Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Haley to Launch $10M Ad
Blitz to Overtake DeSantis
Nov 13, 2023 12:12 PM CST
Haley to Launch $10M Ad Blitz to Overtake DeSantis
Former UN ambassador plans TV, radio, and digital ads in Iowa, New Hampshire
- Nikki Haley's presidential campaign will reserve $10 million in television, radio, and digital advertising across Iowa and New Hampshire beginning in the first week of December, a massive investment designed to give the former United Nations ambassador an advantage over Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Details of the advertising plans,...
Another Dem Jumping
in the Race Against Biden
Oct 27, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
Another Dem Jumping in the Race Against Biden
Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips plans to announce he's taking on president from his own party
- President Biden already has a slew of Republicans vying for his job in the Oval Office— including the current frontrunner from that party, former President Trump—as well as fellow Democrats Marianne Williamson and Cenk Uygur , and independent candidates Cornel West and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Now, another Dem is...
Inside California Dems' Effort
to Boot Trump From Ballot
Sep 19, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Inside California Dems' Effort to Boot Trump From Ballot
Group asks state attorney general to expedite court ruling on former president's eligibility
- Nine Democrats in California are seeking an expedited court ruling that could bar former President Donald Trump from the March 5 presidential primary ballot, claiming he's ineligible to resume office. The lawmakers—who echo conservative law scholars in arguing Trump may have violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment,...
Dec 2, 2022 1:22 AM CST
Biden's Primary Proposal: Let South Carolina Go First
Iowa, New Hampshire aren't fans of the idea
- President Biden is proposing what
calls a "massive overhaul" of the primary calendar, though the final decision rests with the Democratic National Committee. Biden's idea is to replace Iowa, whose caucuses currently kick off the nominating season, with South Carolina. Under his proposal, South Carolina, New...
Who Takes on
Aug 23, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Big Primary Question: Who Takes on DeSantis?
Florida Democratic race and congressional contests in New York are in spotlight
- Tuesday is another primary day, with a handful of races in Florida and New York getting the bulk of attention. Coverage:
Democrats will pick their nominee to face Gov. Ron DeSantis in November. Congressman Charlie Crist, who previously served as governor, is running against state Agriculture Commissioner Nikki
Cemented a New GOP
Aug 17, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's Primaries Cemented a New GOP
Cheney vows to continue fighting 'against those who would destroy our republic'
- Liz Cheney knew she was fighting a losing battle. Had she cozied up to Donald Trump, she might have easily won her Wyoming primary on Tuesday instead of losing handily (she had 29% support to Harriet Hageman's 66%, with 99% of expected votes counted, per the
3 Big Names
on Ballot, Plus
One That Isn't
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Primary Day: 3 Big Names on Ballot, Plus One That Isn't
Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, and Lisa Murkowski fight to move on, all with fates tied to Donald Trump
- Pretty much all the focus in Tuesday's primary schedule is on three high-profile names—Liz Cheney, Lisa Murkowski, and Sarah Palin—all of whom have a strong connection to former President Trump. Here's the latest on the contests out of Wyoming and Alaska:
The sentiment about the
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
Test of Trump's
Jun 21, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
In Alabama, an Unusual Test of Trump's Influence
Former president initially endorsed Mo Brooks in Senate race, then unendorsed him
- A handful of states are holding contests Tuesday at the midpoint of a primary season that has been shaped by former President Trump's effort to influence the GOP, per the AP . Nowhere is that more in evidence than in Alabama, where GOP Rep. Mo Brooks and fellow Republican Katie...
Trump's Clout Faces Big
Test in Georgia Races
May 24, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Trump's Clout Faces Big Test in Georgia Races
It's another primary day
- It's another busy primary Tuesday. Georgia takes center stage as Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger try to fight back challengers endorsed by former President Trump, who's seeking revenge for his 2020 election defeat in the state. An assessment at FiveThirtyEight sees that and other...
It's a Close One
May 18, 2022 9:04 AM CDT
It's a Close One Between Oz, McCormick in Pa. Primary
GOP contenders are neck and neck in state's primary, with Kathy Barnette now out of the race
- Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman has won his state's Democratic primary to run for a US Senate seat being vacated by Republican Pat Toomey, but the race to see which GOPer will face off against him is a nail-biter—and it could be a while before the victor is...
