Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
She Was Disowned for
Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Mar 20, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
She Was Disowned for Being Gay. Then the
Guys Stepped In
Netflix episode featuring Jess Guilbeaux has proved to be an 'ugly cry' one
- Netflix recently started streaming the third season of
, and one episode in particular is causing people to "ugly cry." NBC News reports on "Black Girl Magic," the fifth episode, which puts 23-year-old Jess Guilbeaux in the spotlight. Guilbeaux, a waitress in Lawrence, Kan., was...
His Story Is Antidote
to College-Admissions Scandal
Mar 15, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
His Story Is Antidote to College-Admissions Scandal
Once-homeless Dylan Chidick is accepted to 17 colleges, so far
- Getting accepted to 17 colleges is an impressive feat for any high school student. It means something more to New Jersey's Dylan Chidick, considering the 17-year-old came to the US as an immigrant from Trinidad at age 7 and spent the next decade in and out of homelessness. Even...
College 'Legacy' Benefit
Is Completely Unfair
Dec 26, 2018 11:30 AM CST
College 'Legacy' Benefit Is Completely Unfair
If your parent went to an elite university, you're much more likely to be accepted there
- Bryan Walsh, a Princeton alum, has been interviewing Princeton applicants who live near him for years now, sending his recommendations to the university. And in a piece for Medium , he lays out "the dirty secret of elite college admissions": At a time when universities are accepting a smaller and...
These Are the 10 Best
College Towns in the US
Dec 26, 2018 8:41 AM CST
These Are the 10 Best College Towns in the US
WalletHub ranked them based on cost of living, social environment, other factors
- Think the quality of the education is the only important factor when choosing a college or university? Think again. Studies have suggested a school's location is just as important when it comes to student success—and there's also, of course, the cost of living to think about. WalletHub...
10 Best Colleges for the Money
Oct 24, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
10 Best Colleges for the Money
MIT tops the list
- If you're going to fork over close to $50,000 a year to go to college—the top-end average for tuition, room, and board at a four-year school—you want the best ROI on your money. WalletHub looked at close to 1,000 of America's higher-education venues, examining...
in Beer Bong
Sep 27, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
Students Support College Chief in Beer Bong Controversy
Southeast Missouri State President Carlos Vargas went viral for chugging while tailgating
- Having the president of your college actively involved in student life is desirable. Having one who takes pulls on a beer bong with you at a football game—that's up for debate. Dr. Carlos Vargas, head of Southeast Missouri State University, says he now realizes his actions before a...
Student Emails Every Nicole
in School to Get a Date
Sep 10, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Student Emails Every Nicole in School to Get a Date
Carlos Zetina went all in
- A Canada college student who met a woman at a bar but somehow screwed up taking down her phone number still managed to connect using a nuclear option. Carlos Zetina, a first year student at University of Calgary, knew the woman he'd met was also a student. He also...
Here Are the 5 Most, Least
Valuable College Majors
Sep 10, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
Here Are the 5 Most, Least Valuable College Majors
Actuarial science will likely position you well; the fine arts may be more of a crapshoot
- It's desirable to do what you love for a living—but it helps if what you love pays decently. Bankrate did its due diligence for future college students, looking at US Census Bureau data for 162 degrees that ended up producing labor forces of at least 15,000 people,...
$82K Raised for Gay Teen's
Tuition After Parents Spurn Him
Aug 1, 2018 11:37 AM CDT
$82K Raised for Gay Teen's Tuition After Parents Spurn Him
Seth Owen, co-valedictorian of his senior class, got in to Georgetown, couldn't afford to go
- Seth Owen was over the moon when he received what appeared to be the path to his "life goal" of going to college: an acceptance letter from Georgetown University. But the Florida 18-year-old, who was the co-valedictorian of his senior class, had his hopes dashed when he later received...
Racist Text Sparks Outrage
on Georgia Campus
Jul 23, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Racist Text Sparks Outrage on Georgia Campus
White student blames spellcheck
- A white Georgia college student is blaming spellcheck for a racist slur she accidentally sent via text message to her new roommate. "Her insta looks pretty normal not too n-----ish," the student, identified by the
as Courtney Schaefer, texted after the two exchanged pleasantries, in a...
