Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Is Out of Jail
Oct 8, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Anna Sorokin Is Out of Jail
Con woman who'd faked being rich heiress 'Anna Delvey' had been in ICE custody since March 2021
Anna Sorokin, the German national who faked being a rich heiress and inspired Netflix's
, is out of jail. The
reports that Sorokin's attorney confirmed her release Friday from Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention, where she'd been held since March 2021. "She will...
US: We Have
on 'Series of
Horrors' in Ukraine
Sep 8, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
US: We Have New Evidence on 'Series of Horrors' in Ukraine
US Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield says up to 1.6M Ukrainians have been deported to Russia
- The US said Wednesday it has evidence that "hundreds of thousands" of Ukrainian citizens have been interrogated, detained, and forcibly deported to Russia in "a series of horrors" overseen by officials from Russia's presidency. The charge came during a United Nations Security Council meeting called to discuss...
Deported From Turkey,
Arrested at UK Airport
Aug 11, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Deported From Turkey, Arrested at UK Airport
Aine Davis, man said to be 4th ISIS 'Beatle,' detained on terror charges in Luton
- Aine Davis, the man alleged to be the fourth Islamic State "Beatle" was deported from Turkey, then arrested Wednesday in the United Kingdom as soon as he landed. "A 38-year-old man has been charged with various terrorism offenses following an investigation by the Met's counterterrorism command,"...
New Details Emerge in
Djokovic's Detention Case
Jan 8, 2022 6:00 AM CST
New Details Emerge in Djokovic's Detention Case
Serbian tennis star, facing deportation in Australia, had COVID last month, lawyers say in court filing
- The mystery of whether or not Novak Djokovic has actually received the coronavirus vaccine has now been cleared up, and we now also know more about his experiences with COVID. On Saturday, his lawyers submitted court documents that revealed the 34-year-old Serbian tennis star had had COVID in December and...
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic
Has a Message for Fans
Jan 7, 2022 12:09 PM CST
Amid Aussie Mess, Djokovic Has a Message for Fans
Serbian tennis star is feeling the love as he tries to clear up visa/vaccine hubbub before Australian Open
- Novak Djokovic still isn't revealing whether he's been vaccinated, but he's now speaking out to family and fans supporting him as he's caught up in a visa commotion Down Under. The Serbian tennis star, who was denied entry to Australia this week ahead of the Australian...
ICE Deportations Hit
Lowest Point on Record
May 5, 2021 5:57 PM CDT
ICE Deportations Hit Lowest Point on Record
Biden administration emphasizes catching criminals
- Although illegal crossings into the US are still at elevated levels, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported fewer people in April than in any month on record. According to preliminary figures, 2,962 immigrants were deported last month, a 20% drop from March. It was the first time the monthly total...
After 60-Plus Years in US,
Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Feb 20, 2021 9:00 AM CST
After 60-Plus Years in US, Ex-Nazi Guard Gets the Boot
Friedrich Karl Berger, 95, deported for working at 'atrocious' Neuengamme subcamp in Germany
- Authorities in the US deported a 95-year-old man Friday who acknowledged working as a guard in a Nazi concentration camp. The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said in a statement that Friedrich Karl Berger, a German citizen, was sent back to Germany this month for serving as a guard for...
Mass Shooting Survivor
Swiftly Deported to Mexico
Feb 1, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Mass Shooting Survivor Swiftly Deported to Mexico
Rosa gave a statement to FBI, El Paso police after 2019 Walmart attack
- A woman thus far identified only as Rosa was pulled over in El Paso, Texas, on Wednesday for a faulty brake light. It turns out she had two outstanding misdemeanor traffic citations from 2015, reports KVIA . She was arrested and taken to the El Paso county jail annex, and by...
She Raved About
LGBT Lifestyle. Now
She's Been Deported
Jan 21, 2021 9:40 AM CST
She Raved About LGBT Lifestyle. Now She's Been Deported
American Kristen Gray deported from Bali, accused of "spreading information that could unsettle public"
- For Kristen Gray, Bali proved to be a dream come true, and the 28-year-old American wanted to share that dream—specifically, how the island is tolerant toward the LGBT community and Black visitors like her, and how others should move there. The Indonesian government, however, didn't exactly appreciate her...
Ex-Nazi, 94, Found
Living in Memphis
Mar 6, 2020 10:25 AM CST
Ex-Nazi, 94, Found Living in Memphis
Friedrich Karl Berger, in the US for 60 years, will be deported to Germany
- The US government said Thursday that it's deporting a 94-year-old German ex-Nazi who has been in the United States for decades. An immigration judge ordered Friedrich Karl Berger's deportation on Feb. 28 after a two-day trial in Memphis, Tenn., authorities said. It's unclear when he'll be...
