Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In Australia, a Massive
Whale Tragedy Worsens
Jul 27, 2023 9:23 AM CDT
In Australia, a Massive Whale Tragedy Worsens
All 97 whales from beached pod are dead
- Peter Hartley, a manager at Western Australia's Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions says it was one of the hardest decisions he has made in his 34-year career. The department says 45 long-finned pilot whales, survivors of a pod of 97 that beached themselves, were euthanized Wednesday to avoid...
Cruise Passengers Get a Gory
Welcome to Port: the 'Grind'
Jul 14, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Cruise Passengers Get a Gory Welcome to Port: the 'Grind'
Ship arrived in Faroe Islands as 78 pilot whales were being slaughtered, a centuries-old tradition
- It's not a sight you especially want to see as your cruise ship pulls into port. But as Ambassador Cruise Line's Ambition approached Torshavn, the capital of Denmark's self-governing Faroe Islands, over the weekend, the water was red with blood, leaving passengers horrified. What happened on Sunday,...
Mama Orca Adopted Baby
Pilot Whale, a First
Feb 26, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Mama Orca Adopted Baby Pilot Whale, a First
But the story may not be as cuddly as it appears on the surface
- Researchers studying killer whales near Iceland spotted an unusual thing: An adult female orca was acting like a mother to a baby pilot whale. In fact, "unusual" is an understatement—it's the first such case on record, reports Insider . The young pilot whale was swimming right along side...
At 'Hell's Gate,' Hundreds
of Stranded Whales Languish
Sep 21, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
At 'Hell's Gate,' Hundreds of Stranded Whales Languish
Half the whales beached in Tasmania may still be alive, but rescue is 'complex'
- Almost two years ago to the day, close to 400 whales died after washing up on the shores near Macquarie Heads, Tasmania, in one of the largest strandings ever recorded. Now, deja vu on the Australian island's west coast. Some 230 whales have been beached near the town of...
At Infamous 'Death Trap for
Whales,' a Sad New Find
Mar 18, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
At Infamous 'Death Trap for Whales,' a Sad New Find
34 long-finned pilot whales found beached in mass stranding at New Zealand's Farewell Spit
- Farewell Spit, a perhaps aptly named 16-mile stretch of sand on the remote northern end of New Zealand's South Island, is making headlines for sad news that's become commonplace there. The island nation's Department of Conservation reported on Friday that 34 long-finned pilot whales have been found...
Dec 7, 2020 10:50 AM CST
Clever Pilot Whales Fool Their Rivals
Study suggests they mimic killer whales
- Pilot whales in southern Australia appear to have developed a nifty technique for fooling rival killer whales—they pretend they're killer whales themselves. Researchers studied the calls of long-finned pilot whales in the region and found that the creatures mimic their larger rivals, reports ScienceDaily . In their study at...
380 Whales Dead in One
of World's Worst Strandings
Sep 23, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
380 Whales Dead in One of World's Worst Strandings
50 were saved in Tasmania; hope remains for 30 more
- There's more bad news from Tasmania, Australia, where 380 whales have now died in one of the largest strandings ever recorded, reports the BBC . Hundreds of long-finned pilot whales have been found stranded on sand bars in a few areas off the island's west coast since Monday. An...
Rescuers Rush to Save
Hundreds of Stranded Whales
Sep 22, 2020 5:44 AM CDT
Rescuers Rush to Save Hundreds of Stranded Whales
90 have already died off southern Australia
- At least 90 pilot whales have died in a mass stranding off of Australia, and crews are racing to save another 180 from the same fate. The whales were found Monday at three sites off the west coast of the island state of Tasmania, which also saw the stranding of...
Dozens of Stranded Whales,
a 'Heartbreaking Decision'
Nov 26, 2018 8:21 AM CST
Dozens of Stranded Whales, a 'Heartbreaking Decision'
More than 140 pilot whales die after being stranded on New Zealand's Stewart Island
- A hiker on a New Zealand island stumbled upon a distressing sight this weekend: dozens of pilot whales, dead on the beach after getting stranded there. Per the
, the nation's Department of Conservation fielded a call Saturday from the hiker, who'd been camping on secluded Stewart Island,...
May 30, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
Little Mermaid Statue Doused With Paint ... Again
It appears to be a protest against hunting whales
- Danish officials on Tuesday hosed down Copenhagen's famed Little Mermaid after the statue was found doused with red paint, the AP reports. On the ground in front of the statue was written in red, in English, "Denmark defend the whales of the [Faeroe] Islands"—likely a reference...
