Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Cops: Man Trying
to Burn Spider
Aug 2, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Cops: Man Trying to Burn Spider Started Wildfire
'What led him to stop and notice a spider and decide to try to burn it, we don’t know'
- A Utah man has been arrested on accusations he started a wildfire while trying to burn a spider with his lighter. Cory Allan Martin, 26, told deputies that he spotted the spider Monday while he was in a hiking area in the foothills south of Salt Lake City near the...
Utah Teen Pleads Guilty to
Killing Mother, 3 Siblings
Jul 19, 2022 8:49 PM CDT
Utah Teen Pleads Guilty to Killing Mother, 3 Siblings
Colin Jeffery Haynie was 16 years old when he tried to kill his entire family
: A Utah man pleaded guilty Tuesday to fatally shooting his mother and three siblings in early 2020, when he was 16 years old. Colin Jeffery Haynie, now 19, killed his mother and one of his sisters as they returned from her school pickup, then waited for two more siblings...
Video Shows Boy, 4, Shooting
at Cops in McDonald's Lot
Jul 19, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Video Shows Boy, 4, Shooting at Cops in McDonald's Lot
The father has been sentenced to 120 days in jail
- The moment when a 4-year-old fired on police officers on the order of his father was caught on bodycam video. Sadaat Johnson, 27, waved a gun at McDonald's workers in Midvale, Utah, because he was upset about his food order, and they told him to pull around to the...
The Business Climate
Is Tops in This State
Jul 15, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
The Business Climate Is Tops in This State
North Carolina comes out on top in CNBC survey of best, worst US states for business
- Looking to close a deal? Conducting business and staying competitive can prove a challenging endeavor, but in some states, the business world is booming. CNBC has released its 15th annual "America's Top States for Business" survey to help point movers and shakers in the right direction. It scores...
Great Salt Lake
Sees a Historic
Jul 6, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Great Salt Lake Sees a Historic Low, Again
Water level drops to 4,190.1 feet, after it matched 170-year-old record just this past October
- The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi. The Utah Department of Natural Resources said Monday in a news release...
Millennials, You May Want
to Head to This State
May 25, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Millennials, You May Want to Head to This State
Washington ranks first in WalletHub's rankings for most appealing places for the 26-41 set
- Whether you call them Generation Y or millennials, the group wedged between Generation X and Generation Z—ie, those born between 1981 and 1996 —has its own particular wants and needs when looking for a place to settle down. WalletHub wanted to figure out the most appealing states for...
Trump Jr. Killed
a Bear, and His
Guide May Go
May 22, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Illegal bait traps were allegedly used, according to 'Salt Lake Tribune'
- Donald Trump Jr. killed a bear during a Utah hunting trip in 2018, and that kill might land his hunting guide behind bars, reports the
Salt Lake Tribune
. Guide Wade Lemon is under investigation for allegedly setting an illegal bait trap—one with “a pile of grain, oil and...
Utah Teen's Sand-Dune
Tunnel Proved Fatal
May 17, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
Utah Teen's Sand-Dune Tunnel Proved Fatal
Ian Spendlove's tunnel collapsed, trapping him for more than 20 minutes
- A 13-year-old boy in Utah died after a tunnel he was digging in the side of a sand dune collapsed, trapping him. Ian Spendlove of Santa Clara had been digging just outside the campground area at Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park in Kanab, near the Arizona border, when a...
PI: Moab Murder Suspect 'Had
Animus Toward These Girls'
May 13, 2022 8:09 AM CDT
PI: Moab Murder Suspect 'Had Animus Toward These Girls'
PI: Adam Pinkusiewicz complained co-worker Crystal Turner was getting special treatment
- The suspect in the slaying of a newlywed couple in Utah "had animus toward these girls," according to a private investigator working on behalf of the families of Kylen Schulte and Crystal Beck Turner. The two women were found shot to death near their campsite in the La...
