to Restore Law
Oct 14, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
NZ's New PM: 'We Are Going to Restore Law and Order'
Ex-businessman Christopher Luxon, leader of conservative National Party, wins general election
- Conservative former businessman Christopher Luxon will be New Zealand's next prime minister after winning a decisive election victory on Saturday. People voted for change after six years of a liberal government, led for most of that time by Jacinda Ardern. The exact makeup of Luxon's government is still...
Sep 25, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Couple Gets Refund Over Stinky Dog on Flight
New Zealand pair say they had to move from premium to economy over the smell
- A New Zealand couple who say they were subjected to a drooling, snorting, and farting dog on a long flight have gotten a $1,400 refund for their trouble, reports Insider . Gill and Warren Press say they asked to switch their premium seats midflight from Paris to Singapore because the...
Climber 'Exceptionally Lucky'
After Fall From Summit
Sep 11, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Climber 'Exceptionally Lucky' After Fall From Summit
Warmer temps turned ice to snow, which cushioned 2K-foot fall on New Zealand's Mount Taranaki
- A climber who reached the summit of a mountain in New Zealand descended a
faster than anticipated but lived to tell the tale. The unidentified climber apparently lost his footing at the top of the challenging Mount Taranaki, slid down an astonishing 600 meters (about 2,000 feet), and...
She Griped of Pain for Over a
Year. Then, a Surprising Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
She Griped of Pain for Over a Year. Then, a Surprising Find
Dinner plate-sized surgical device was left in New Zealand woman's belly after C-section in 2020
- A New Zealand woman who gave birth by cesarean section in 2020 lived for 18 months with a surgical device "about the size of a dinner plate" concealed in her abdomen, according to a report released Monday. The unnamed woman in her 20s complained of chronic pain in the...
New Zealand Mom Guilty of
Murdering 3 Young Daughters
Aug 16, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
New Zealand Mom Guilty of Murdering 3 Young Daughters
Lauren Dickason said her postpartum-induced mental illness led her to kill her kids
- A New Zealand jury on Wednesday found a mother guilty of murdering her three young daughters after rejecting her defense that she was so mentally ill at the time she couldn't be held responsible. Lauren Dickason, 42, had earlier admitted killing her 2-year-old twin daughters, Maya and Karla, and...
AI-Powered Recipe Bot
Offers Deadly Suggestions
Aug 10, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
AI-Powered Recipe Bot Offers Deadly Suggestions
Ant-poison jelly sandwiches, anyone?
- A supermarket chain in New Zealand had to make some changes to its artificial intelligence-powered recipe app after it delivered some potentially deadly recommendations. The Savey Meal-bot from Pak'nSave came up with meal plans or recipes when customers entered lists of ingredients, but users soon discovered that the bot...
World Cup to Go On
After Gunman's Attack
in New Zealand
Jul 19, 2023 7:24 PM CDT
World Cup to Go On After Gunman's Attack in New Zealand
Police say 2 people were killed, 6 injured near teams' hotel
This file has been updated with details about increased security and the US team.
A gunman killed two people at a construction site in New Zealand's largest city on Thursday, as the nation prepared to host games in the FIFA Women's World Cup soccer tournament, authorities said. Six...
Is Waging War
With This Guy
Jul 1, 2023 4:33 PM CDT
New Zealand Is Waging War With This Guy
Island nation aims to eradicate rats by 2050 to save its native birds, and the BBC assesses its progress
- Seven years ago, New Zealand passed a law declaring that it aimed to eradicate rats by the year 2050, with the idea of saving its native birds. With 27 years to go until the deadline, the BBC checks in on how things are going, and it sounds a little exhausting,...
New Zealand PM's
Plane Is Very Rickety
Jun 27, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
New Zealand PM's Plane Is Very Rickety
'Betty' so prone to breakdowns that NZ sent a backup when Chris Hipkins traveled to China
- The United States has Air Force One, a plane that can refuel in midair and act as a presidential command center. New Zealand has "Betty," an aging Boeing 757 that officials on Monday acknowledged was so prone to breakdowns they'd sent an empty backup to ensure Prime...
Axe-Wielding Man Attacks
New Zealand Restaurants
Jun 20, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Axe-Wielding Man Attacks New Zealand Restaurants
4 injured in the incident
- A man with an axe attacked random diners at three neighboring Chinese restaurants in New Zealand, wounding four people, police and witnesses said. Police said the man began the attack at about 9pm Monday in the north Auckland suburb of Albany, the AP reports. Police arrested a 24-year-old suspect at...
Meet Dame Jacinda
Jun 5, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Meet Dame Jacinda
Former New Zealand PM given one of nation's highest honors
- You might remember her as the youngest prime minster New Zealand has ever seen; who picked up the state house phone herself when a journalist called to ask how to pronounce her name; who became only the second world leader to give birth in office ; who won global praise for...
Pay for Pizza From
This Chain After You Die
Jun 1, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Pay for Pizza From This Chain After You Die
Hell Pizza to offer 'AfterLife Pay' deal to 666 customers each in New Zealand, Australia
- A pizza chain is offering to bill customers for their pie only after they die—a deal that really is as good as it sounds. The "AfterLife Pay" offer isn't a way to boost sales, Ben Cumming, CEO of the New Zealand-based Hell Pizza chain, tells the
New Zealand Loses It Over
Miami Zoo's Handling of a Kiwi
May 24, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
New Zealand Loses It Over Miami Zoo's Handling of a Kiwi
'We have offended a nation,' the zoo admitted
- Don't underestimate New Zealanders' love for the kiwi bird—or how fiercely they'll respond to the perceived mistreatment of it. And mistreatment is what they say occurred at Zoo Miami, which houses a kiwi named Paora. Though kiwis are "reclusive and nocturnal," per the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.