Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Airlines Have a Dire
Warning on 5G Rollout
Jan 18, 2022 6:48 AM CST
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
They say it could lead to 'catastrophic' flight disruptions
- Verizon and AT&T are set to deploy new 5G service Wednesday—and in a letter to federal officials Monday, major airlines warned there could be "catastrophic" consequences. As Axios notes, the dispute between the airlines and the wireless companies has been going on a while, with the aviation...
Boarding on This American
Flight Got a Little Weird
Jan 12, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Boarding on This American Flight Got a Little Weird
Man storms cockpit, seems to try to climb out window on flight from Honduras bound for Miami
- An American Airlines flight from Honduras to Miami got a very late start on Tuesday, but it wasn't due to inclement weather, mechanical issues, or tardy crew members. Instead, per the
New York Times
, a "more novel reason" was behind the delay: an unruly passenger who broke into...
Airline CEOs Say Masks
Don't Do Much for Passengers
Dec 16, 2021 5:35 PM CST
Airline CEOs Say Masks Don't Do Much for Passengers
American, Southwest do some clarifying after backlash on testimony
- While flight crews battle unruly passengers, most of whom refuse to put on a mask for their trip, the bosses of a couple of major airlines told Congress that the masks don't do much good anyway. "I think the case is very strong that masks don't add...
Dreamliner Delay Cuts Into
American's International Flights
Dec 9, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Dreamliner Delay Cuts Into American's International Flights
Boeing hasn't delivered any of the jetliners in a year
- American Airlines is dropping some international flights for next summer because Boeing has failed to deliver planes that the airline ordered, according to an internal memo Thursday. Boeing has been unable to deliver its 787 jetliner, which it calls the Dreamliner, for about a year because of a series of...
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour
Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Nov 28, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Temperatures likely hovered below zero
- Federal authorities have taken into custody a 26-year-old man who apparently stowed away in the landing gear compartment of an American Airlines fight that arrived at Miami International Airport from Guatemala on Saturday morning, per the AP. The man was in the wheel well area when the flight arrived...
Airline Offers Pay Incentives
After Weekend of Cancellations
Nov 7, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Airline Offers Pay Incentives After Weekend of Cancellations
Staffers can pick up extra money for sticking it out through the holidays
- American Airlines is throwing money at the problem. The problem, canceled flights , is due in part to labor shortages. So, with the holiday travel season looming, the company is offering a cash incentive to stick around and work through until the new year. Flight attendants will earn 150% of their...
37 Airline Passengers
Considered for Prosecution
Nov 5, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
37 Airline Passengers Considered for Prosecution
FAA has new process to send cases of misbehavior to FBI
- The Federal Aviation Administration says it has referred 37 cases involving unruly airline passengers to the FBI for possible criminal prosecution since the number of disruptions on flights began to spike in January. FAA and Justice Department officials said Thursday that in the past three months, they have developed a...
Man Who Allegedly
Attendant Says He
Can't Make a Fist
Nov 2, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Man Who Allegedly Punched Flight Attendant Says He Can't Make a Fist
Brian Hsu has been charged in American Airlines incident
- The man charged with assaulting an American Airlines flight attendant last month is claiming self-defense. Brian Hsu of Irvine, Calif., was returning home after brain surgery, which the 20-year-old says he needed after being assaulted last year in New York City and suffering a brain injury. Hsu told FBI investigators...
Travel Trouble Continues
for American Airlines
Nov 1, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Travel Trouble Continues for American Airlines
Hundreds more flights are canceled Monday
It wasn't a great weekend to be a passenger on American Airlines, and things haven't improved much on Monday. The airline has canceled about 400 more flights, more than 14% of the day's total, bringing the number of canceled flights since Friday to more than 2,...
American Airlines 'Outraged'
After Alleged In-Flight Assault
Oct 28, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
American Airlines 'Outraged' After Alleged In-Flight Assault
Witnesses say attendant was punched in dispute over mask-wearing
- American Airlines says it is "outraged" by the actions of a passenger who allegedly assaulted a flight attendant on a Wednesday flight from New York City to California, causing the aircraft to be diverted to Denver. Witnesses say they saw staff duct-tape the passenger to a seat after he...
