Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Here's One Thing You Definitely
Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Apr 1, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
Here's One Thing You Definitely Don't Want to Hear Midflight
Delta passengers were told windshield had shattered before being safely diverted
- A flight from Salt Lake City to DC made an unexpected landing this week, with passengers now expressing gratitude that things didn't turn out much worse. While a statement from Delta Air Lines to ABC4 simply notes that the Thursday flight was safely diverted to Denver after a "...
2 GOP Governors Veto
Transgender Sports Bans
Mar 22, 2022 6:13 PM CDT
2 GOP Governors Veto Transgender Sports Bans
' I always try to err on the side of kindness,' Utah Gov. Spencer Cox says
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox vetoed a ban on transgender students playing girls’ sports on Tuesday, becoming the second Republican governor this week to overrule state lawmakers taking on youth sports amid broader culture wars as LGBTQ visibility grows. Cox joins Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb, who vetoed a statewide ban on...
Utah Just Nabbed
Its First Wolverine
Mar 22, 2022 1:37 PM CDT
Utah Just Nabbed Its First Wolverine
Creature never before caught in the state is fitted with a GPS collar
- Wolverines are notoriously reclusive creatures in the state of Utah, with only eight confirmed sightings over the last 40 years or so, per
. Utah's wolverines, though, might be about to give up their secrets, thanks to the first-ever capture of one of the animals there. State wildlife officials...
Gonna Be OK'
Mar 5, 2022 9:30 AM CST
GOP Governor to Transgender Athletes: 'It's Gonna Be OK'
Utah's Spencer Cox says he'll veto bill to ban transgender student athletes in girls sports
- Utah Gov. Spencer Cox said that he plans to veto legislation passed Friday that would ban transgender student-athletes from competing in girls sports. Without his support, Utah is unlikely to join the 11 states, all Republican-led, that have recently enacted bans on transgender girls wanting to compete in school sports...
Cops Say Boy, 4, Shot at Them
After Dad Told Him to
Feb 22, 2022 1:35 AM CST
Cops Say Boy, 4, Shot at Them After Dad Told Him to
The Utah father faces multiple charges
- As police pulled a man from his car and arrested him outside a McDonald's in Utah on Monday afternoon, they saw a gun emerge from the backseat. An officer was able to push it away just as it went off. The alleged shooter? The man's 4-year-old son, whom...
He Called It a Suicide Pact.
Only His Partner Died
Feb 14, 2022 11:12 AM CST
He Called It a Suicide Pact. Only His Partner Died
University of Utah student arrested in death of girlfriend, an international student at school
- The notice posted Friday by the University of Utah was one brought with "heavy hearts," relaying news on the death of a 19-year-old international student in what appeared to be a "domestic violence situation." Now, the Salt Lake City Police Department is offering more context, announcing...
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Jan 13, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Report: Petito Likely 'Long- Term' Domestic Violence Victim
'Mistakes' were made in Aug. 12 police stop, independent report adds
- An investigation has found that Utah police made "several unintentional mistakes" when they stopped Gabby Petito and her boyfriend before she was killed, per the AP . The independent report released Wednesday examines a police stop in Moab on Aug. 12 after the couple's van was seen speeding and...
Tech Firm Mogul's Antisemitic
Email: 'Jews Are Behind This'
Jan 5, 2022 9:25 AM CST
Tech Firm Mogul's Antisemitic Email: 'Jews Are Behind This'
Entrata's Dave Bateman resigns from board after tying Jewish people to vaccine conspiracy theory
- "I write this email knowing that many of you will think I'm crazy after reading it." That's how Utah tech entrepreneur and GOP fundraiser Dave Bateman started off his message to state leaders and members of the tech industry on Tuesday, suggesting he had at least...