Probably Doing It Wrong
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 3, 2018 10:38 AM CDT
Happiness: You're Probably Doing It Wrong
Yale's most popular course is all about learning to practice it
- It's called "PSYC 157: Psychology and the Good Life," and the course taught by Laurie Santos just happens to be the most popular one ever offered at Yale, writes Adam Sternbergh at the Cut . Its aim is to teach students to be happier. Sternbergh took the course...
Prof's Reax to Barbara Bush
Death Could Threaten Tenure
Apr 19, 2018 8:23 AM CDT
Prof's Reax to Barbara Bush Death Could Threaten Tenure
Fresno State instructor Randa Jarrar called her 'amazing racist,' 'witch'
- While the tributes continue to pour in for Barbara Bush, a Fresno State professor is taking heat for her diatribe against the former first lady. "Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who along with her husband, raised a war criminal," Randa Jarrar wrote to...
He Got Full Rides
to 20 Schools. TV
Apr 10, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
He Got Full Rides to 20 Schools. TV Anchors Called It 'Ridiculous'
Some say DC journos were racially motivated in remarks about Michael Brown
- One might think a high school senior called the "best thing in Texas" by
, and who got accepted to 20 colleges —some of which were Ivy Leagues, and all of which offered him a full ride with grants and scholarships—would receive universal praise in the...
What Freshman 15? A Third
of College Kids Go Hungry
Apr 3, 2018 1:17 PM CDT
What Freshman 15? A Third of College Kids Go Hungry
New survey finds hunger is a growing, mostly hidden problem on college campuses
- The popular myth that college students gain weight during their freshman year is decidedly untrue for a significant portion of the college population. A new survey finds that 36% of college students in the US don't get enough to eat, the
reports. The survey, carried out by...
Student's Sexual Harassment
Suit Invokes Betsy DeVos
Nov 27, 2017 4:40 PM CST
Student's Sexual Harassment Suit Invokes Betsy DeVos
The lawsuit references the education secretary's new campus guidelines
- A male student who was suspended from the University of Vermont this fall after being accused of groping a female student at an off-campus party has sued the school, saying the school's disciplinary system is biased against men, the AP reports. The lawsuit said the case is a perfect...
She Made It to College. He Was
Determined to Help Her Stay
Nov 2, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
She Made It to College. He Was Determined to Help Her Stay
Teacher helps former student raise funds to stay in school
- Kevonna Stevens graduated as valedictorian of her class and became the first of her family to head to college, thanks in part to teacher Jason Boll, who helped her apply. Now Boll is stepping up for Stevens again, in an even bigger way. The 18-year-old told the Pittsburgh teacher in...
What New York Is Doing for
College-Age Maria Victims
Oct 23, 2017 11:27 AM CDT
What New York Is Doing for College-Age Maria Victims
Tuition help being offered to displaced students at 64 state universities
- Mainland US universities are offering a helping hand to students in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands affected by Hurricane Maria. Some schools are granting students discounted tuition at the rate for in-state residents; others are waiving tuition altogether for a semester, NPR reports. Tuition help is being offered...
Based on a
Jun 28, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
Might Be Based on a College Fling
UCLA professor claims she was creator's muse
- Catherine Halsey, a character in the video game
, is a scientist and atheist who considers herself smarter than her parents. The same can be said of Patricia Dickson, a UCLA associate professor of pediatrics—and she claims that's no coincidence. Dickson, who had a romantically tinged friendship with...
Harvard Yanks Acceptance
Letters After Student Posts
Jun 5, 2017 9:44 AM CDT
Harvard Yanks Acceptance Letters After Student Posts
Incoming freshmen can no longer attend after online comments
- At least 10 students lost their spots at Harvard before the first day of class after they exchanged offensive messages in a private Facebook group, the
reports. College officials told the incoming freshmen they were no longer welcome after getting wind of the messages and memes in a...
Bill Gates: I'd Give This Book
to Every College Graduate
May 16, 2017 11:28 AM CDT
Bill Gates: I'd Give This Book to Every College Graduate
He recommends 'The Better Angels of Our Nature' by Steven Pinker
- Bill Gates may be a college dropout himself, but he's still hit up for advice quite a bit from college graduates. In a series of tweets spotted by Business Insider , Gates is offering that advice to all. Among other things, he writes that if he were a college freshman...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.