Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and current events about Florida on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman, Child Killed When
Plane Crashes in Gulf of Mexico
Dec 5, 2022 2:23 AM CST
Woman, Child Killed When Plane Crashes in Gulf of Mexico
Police are searching for 3rd person believed to have been on private plane
- A private airplane crashed into the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast Saturday night, with two people, including a child, confirmed dead as authorities searched for a third person believed to have been on the flight, police said. Authorities in Venice, Florida, initiated a search Sunday after 10am following...
Wedding Guest Sues
Over 'Severe' Marijuana Injury
Nov 30, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Wedding Guest Sues Over 'Severe' Marijuana Injury
Caterer Joycelyn Bryant is accused of conspiring with bride Danya Svoboda to drug the meal
- A wedding guest is seeking more than $30,000 from the event's caterer, accused of secretly drugging the food . Authorities arrested Joycelyn Bryant of Joycelyn's Southern Kitchen, along with the bride who'd hired her, following the Feb. 19 wedding reception in Longwood, Florida, where guests had complained...
'Out of Control'
Nov 30, 2022 12:05 PM CST
'Out of Control' Cop Impersonator Arrested Again
Jeremy Dewitte, nabbed for probation violation, blames YouTube hack for latest woes
- A registered sex offender accused of impersonating police officers at least five times in Florida has been arrested again just three months after his release from state prison. Jeremy Dewitte, arrested for a probation violation on a warrant out of Orange County, is also accused of probation violation and refusing...
Angry Families Object as Judge
Accepts Face-Biting Killer's Plea
Nov 28, 2022 4:28 PM CST
Angry Families Object as Judge Accepts Face-Biting Killer's Plea
Austin Harrouff will be committed to secure mental institution
- A Florida man who stabbed a couple to death six years ago and was found chewing on the man's face was insane at the time, a judge ruled Monday, canceling a trial that was expected to last several weeks. Former Florida State University student Austin Harrouff, 25, was found...
Run Short of Sand
Nov 26, 2022 1:45 PM CST
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Federal legislation would permit importing sand
- Florida beach communities have had to replenish their supplies of sand before, but there's renewed urgency after recent hurricanes. A consultant said Jacksonville's beaches lost about 1.2 million cubic yards of sand to Tropical Storms Ian and Nicole, more than the 2.7 billion pounds brought in...
After 6 Years, Florida
Face-Biter Is Going on Trial
Nov 26, 2022 10:56 AM CST
After 6 Years, Florida Face-Biter Is Going on Trial
Judge will decide whether Austin Harrouff was insane when he killed couple
- A former college student who randomly killed a Florida couple in their garage six years ago and then chewed on one victim's face finally goes on trial Monday, with a judge deciding whether he goes to prison for life or to a mental hospital. Austin Harrouff, 25, has pleaded...
Petito Family Settles
Lawsuit for $3M
Nov 17, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Petito Family Settles Lawsuit for $3M
Negligence case against killer's family is still scheduled for next year
- A judge in Florida on Thursday awarded the family of Gabby Petito $3 million in a wrongful death suit filed against the estate of her killer. The settlement heads off a trial scheduled for next month in the case filed by the slain woman's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole...
At Last, 'What
Sight to See'
Nov 16, 2022 6:07 AM CST
At Last, 'What an Incredible Sight to See'
Artemis rocket holding unmanned Orion spacecraft is finally headed toward moon after series of delays
- With a series of nixed attempts left in its wake, Artemis I is finally on its way to the moon. NASA reports that its powerful Space Launch System (SLS), holding the unmanned Orion spacecraft, blasted off for its flying debut from Florida's Kennedy Space Center at 1:47am Wednesday...
Tom Brady Has a
New Neighbor: His Ex
Nov 11, 2022 8:21 AM CST
Tom Brady Has a New Neighbor: His Ex
Gisele Bundchen reportedly scoops up $11.5M home across creek from Brady in Miami Beach
- Tom Brady has said that his split with Gisele Bundchen has been "a very amicable situation," and his ex's latest home purchase seems to prove that's the case. Page Six reports the supermodel has closed on an $11.5 million five-bedroom, seven-bathroom home in Miami Beach,...
Search for WWII Plane
Turns Up Chunk of
Nov 11, 2022 7:56 AM CST
Search for WWII Plane Turns Up Chunk of Challenger Shuttle
20-foot remnant found by documentary crew off coast of Florida
- It's been more than 35 years since the Challenger space shuttle exploded shortly after takeoff, killing all seven crew members—but a documentary team has just unearthed a big chunk of debris from the doomed spacecraft. In a Thursday release , NASA confirmed the discovery, made in the Atlantic Ocean...
