Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We May Never Get Out
of Our Cars Again to Eat
Nov 8, 2023 4:13 PM CST
We May Never Get Out of Our Cars Again to Eat
Drive-thru use has spiked since the pandemic hit, as consumers still balk at being social
- There's always something going on at the drive-thru, but that may be simply because so many people are using it these days. It's an uptick that arose after COVID's arrival, with customers who now crave "speed and solitude" when picking up a meal outside the home,...
David Brooks Posts a
Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
in case you missed it
Sep 24, 2023 11:15 AM CDT
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Restaurant at Newark Airport pushes back at 'NYT' columnist's suspiciously high tab
- David Brooks' op-eds for the
New York Times
have raised eyebrows before , but it was a tweet about his recent airport meal, and an insinuation about the US economy under President Biden , that put the newspaper columnist on the radar this week. That post has since gone viral, and the...
Want to Cross Paths With
the Rich? Head to IHOP
Sep 16, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Want to Cross Paths With the Rich? Head to IHOP
Chain restaurants are where those of diverse socioeconomic statuses may get to interact
- If you were asked to come up with venues that represent a true melting pot of the rich, poor, and everyone in between interacting, you might think of the likes of churches, parks, and post offices. But the Messenger reports on a new study out of MIT and California's...
Jun 30, 2023 2:02 PM CDT
Creators' Eatery Outlaws Tipping
At Colorado's Casa Bonita, servers and bartenders will instead make $30 an hour
- In September 2021, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the animated sitcom
, purchased Casa Bonita, a sprawling 52,000-square-foot Mexican restaurant in Lakewood, Colorado, that was featured in one of the show's episodes. The pair shuttered the eatery, which had declared bankruptcy before they purchased it,...
Fake Priest Just
Cost It $140K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 24, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Restaurant's Fake Priest Just Cost It $140K
California eatery had workers confess their 'sins' in 'most shameless' plot to intimidate them, per DOL
- It may have seemed a bit unconventional for a priest to show up at their place of employment to offer confession, but workers at the Taqueria Garibaldi restaurant in Sacramento took the holy man up on the chance to admit their "sins." Now, the owners of the Northern...
Axe-Wielding Man Attacks
New Zealand Restaurants
Jun 20, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Axe-Wielding Man Attacks New Zealand Restaurants
4 injured in the incident
- A man with an axe attacked random diners at three neighboring Chinese restaurants in New Zealand, wounding four people, police and witnesses said. Police said the man began the attack at about 9pm Monday in the north Auckland suburb of Albany, the AP reports. Police arrested a 24-year-old suspect at...
Restaurant's $480K Suit Goes
After Teen for 'Sushi Terrorism'
Jun 12, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Restaurant's $480K Suit Goes After Teen for 'Sushi Terrorism'
Japan's Sushiro chain says high schooler licked sushi, claims customers fled after viral video
- A high schooler in Japan has been hit with a nearly half-million-dollar lawsuit, after a sushi eatery says viral footage of his antics caused a huge customer dip. Broadcaster NHK reports that Akindo Sushiro Co., parent company of the Sushiro chain, is suing the teen for $480,000, accusing him...
in case you missed it
May 28, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Customers Reject a Pandemic-Era Restaurant Staple
Eateries are ditching QR code menus
- We all got used to an avalanche of changes in our daily routines during the peak of COVID, including ways in which to safely dine in public once lockdowns were lifted. Now, one of those eating-out protocols is falling by the wayside: Restaurants are starting to ditch scannable QR codes,...
A Fateful Dinner in 1965 Led
to a Food Revolution in US
May 14, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
A Fateful Dinner in 1965 Led to a Food Revolution in US
'Los Angeles Times' explains how Noritoshi Kanai and Harry Wolff Jr. popularized sushi
- If you've ever been to a sushi bar or even tasted the Japanese dish, the credit might belong to two men described by Daniel Miller in the
Los Angeles Times
as the "ultimate odd couple." Harry Wolff Jr. was "an imposing Jewish man who’d cut...
Ordering at Panera?
Put Up Your Palm
Apr 1, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ordering at Panera? Put Up Your Palm
Critics say chain's plan to use biometrics payment system could lead to privacy issues
- Soon, paying at Panera Bread will be as easy as holding up your hand. That's because the bakery-cafe chain will be rolling out a palm-reading payment system over the next few months, expediting transactions but raising concerns among privacy advocates. NPR reports that the biometrics technology it plans on...