2 Races Are
May 10, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
In Tuesday Primaries, 2 Races Are Trump Tests
Former president backing Alex Mooney in West Virginia and Charles Herbster in Nebraska
- It's another primary day in America, and much of the attention is again focused on a man whose name is not on any ballot—Donald Trump. Candidates backed by the former president—notably Ohio Senate hopeful JD Vance —did well in last week's primaries in Ohio and...
For Sinema and Manchin,
a Big Question Looms
Jan 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
For Sinema and Manchin, a Big Question Looms
Will the Democratic party support primary challenges against them in 2024?
- Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin didn't budge on the filibuster—thus dooming voting-rights legislation —and have cemented their roles as perceived fiends among Democrats. Now the big question in regard to the Democratic senators: Will the party try to "primary" them in 2024? Chuck Schumer and other...
After the Primaries,
an Ominous Sign
on Mail-In Ballots
Aug 24, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
After the Primaries, an Ominous Sign on Mail-In Ballots
At least 500,000 rejected, signaling a possible 'mess' in the general, especially in swing states
- All eyes are trained on Nov. 3, expected to be the most chaotic election in modern US history. Now, a new possible wrench that has some worried the battle may be prolonged way past Election Day, as well as about disenfranchisement. The
reports that nearly 535,000 mail-in...
on Cuba Could
Cost Him Big
Mar 12, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Sanders' Remarks on Cuba Could Cost Him Big in Florida
Biden has advantage among various demographics, including Hispanics, ahead of Tuesday's primary
- Bernie Sanders' 2020 campaign is struggling after Joe Biden's big wins in recent primaries, and another important state on the horizon also doesn't look particularly promising for the Vermont senator. Marc Caputo writes for Politico that after "Michigan broke Bernie Sanders' heart Tuesday, Florida looks ready to...
Biden Won After
Mar 11, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Biden Won After 'Suburban Surge'
Ex-VP racking up primary victories from suburbanites looking for a moderate
- Former Vice President Joe Biden has solidly taken front-runner status after Tuesday's primaries , and a big part of his more recent victories can be attributed to what the
calls a "suburban surge." The paper notes that voter turnout in Michigan especially saw a spike in...
This Is Florida's First
Black Nominee for Governor
Aug 29, 2018 6:41 AM CDT
This Is Florida's First Black Nominee for Governor
Plus more results from Tuesday's primary elections
- Andrew Gillum pulled off an upset victory in Florida on Tuesday to become the state's first black nominee for governor, the AP reports. The Bernie Sanders-backed liberal Democrat, currently the mayor of Tallahassee, will run against President Trump-endorsed Republican Rep. Ron DeSantis, Fox News reports, results that the AP...
Aug 15, 2018 1:56 AM CDT
Transgender Candidate Makes History in Vermont
Hallquist's victory praised as a 'defining moment'
- In a historic moment for the transgender rights movement, former power company exec Christine Hallquist won the Democratic primary for Vermont governor Tuesday, becoming the first transgender candidate from a major party to win a gubernatorial primary. Hallquist, who transitioned from male to female in 2015, was chief executive of...
Primaries Set Up Tough
Senate Battle in Tennessee
Aug 3, 2018 2:24 AM CDT
Primaries Set Up Tough Senate Battle in Tennessee
Political outsider wins GOP nomination for governor
- Thursday's primaries have set the stage for months of hard-fought campaigning in Tennessee—and with control of the Senate potentially in the balance, guaranteed that President Trump will be making a few visits to the state. In a move that the
predicts will give the party its...
What Crowley's 'Titanic' Loss
Says About the Party's Future
Jun 27, 2018 8:04 AM CDT
What Crowley's 'Titanic' Loss Says About the Party's Future
It may be good news for women
- "A seismic blow." "Titanic upset." Such are the phrases being used to describe Rep. Joe Crowley's Tuesday-night loss in New York. It ushers in the end of a 20-year House career for the man who occupied the No. 4 spot among the Democrats within...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.