American Eagle Passengers
Saw Something, Said Something
Oct 10, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
American Eagle Passengers Saw Something, Said Something
Passenger was briefly detained and released after authorities found no threats
- People are on edge. Flying is still safe and we’re not trying to scare you. But there’s no getting around that there’s been a massive uptick in the number of unruly passenger incidents. Way back in August the FAA released a public service announcement asking people to...
After Plane Lands,
Passenger Exits Onto Wing
Sep 30, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
After Plane Lands, Passenger Exits Onto Wing
Traveler at Miami International went out emergency door, likely faces federal charges
- In today's chronicle of bizarre behavior by airplane passengers , authorities at Miami International Airport say a man exited an emergency door and stood on the wing of his plane after it landed. The incident took place when an American Airlines flight from Colombia landed at the airport Wednesday evening,...
Passengers Kicked Off Flight,
Rest of Plane Celebrates
Sep 20, 2021 4:34 PM CDT
Passengers Kicked Off Flight, Rest of Plane Celebrates
Two people were forced to deplane after refusing to mask up properly
- Masks are required in airports and on commercial airliners. It’s not just a common-sense guideline to curtail the spread of COVID, it’s a federal law . And it’s not new; the rule has been in place since February . But it still seems to come as a surprise to...
Growls at Flight Crew,
Shouts 'Joe Biden'
Sep 7, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Unruly Passenger Growls at Flight Crew, Shouts 'Joe Biden'
He had a 'meltdown of racist, sexist, and belligerent comments'
- A passenger flying from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City was arrested after what a fellow passenger calls a "complete meltdown of racist, sexist, and belligerent comments." Video shared by Dennis Busch shows the American Airlines passenger swearing at flight crew members, growling, and shouting "Joe Biden?...
Flight to Bahamas Nixed
After Teen 'Masked Rebellion'
Jul 7, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Flight to Bahamas Nixed After Teen 'Masked Rebellion'
Dozens of high schoolers believed to be from Mass. wouldn't mask up, witnesses say
- Passengers on an American Airlines flight out of North Carolina found their vacation to the Bahamas disrupted after what the
New York Post
calls a "masked rebellion" by dozens of teens. WSOC reports that Flight 893, headed to Nassau, was prepping to take off from Charlotte Douglas International Airport...
American Canceling Flights,
but Weather Is Only Part of It
Jun 21, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
American Canceling Flights, but Weather Is Only Part of It
Labor shortages also play a role
- With business booming thanks to people eager to travel after more than a year of COVID-19 restrictions, American Airlines is ... cutting flights? Yes, that's right. As the
Wall Street Journal
explains, the more flights an airline offers, the more potential there is for trouble if something goes awry. The...
There's No Point in Reaching
Jun 11, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
There's No Point in Reaching for
Airline says publication was the industry's oldest
- A staple in American Airlines seatbacks since 1966 is no more. The airline has announced it's discontinuing
, which it says is the industry's oldest continuously published magazine. Southwest and Delta dropped their magazines during the pandemic,
reports, but American's kept going, with the...
Yet Another Airline
Pulls Back on the Booze
Jun 3, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Yet Another Airline Pulls Back on the Booze
United joins Southwest, American in limiting or suspending alcohol service over unruly passengers
- A third airline has hopped on the "curtail alcohol" bandwagon after a slew of increasingly aggressive in-flight incidents, many related to unruly passengers balking at having to wear face masks. Airlines in general had suspended serving alcohol during the pandemic to limit passenger-flight attendant interaction and prevent spreading the...
Another Airline Issues
May 30, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Another Airline Issues Booze Ban
American follows suit with Southwest
- Another airline is suspending in-flight alcohol service in the wake of an attack that left a flight attendant with missing teeth. Per CNN , American Airlines has followed suit with Southwest, which delayed their planned return to alcohol service after the flight attendant was "seriously assaulted" by a passenger on...
American Airlines Pilot Sees
'Missile Type of Thing'
in case you missed it
Feb 28, 2021 4:40 PM CST
American Airlines Pilot Sees 'Missile Type of Thing'
But there's no explanation so far for sighting over New Mexico
- Among the things you never want to hear a pilot say to air traffic controllers: "We just had something go right over the top of us. I hate to say this—looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing moving really...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Biden Has 'Impossible Speech' to Give
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.