Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sports Writer's World Series
Streak Ends at 252 Games
Oct 21, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Sports Writer's World Series Streak Ends at 252 Games
Thomas M. Boswell recounts the 'marvelous misery'
- For the first time since 1975, Thomas M. Boswell will not be covering the World Series, ending a 252-game streak. "I don't think it's smart for a 72-year-old man in a pandemic," writes the
sports columnist. But the choice has left him pining for...
Star Player Injures Himself
Celebrating Clutch Home Run
Oct 19, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Star Player Injures Himself Celebrating Clutch Home Run
Dodgers' Cody Bellinger dislocates his shoulder
- The Los Angeles Dodgers advanced to the World Series thanks in no small part to Cody Bellinger's tie-breaking home run against Atlanta in the 7th inning Sunday night. As it turns out, Bellinger actually hurt himself celebrating the feat, reports
. The outfielder dislocated his right shoulder when...
Dodgers Have a Chance
for First Title Since 1988
Oct 19, 2020 12:32 AM CDT
Dodgers Have a Chance for First Title Since 1988
They're heading to the World Series
- Mookie Betts is leaping into the World Series, carrying the Los Angeles Dodgers with his glove rather than with his bat. The star right fielder made his third terrific catch in three days, this time robbing Freddie Freeman of a home run and helping the Dodgers beat the Atlanta Braves...
Look Who Has a Parade
Nov 2, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Look Who Has a Parade
The music? You bet it involves a "Baby Shark"
- The song "Baby Shark" blared over loudspeakers and a wave of red washed across this politically blue capital Saturday as Nationals fans lined the city's version of the Canyon of Heroes to rejoice in Washington's first World Series victory since 1924, the AP reports. "We just...
on White House
Visit: 'I Just
Can't Do It'
Nov 2, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Nationals Pitcher on White House Visit: 'I Just Can't Do It'
Sean Doolittle won't attend Monday to celebrate World Series win, citing aversion to Trump's actions
- The Nationals finally have their World Series rings , and with that honor came an expected invite to the White House, a Monday event that was announced on Friday , per Fox News . One person who won't be celebrating there: relief pitcher Sean Doolittle, who talked extensively about his decision with...
Astros Ace After Loss: 'I'm
Not an Employee of the Team'
Oct 31, 2019 11:38 AM CDT
Astros Ace After Loss: 'I'm Not an Employee of the Team'
Fans question manager's decision not to bring in Gerrit Cole
- "I'm not an employee of the team." Not exactly warm words coming from Houston Astros ace pitcher Gerrit Cole following Houston's Game 7 loss in the World Series Wednesday night. Even more telling about his future with the club: When speaking to reporters, Cole ditched his...
DC Goes Wild After
Nationals' Big Win
Oct 31, 2019 7:45 AM CDT
DC Goes Wild After Nationals' Big Win
'The energy was incredible. It was electrifying'
- It was the first World Series in which the home team lost all seven games, the first World Series win for a Washington team since 1924—and the first-ever Series win for the Washington Nationals, who started out as the Montreal Expos in 1969. The 6-2 Game 7 win happened...
Nationals Win Their
First World Series
Oct 31, 2019 12:27 AM CDT
Nationals Win Their First World Series
Washington, DC, team overcame 2-run deficit in Game 7
- Almost out of contention in May, champs in October. Howie Kendrick, Anthony Rendon, and the Washington Nationals completed their amazing comeback journey—fittingly with one last late rally on the road. In Game 7 of the World Series, no less. Kendrick and Rendon homered in the seventh inning as the...
World Series Is
Going to Game 7
Oct 30, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
World Series Is Going to Game 7
Nats hammered Astros 7-2
- Stephen Strasburg took a gem into the ninth inning and Juan Soto ran all the way to first base with his bat following a go-ahead home run, the same way Houston slugger Alex Bregman did earlier. Washington has matched the Astros pitch for pitch, hit for hit, win for win—...
He Nabbed Ball
2 Beers, Gets
Oct 29, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
He Nabbed Ball While Holding 2 Beers, Gets Rewarded
Bud Light is sending the Washington Nationals fan back to the World Series
- Jeff Adams made headlines when, at Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday, he managed to nab a home run ball while also holding a can of beer in each hand. He was walking back to his seat at Washington DC's Nationals Park after procuring the beer when...