Demolition Crew Finds
Pioneer Cabin Inside
Dec 28, 2021 5:45 PM CST
Demolition Crew Finds Pioneer Cabin Inside 20th-Century Home
City of Orem says pioneer home will be preserved inside new park
- Demolition of a 20th-century home in Orem, Utah was halted after contractors found a 19th-century home inside. The log cabin built by Swedish settler Carl Hanson around 1885 is going to be preserved at the city's new Heritage Park, a few miles south of its original location, the
Missing Student Found
in Suspect's Coal Room
Dec 20, 2021 1:10 PM CST
Missing Student Found in Suspect's Coal Room
Police in Utah say Madelyn Allen was held against her will for several days
- Police in Utah say a man was taken into custody Saturday night after a student who had been missing since Monday was found in his basement coal room, naked and covered in coal. Candlelight vigils planned for Sunday at Snow College became "gatherings of gratitude" after police confirmed that...
Olympic Medalist Charged
With $10M PPP Loan Fraud
Dec 20, 2021 7:53 AM CST
Olympic Medalist Charged With $10M PPP Loan Fraud
Speed skater Allison Baver allegedly used some of the funds to invest in an Elijah Wood film
- A Utah speed skater who picked up a bronze medal at the 2010 Olympics and participated in the two Winter Games before that has been indicted and charged with making false statements to get her hands on millions in COVID relief loans. Per a release from the US Attorney's...
USU Chief Quits After Remarks
to Football Players Surface
Dec 17, 2021 5:05 AM CST
USU Chief Quits After Remarks to Football Players Surface
Earl Morris told Aggies players Mormon women might falsely accuse them of rape
- The chief of police at Utah State University resigned Thursday—two days after a speech he made to football players about sexual assault was described in a federal lawsuit against the school. In a recording of the speech made to Aggies players this fall, Chief Earl Morris can be heard...
Hungry Deer Pose Threat
to World's Biggest Organism
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2021 2:20 PM CST
Hungry Deer Pose Threat to World's Biggest Organism
Pando, a stand of aspens in Utah, also faces threats from disease and warmer temperatures
- It looks for all the world like a giant grove of trees, but this one has a twist: The 106-acre stand of aspens in Utah known as Pando is actually a single organism—and the biggest organism in the world at that. The trees don't grow from seeds but...
Dixie State University Gets
a Controversial Name Change
Nov 11, 2021 12:54 AM CST
Dixie State University Gets a Controversial Name Change
Utah Legislature votes for change to Utah Tech University
Dixie State University will likely soon be called Utah Tech University. The Republican-controlled state legislature in Utah voted to change the name Wednesday, despite local outcry from those who insisted the regional importance of the word "Dixie" is separate from the word's association with slavery, the AP...
One State Is
the Stingiest of All
Nov 9, 2021 5:00 PM CST
One State Is the Stingiest of All
New Mexico ranks last in the ranking of generous states
- Some locales are more generous than others, and WalletHub has ranked the states with metrics that include not just monetary donations but the volunteer rate and number of food banks. Here are the 10 most generous states (congrats, Utah), followed by the least generous (sorry, New Mexico):
Utah, with an
Cops: Wrong Order of Chicken
Wings Led to Attempted Murder
Oct 30, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Cops: Wrong Order of Chicken Wings Led to Attempted Murder
Alika Suliafu arrested in Utah after allegedly firing gun at dad during argument
- A squabble over a fast-food order between a father and son has led to an attempted murder charge in Utah. Insider reports that 31-year-old Alika Suliafu was arrested on Oct. 21 in Bountiful, about a 20-minute drive north from Salt Lake City, and it was all apparently over chicken wings....
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
Elderly Woman Runs Over
Bicyclist Multiple Times
Oct 19, 2021 1:53 AM CDT
Elderly Woman Runs Over Bicyclist Multiple Times
Utah man died of his injuries 5 days later
- A cyclist who was run over multiple times on a Utah sidewalk last month died from his injuries. Warren Yoshio Watanabe, 62, was bicycling past Warren's Family Restaurant in the city of Roy the morning of Sept. 20 when a car pulling out of the parking lot struck him....
Oct 11, 2021 1:53 AM CDT
87 Ultra-Runners Rescued From Utah Snowstorm
- Early Saturday, a group of ultra-runners set off on what was supposed to be a 50-mile race through Utah's mountains. But that same morning, 12 to 18 inches of snow fell during a storm in those same mountains, leading to the rescue of 87 runners, CBS News reports. The...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.