Restaurant and Chill?
Subscriptions Are Expanding
Feb 21, 2023 1:51 PM CST
Restaurant and Chill? Subscriptions Are Expanding
It's not just Netflix anymore
- Consumers are willing to pay monthly subscription fees for streaming services, pet food, and even toilet paper. And as the AP reports, now some restaurants are betting they'll do the same for their favorite meals. Large chains like Panera and PF Chang’s, as well as neighborhood hangouts, are...
Subway Eyes $10B Deal: Report
Jan 12, 2023 7:21 AM CST
Subway Eyes $10B Deal: Report
It would be 'one of the most expensive deals for a restaurant chain in history'
- Subway, a fast-food company that has remained in the hands of its two founding families for more than 50 years, is exploring a possible sale. The restaurant chain with more US locations than any other has retained advisers to explore selling the company for as much as $10 billion, the...
Decision' to Head East
Jan 11, 2023 10:40 AM CST
In-N-Out Makes 'Life-Changing Decision' to Head East
In-N-Out Burger is expanding into Tennessee—the farthest east the chain has gone
- In-N-Out Burger hasn't made its way across the pond, though Prince Harry is now a new fan . But the iconic restaurant chain based in California is slowly working its way east, now announcing a plan to open sites in Tennessee. Per a statement from company owner and President Lynsi...
Big Closure May Signal Shift
in World of Fine Dining
Jan 9, 2023 11:34 AM CST
Big Closure May Signal Shift in World of Fine Dining
Noma, one of the best restaurants in the world, will close next year to become a test kitchen
- Noma has topped the prestigious World's 50 Best Restaurants list so many times—five—that it's not eligible to win anymore. But those who want to travel to Copenhagen to taste for themselves now have a limited opportunity to do so: The Danish restaurant said Monday that it...
Taco Bell Considering
Big Change to Its Menu
Dec 15, 2022 12:13 PM CST
Taco Bell Considering Big Change to Its Menu
Fast-food company may permanently offer fries to compete with McDonald's
- Taco Bell may soon be asking if you want fries with your taco—and not just on special occasions. The Mexican-inspired fast-food chain is considering making fries a permanent menu item as it aims to bring in more customers for lunch. Taco Bell launched nacho fries as a limited-time menu...
Oct 25, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
James Corden Opens Show With Apology
'Late Late Show' host explained how NYC restaurant banned him over 'rude comment'
- "Have I missed anything? Did I miss any news?" James Corden joked with his studio audience Monday. The
Late Late Show
host was, of course, referring to the hubbub sparked since he was banned, then unbanned from the New York City restaurant Balthazar over his reported treatment of the...
Cops: Man Upset
Over Botched Meal
Oct 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Upset Over Botched Meal Torched Eatery
Choephel Norbu apparently flipped over not getting chicken biryani he wanted from Queens restaurant
- A Queens, NY, man is in hot water after he apparently got miffed over a screwed-up order at a Bangladeshi restaurant earlier this month and set the place on fire, according to court documents cited by NBC News . Security video shot early Oct. 2 outside Ittadi Garden & Grill in...
Capes. They Wear
Sep 15, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes. They Wear Chick-fil-A Uniforms
Mykel Gordon praised for helping woman with baby during alleged carjacking in Okaloosa County, Fla.
- A fast-food employee saved the day this week during a terrifying alleged carjacking attempt in Florida. Per a release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office, a woman was getting her baby out of her car Wednesday in the parking lot of a Chick-fil-A in Fort Walton Beach when she...
28 Arrested in Viral
Video of Men Beating
Women in Restaurant
Aug 30, 2022 1:57 AM CDT
28 Arrested in Viral Video of Men Beating Women in Restaurant
Footage of women brutally attacked put gender-based violence back in spotlight
Twenty-eight people have been charged in the June assault on multiple women at a restaurant in China that sparked outrage regarding violence against women in the country. Authorities say the incident and charges are connected to gang activity in the area, the
reports. Authorities had previously said...
Cracker Barrel's New 'Sausage'
Creates Online Ruckus
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Cracker Barrel's New 'Sausage' Creates Online Ruckus
Chain's ad promoting plant-based Impossible brand generates backlash from customers
- It seemed an innocuous enough ad for Cracker Barrel. "Discover new meat frontiers," the restaurant chain announced in a Monday social media post . "Experience the out of this world flavor of Impossible Sausage Made From Plants next time you Build Your Own Breakfast." The accompanying photo...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.