Nicole Moves North After
Toppling Florida Homes
Nov 11, 2022 4:37 AM CST
Nicole Moves North After Toppling Florida Homes
Storm killed at least 2, wrecked dozens of buildings
- Tropical Depression Nicole was moving through Georgia Friday morning after a day of causing havoc as it churned through Florida as a hurricane and then tropical storm. The rare November hurricane could dump as much as 6 inches of rain over the Blue Ridge Mountains, the National Hurricane Center said....
Hurricane Nicole Makes
Landfall in Florida
Nov 10, 2022 4:28 AM CST
Hurricane Nicole Makes Landfall in Florida
Rare November hurricane hits state's east coast
- Hurricane Nicole made landfall early Thursday along the east coast of Florida, just south of Vero Beach. The storm was already battering a large area of the storm-weary state with strong winds, dangerous storm surge, and heavy rain, officials said. The rare November hurricane had already led officials to shut...
Ahead of Hurricane
Nov 9, 2022 7:40 PM CST
Evacuation Orders Ahead of Hurricane Include Mar-a-Lago
Nicole could erode Florida beaches already damaged by Ian
- A Florida-bound storm strengthened into Hurricane Nicole on Wednesday after pounding the Bahamas, as US officials ordered evacuations that included former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club. It's a rare November hurricane for storm-weary Florida, where only two such hurricanes have made landfall since recordkeeping began in 1853—the...
It's No Longer
a Close Call
Nov 9, 2022 2:41 PM CST
It's No Longer a Close Call in Florida
Analysts look behind the embrace of Republicans and ahead to a lengthy GOP reign
- Both parties have gotten used to Florida being just as likely to go with either party, in any election—a state whose presidential race winner and loser have been separated by 0.009% of the vote and whose 2000 race was so close it took more than a month to...
10 Big Firsts That
Emerged From the Midterms
Nov 9, 2022 9:35 AM CST
10 Big Firsts That Emerged From the Midterms
Kathy Hochul is first elected female governor of NY, plus more 'history-makers'
- Congress got its first Gen Z member ever on election night, thanks to a win by 25-year-old Maxwell Frost in Florida's 10th Congressional District. But Frost wasn't the only notable victory. CNN runs down other "history-makers" of the 2022 midterms. Here, 10 standouts:
TSA Calls 'Personal Fowl'
on Unusual Security Find
Nov 9, 2022 8:33 AM CST
TSA Calls 'Personal Fowl' on Unusual Security Find
Firearm discovered shoved inside a raw chicken at Florida's Fort Lauderdale airport
- Security officers at a South Florida airport have reported finding a handgun hidden inside a raw chicken packed in a traveler's luggage. The Transportation Security Administration posted photos of the gun and poultry Monday on its official Instagram account , per the AP . The weapon was recovered at the Fort...
Congress Gets Its
First Gen Z Member
Nov 8, 2022 8:54 PM CST
Congress Gets Its First Gen Z Member
25-year-old Maxwell Frost cruised to victory in Florida
- In Congress, Maxwell Frost is going to be the voice of his generation. The 25-year-old Democrat cruised to victory over 51-year-old Republican Calvin Wimbish in Florida's reliably blue Orlando-area 10th District and will be the first member of Generation Z in Congress, BuzzFeed reports. Frost, who will also be...
Ron DeSantis Easily Wins
Re-Election in Florida
Nov 8, 2022 7:11 PM CST
Ron DeSantis Easily Wins Re-Election in Florida
Governor and possible 2024 presidential nominee defeats Democrat Charlie Crist
- He may well run for president, but first Ron DeSantis had to make sure he didn't lose his governor's seat in Florida. On Tuesday, the Republican did just that by defeating Democrat Charlie Crist. The AP called the race about an hour after polls closed at 7. DeSantis...
Florida Braces for
Another Powerful Storm
Nov 8, 2022 8:16 AM CST
Florida Braces for Another Powerful Storm
Nicole may hit as a hurricane later in the week
- Subtropical Storm Nicole began strengthening and transitioning into a tropical storm early Tuesday as it churned toward Florida's Atlantic coastline, forecasters said. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said the storm's exact path remains uncertain, but it was expected to make landfall along Florida's coast as a...
Suspect on the Lam Turns
Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Nov 5, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Suspect on the Lam Turns Up in 'Happiest Place on Earth'
Quashon Burton, accused of COVID relief fraud, was busted by federal officer in Disney World
- It's being called "the world's most magical arrest," though it probably doesn't feel very magical for the arrestee. Police say a Brooklyn man who's been on the lam for almost a year was taken into custody last month in the so-called happiest place on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.