The US Deported Them.
138 Are Now Dead
Feb 5, 2020 7:11 AM CST
The US Deported Them. 138 Are Now Dead
Human Rights Watch documents cases of murdered Salvadorans
- The report is called "Deported to Danger," and for at least 138 Salvadorans, danger is putting it too mildly. In its report released Wednesday, Human Rights Watch says that's the number of migrants and asylum seekers that were murdered after the US deported them back to El...
Worker Hurt in New Orleans
Collapse Gets Shown the Door
Nov 30, 2019 7:50 PM CST
Worker Hurt in New Orleans Collapse Gets Shown the Door
Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, 38, was flown to Honduras
- A construction worker hurt in last month’s collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel construction site in New Orleans has been deported to his native Honduras on Friday, the AP reports. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Bryan Cox said Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, 38, was flown to Honduras...
Double Murderer Demands
Pardon, Instead Gets Parole
Nov 26, 2019 10:45 AM CST
Double Murderer Demands Pardon, Instead Gets Parole
Jens Soering, accessory Elizabeth Haysom will also be deported
- Jens Soering and Elizabeth Haysom, lovers convicted of the brutal 1985 murder of Haysom's parents, have been awarded parole in Virginia—but they won't be staying in the US for long. Following Monday's surprise ruling, Soering, the son of a German diplomat, and Haysom, a Canadian, will...
Worker Who Complained About
Deadly Hotel Is in Big Trouble
Nov 23, 2019 11:45 AM CST
Worker Who Complained About Deadly Hotel Is in Big Trouble
Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma is facing deportation
- A construction worker who barely survived the collapse of an unfinished New Orleans hotel is facing deportation—and immigration activists are crying foul, NOLA.com reports. Delmer Joel Ramirez Palma, a Honduran national, was injured when the building collapsed Oct. 12, killing three workers and injuring dozens of others. Ramirez...
Deported Veteran Raises
His Right Hand in Chicago
Oct 5, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Deported Veteran Raises His Right Hand in Chicago
Miguel Perez has become an American
- On Friday, Miguel Perez fulfilled a long-held dream: The Army veteran and deported drug felon swore an oath to affirm his US citizenship, CNN reports. A Facebook video shows him turning to the American flag and saluting. "It's been a long ... a long journey, a long battle,"...
Ordered Out of US, Woman
Faces Death Without Treatment
Sep 2, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Ordered Out of US, Woman Faces Death Without Treatment
Isabel Bueso arrived 16 years ago to be a subject in a trial
- Immigrants facing deportation from the US and those seeking asylum here have feared for their safety—but Isabel Bueso fears for her health. She has a rare disease, mucopolysaccharidoses, for which she receives treatment in Oakland that she couldn't get back in Guatemala. Bueso, 24, came to the US...
Harvard Freshman Denied
Entry to US, Deported
Aug 28, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Harvard Freshman Denied Entry to US, Deported
He says officer disapproved of his friends' online posts
- On Friday, Palestinian teenager Ismail Ajjawi arrived in Boston on his way to start his freshman year at Harvard. Eight hours later, he was kicked out of the country. The 17-year-old, who lives in Lebanon, says his visa was canceled and he was deported after an immigration officer disapproved of...
'Jimmy Was Found
Dead Today in Iraq'
Aug 8, 2019 8:33 AM CDT
'Jimmy Was Found Dead Today in Iraq'
Attorney says Jimmy Aldaoud, deported in June, was a diabetic with mental health issues
- "Jimmy was found dead today in Iraq." That was the Facebook announcement Wednesday from immigration attorney Edward Bajoka, who revealed the fate of friend Jimmy Aldaoud, a Detroit man deported in June amid the Trump administration's immigration roundups. Aldaoud—who Bajoka says was a diabetic suffering from...
ICE Official: 'There Have
Been No Mass Arrests'
Jul 17, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
ICE Official: 'There Have Been No Mass Arrests'
This week has been 'business as usual,' he says
- The planned raids to round up thousands of migrants subject to deportation orders have been something of a non-event so far, according to a Immigration and Customs Enforcement official. "This notion that we were going to do this massive sweep—to be honest, there have been limited results so...
Before Campaign Launch,
Jun 18, 2019 6:44 AM CDT
Before Campaign Launch, Trump Announces Mass Deportations
'They will be removed as fast as they come in'
- President Trump is threatening to remove millions of people living in the country illegally. In a pair of tweets Monday night—the eve of formally announcing his re-election bid—Trump said that US Immigration and Customs Enforcement would next week "begin the process of removing the millions of illegal...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.