Amid Wave of
Feb 12, 2017 10:11 AM CST
Amid Wave of Beached Whales, Finally Some Good News
More than 200 animals refloat themselves amid mass strandings on New Zealand
- Whale lovers in New Zealand finally got some good news on Sunday after more than 200 stranded whales managed to refloat themselves overnight and swim away, while volunteers managed to save another 17 whales at high tide, reports the AP . More than 650 pilot whales had beached themselves along Farewell...
After Whales Refloated,
a Devastating Setback
Feb 11, 2017 6:32 AM CST
After Whales Refloated, a Devastating Setback
240 whales from new pod now stranded on NZ beach
- A new pod of 240 whales swam aground at a remote New Zealand beach on Saturday just hours after weary volunteers managed to refloat a different group of whales following an earlier mass stranding . In total, more than 650 pilot whales have beached themselves along a 3-mile stretch of coastline...
Scene on Remote Beach
Feb 10, 2017 12:28 AM CST
'Utterly Heartbreaking' Scene on Remote Beach
400 whales stranded; New Zealanders scramble to rescue survivors
- Volunteers are scrambling to rescue scores of whales after one of the worst strandings in New Zealand's history. About 275 of the pilot whales were already dead when magazine writer Cheree Morrison and two colleagues found them early Friday on Farewell Spit, a remote beach at the tip of...
Bubbles the Pilot
Whale Dies After
30 Years at SeaWorld
Jun 11, 2016 2:55 PM CDT
Bubbles the Pilot Whale Dies After 30 Years at SeaWorld
She was in her mid-50s and had spent nearly her entire life in captivity
- Bubbles, a short-finned pilot whale that lived at SeaWorld San Diego for nearly 30 years, has died, the AP reports. Bubbles was in her mid-50s when she died Thursday. A necropsy will be performed to determine the cause of her death. Female pilot whales generally live to be about 60...
on NZ Beach
Feb 13, 2015 12:15 AM CST
200 Whales Stranded on NZ Beach
Dozens already dead at notorious beaching spot
- Nearly 200 pilot whales stranded themselves on New Zealand's South Island today, with hordes of rescuers rushing to the remote area in a bid to guide them back to sea. Two dozen of the 198 whales have already died despite efforts to save the creatures, which were found stranded...
More Whales Found
Dead in Florida
Dec 9, 2013 2:15 AM CST
More Whales Found Dead in Florida
Outlook bleak for stranding survivors
- Sad news on the pilot whales stranded in the Everglades: Eleven more whales from the pod stranded in shallow water have been found dead and rescuers don't believe there's much hope of finding the other 29 alive, reports CNN . The group was last seen alive Friday, when it...
Fla. Officials Save
5 Baby Whales
as 22 Beach
Sep 2, 2012 6:25 AM CDT
Fla. Officials Save 5 Baby Whales as 22 Beach
Baby whales taken to nearby ocean institute, but outcome still in doubt
- Rescuers are trying to keep alive five baby whales, from a pod of 22 pilot whales that beached early yesterday near Fort Pierce, Fla., reports the
. An animal-rescue team from SeaWorld Orlando transported the survivors to a nearby oceanographic institute, while officials test the deceased whales to see why...
NZ Shoots 33 Whales
It Couldn't Rescue
Jan 26, 2012 2:00 AM CST
NZ Shoots 33 Whales It Couldn't Rescue
After 2 rescue attempts, officials say nothing more to do for restranded whales
- The 33 pilot whales that beached themselves again on the New Zealand coast today have been shot, the AP reports, after conservation officials decided there was nothing more they could do for the creatures. About 99 whales were stranded Monday on a South Island spit notorious for whale beachings. Volunteers...
Nov 15, 2011 6:35 PM CST
Surgeon Makes Back Brace... for Whale
Rescued SeaWorld pilot whale has scoliosis
- A whale nicknamed “300” beached herself in the Florida Keys this spring—but her troubles didn't end there. The pilot whale, transported to SeaWorld for care, developed curvature of the spine, which prevented her from using her tail correctly. Fortunately, an orthopedic surgeon and a prosthetics expert came...
Feb 21, 2011 2:39 PM CST
New Zealand Euthanizes 48 Beached Whales
Conditions had left little hope for the creatures
- Faced with a pod of 107 beached pilot whales, half of them dead, and no help in sight, New Zealand conservation authorities were forced to euthanize 48 of the creatures, reports the New Zealand
The whales had beached themselves high up on the beach yesterday with the tide on...
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.