2 World Series Flashers
Banned From Ballparks
Oct 29, 2019 1:40 AM CDT
2 World Series Flashers Banned From Ballparks
They 'violated the fan code of conduct,' MLB says
- Two women who flashed their breasts during Game 5 of the World Series on Sunday won't be at Game 6—or any other Major League Baseball games in the foreseeable future. Julia Rose and Lauren Summer were a few rows behind home plate at Nationals Park and appeared in...
Trump Booed by Crowd
at World Series Game
Oct 28, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Trump Booed by Crowd at World Series Game
Crowd chanted 'Lock him up!'
- President Trump went to his first Major League Baseball game as president Sunday night. After the reception he received from Nationals fans during their World Series game against the Astros, it may be his last.
reports that the president received a "thunderous chorus of boos" after he...
Nationals Wiped Out at Home
Oct 28, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
Nationals Wiped Out at Home
Astros take 3-2 Series lead
- The Houston Astros handed the ball to Gerrit Cole, and he gave them a firm grip on the World Series. Minus ailing ace Max Scherzer, the Nationals were no match in this Washington wipeout. Cole bounced back from a Game 1 clunker to pitch the Astros to a 7-1 win...
It's Curse, Curse, Curse
for the Home Team
Oct 27, 2019 6:22 AM CDT
It's Curse, Curse, Curse for the Home Team
Astros defeat Nationals at home to tie series at 2-2
- Unheralded rookie José Urquidy outpitched big-name aces, quieting Washington's bats and the Nationals Park crowd, too. Alex Bregman busted out of his slump with a go-ahead single in the first inning and a grand slam in the seventh, and the resurgent Houston Astros routed the Nationals 8-1 Saturday night...
Nationals Won't Be
Sweeping the World Series
Oct 26, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Nationals Won't Be Sweeping the World Series
Houston Astros win one against DC's home team, giving Nationals 2-1 lead in Fall Classic
- The World Series finally showed up back in Washington, 86 years later—and, sparked by Jose Altuve, the Houston Astros finally showed up in this World Series. Altuve doubled twice and scored both times, Zack Greinke repeatedly worked out of trouble, and the Astros made sure they wouldn't go...
Nationals Hammer Astros,
Take 2-0 Series Lead
Oct 24, 2019 12:29 AM CDT
Nationals Hammer Astros, Take 2-0 Series Lead
They won 12-3 in Houston
- Stephen Strasburg's time had come. Famously held out of the postseason seven years ago, Strasburg delivered on the biggest stage of all Wednesday night. The right-hander outdueled fellow ace Justin Verlander, overcoming a shaky start to give the Washington Nationals a 12-3 win over the Houston Astros and a...
Nationals Win First-Ever
World Series Game
Oct 23, 2019 12:34 AM CDT
Nationals Win First-Ever World Series Game
They beat Houston Astros 5-4
- Juan Soto and the Washington Nationals quickly derailed the Cole Express. A 20-year-old prodigy with a passion for the big moment, Soto homered onto the train tracks high above the left field wall and hit a two-run double as the Nationals tagged Gerrit Cole and the Houston Astros 5-4 Tuesday...
Walk-Off Sets Up World Series
That Could Buck a Trend
Oct 20, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Walk-Off Sets Up World Series That Could Buck a Trend
Astros and Nationals are rich in dominant pitching
- A ninth inning with dueling home runs sent the Astros to the World Series and a matchup with the Nationals. The Yankees came back Saturday night in Houston to tie the Astros with a homer by D.J. LeMahieu in a 10-pitch at-bat, Deadspin reports. Jose Altuve launched a walk-off...
Sox Mark World Series
Win With a Yankees Diss
Oct 29, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
Sox Mark World Series Win With a Yankees Diss
Boston Red Sox blasted Frank Sinatra's 'New York, New York' in the locker room
- Like a boy who pulls the ponytails of the girl he secretly likes on the playground, the Boston Red Sox gave a shoutout of sorts to the New York Yankees after winning the World Series Sunday night. In the locker room after emerging victorious 5-1 in Game 5 against the...
Red Sox Are New
World Series Champs
Oct 29, 2018 12:15 AM CDT
Red Sox Are New World Series Champs
For 2nd year in a row, heartbreak at home for LA Dodgers
- The Boston Red Sox won their fourth World Series championship in 15 years, beating the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-1 in Game 5 on Sunday night behind David Price's pitching and Steve Pearce's power. Alex Cora became the first manager from Puerto Rico to guide a team to the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.