Police Name Suspect in Deaths
of Women at Utah Campsite
May 12, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Police Name Suspect in Deaths of Women at Utah Campsite
Newlyweds Kylen Schulte, Crystal Turner were shot dead in August
- Authorities say they finally have a suspect in the murders of Kylen Schulte and Crystal Turner , who were found dead on Aug. 18 near their Utah campsite—and there's a thin connection between him and the women. The
Salt Lake Tribune
reports the Grand County Sheriff’s Office named...
Utah Dems Make Rare Move
in Bid to Defeat Mike Lee
Apr 24, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Utah Dems Make Rare Move in Bid to Defeat Mike Lee
They nominate an independent, Evan McMullin, to face the GOP senator
- Utah Democrats pulling hard to defeat Republican Sen. Mike Lee took the unusual step Saturday of spurning a party hopeful to instead get behind an independent—former presidential candidate Evan McMullin . Democrats were swayed by calls from prominent members who said McMullin was the best chance to beat Lee in...
No Republican Senator
Served Longer in Office
Apr 24, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
No Republican Senator Served Longer in Office
Utah's Orrin Hatch is dead at 88
- Orrin G. Hatch, who became the longest-serving Republican senator in history as he represented Utah for more than four decades, died Saturday at age 88. His death was announced in a statement from his foundation, which did not specify a cause, per the AP . He launched the Hatch Foundation as...
Man Guilty in
Deaths of Utah Teens
Found in Mine Shaft
Apr 16, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Man Guilty in Deaths of Utah Teens Found in Mine Shaft
Jarrod Baum, 45, faces up to life in prison without parole
- The case of a teenage couple killed and tossed down an abandoned mine shaft culminated in murder convictions Friday for a Utah man who prosecutors said killed the pair because he found them hanging out with his girlfriend. Jarrod Baum, 45, faces up to life in prison without parole after...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
Here's One Thing You Definitely
Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Apr 1, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
Here's One Thing You Definitely Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Delta passengers were told windshield had shattered before being safely diverted
- A flight from Salt Lake City to DC made an unexpected landing this week, with passengers now expressing gratitude that things didn't turn out much worse. While a statement from Delta Air Lines to ABC4 simply notes that the Thursday flight was safely diverted to Denver after a "...
2 GOP Governors Veto
Transgender Sports Bans
Mar 22, 2022 6:13 PM CDT
2 GOP Governors Veto Transgender Sports Bans
' I always try to err on the side of kindness,' Utah Gov. Spencer Cox says
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox vetoed a ban on transgender students playing girls’ sports on Tuesday, becoming the second Republican governor this week to overrule state lawmakers taking on youth sports amid broader culture wars as LGBTQ visibility grows. Cox joins Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, who vetoed a statewide ban on...
Utah Just Nabbed
Its First Wolverine
Mar 22, 2022 1:37 PM CDT
Utah Just Nabbed Its First Wolverine
Creature never before caught in the state is fitted with a GPS collar
- Wolverines are notoriously reclusive creatures in the state of Utah, with only eight confirmed sightings over the last 40 years or so, per
. Utah's wolverines, though, might be about to give up their secrets, thanks to the first-ever capture of one of the animals there. State wildlife officials...
Gonna Be OK'
Mar 5, 2022 9:30 AM CST
GOP Governor to Transgender Athletes: 'It's Gonna Be OK'
Utah's Spencer Cox says he'll veto bill to ban transgender student athletes in girls sports
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox said that he plans to veto legislation passed Friday that would ban transgender student-athletes from competing in girls sports. Without his support, Utah is unlikely to join the 11 states, all Republican-led, that have recently enacted bans on transgender girls wanting to compete in school sports...
Cops Say Boy, 4, Shot at Them
After Dad Told Him to
Feb 22, 2022 1:35 AM CST
Cops Say Boy, 4, Shot at Them After Dad Told Him to
The Utah father faces multiple charges
- As police pulled a man from his car and arrested him outside a McDonald's in Utah on Monday afternoon, they saw a gun emerge from the backseat. An officer was able to push it away just as it went off. The alleged shooter? The man's 4-year-old son, whom...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.