Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Candidate Just Found
Out Why Every Vote Counts
Dec 5, 2023 10:25 AM CST
This Candidate Just Found Out Why Every Vote Counts
Damion Green didn't cast ballot for himself in bid for City Council, ended up losing by one vote
- We've all heard since we were old enough to vote that "every vote counts," and it's a mantra that Damion Green won't soon forget. The 40-year-old auto body shop worker ran for City Council in his hometown of Rainier, Washington, in November, but when it...
Job Hunting? Here's the
Best Place in America for It
Nov 29, 2023 6:15 PM CST
Job Hunting? Here's the Best Place in America for It
Washington state ranks No. 1 in WalletHub's ranking of the best states for employment
- It can be grueling pounding the pavement in search of a new job, what with all of the resume prep, job board scouring, and interview processes. WalletHub wanted to see which parts of America were more job-hunter friendly, so it looked at nearly three dozen metrics in all 50 states,...
Grizzlies May Thrive at
National Park Once Again
Nov 12, 2023 1:25 PM CST
Grizzlies May Thrive at National Park Once Again
But some groups oppose plans to repopulate the North Cascades
- Washington state's North Cascades National Park was once home to grizzly bears, until hunting them for hides wiped out the entire population. Federal agencies have now drafted a plan to reintroduce them to that land, according to the
, but not everyone is happy about it. The plan...
After 3 Decades,
a Big Move
Nov 3, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
After 3 Decades, a Big Move for Bezos
Amazon founder is pulling up stakes and relocating from Seattle, where he's lived since 1994, to Miami
- Hear "Miami," and thoughts of palm trees, Cuban food, and art deco architecture all come to mind. Now, add Jeff Bezos to that list: The Amazon founder announced this week that he's moving to the South Florida city and ditching Seattle after almost 30 years, reports the...
When Seattle Phones Ping,
It's a Sign Whales Are Near
Nov 2, 2023 2:34 PM CDT
When Seattle Phones Ping, It's a Sign Whales Are Near
The AP looks at a popular WhatsApp chat group that alerts members to sightings
- Peter Bates was dropping his car at the mechanic this month when a notification pinged on his phone: Killer whales were approaching his Seattle neighborhood. He hopped on a bus toward the water, then an electric bike. He was pedaling along a shoreline trail when orcas' black fins and white...
US Lawmaker Gets Good News
After Hong Kong Gun Arrest
Oct 30, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
US Lawmaker Gets Good News After Hong Kong Gun Arrest
Case against Washington state's Jeff Wilson dismissed
- A Hong Kong court dismissed a gun charge Monday against a Washington state senator who had been arrested after he carried a gun into the Chinese territory in what he called an "honest mistake." Principal Magistrate Don So approved the arrangement for a bind-over order rather than a...
The Coast Guard Called Off Its
Search. Then, a Lone Life Raft
Oct 28, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
The Coast Guard Called Off Its Search. Then, a Lone Life Raft
Sailor who went missing 2 weeks ago found alive in life raft off coast of Washington state
- On Oct. 12, two fishermen set out from Washington state's Grays Harbor in a 43-foot vessel called Evening, set to return three days later. They never came back, however, and were missing for two weeks—until Thursday, when one of the men, floating in a life raft, was rescued...
Cops: Burglars at Car Dealer
Wore Some Interesting Outfits
Oct 27, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
Cops: Burglars at Car Dealer Wore Some Interesting Outfits
One was said to be in a 'pimp coat,' the other in a cowboy hat during Spokane break-in
- Two suspects have been arrested and police are seeking a third after a car dealership in Spokane, Washington, reported an ambitious break-in earlier this week. Workers at Northtown Auto Sales arrived to work on Tuesday morning to find eight vehicles missing "and a rope hanging down from a giant...
Fertility Doc Inseminated Me
With His Own Sperm: Suit
Oct 27, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
Fertility Doc Inseminated Me With His Own Sperm: Suit
Dr. David Claypool of Spokane, Washington, accused of passing off his sperm as that of donor
- An Idaho woman is suing her one-time fertility doctor, saying he secretly used his own sperm to inseminate her 34 years ago—the latest in a string of such cases brought as at-home DNA sampling enables people to learn more about their ancestry, per the AP . Sharon Hayes, 67, of...
Woman Swept Into
Ocean From Popular
Sep 26, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Woman Swept Into Ocean From Popular Washington Beach
Coast Guard is searching for 26-year-old
- Teams are searching for a 26-year-old woman who was swept into the ocean Monday from a popular beach on the Washington coast, according to the US Coast Guard. The Coast Guard said it received a call at 10:50am about a woman who was reportedly taken by ocean currents while...
Young Professionals, Check
Out the Work Climate Here
Sep 18, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Young Professionals, Check Out the Work Climate Here
New England dominates Scholaroo's best states for workers trying to establish their careers
- If you've just graduated or are graduating soon and are looking for a place to jump-start your career, some states offer more in the way of job markets and affordable living. Scholaroo attempts to flesh out which US states are the best for today's young professionals, using nearly...
Driver Allegedly Shot Man as
He Helped Deer Cross Road
in case you missed it
Sep 17, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Driver Allegedly Shot Man as He Helped Deer Cross Road
Suspect allegedly told police he shot because he was scared of man, woman in street
- As a man stood in his driveway with his wife, attempting to alert passing cars to deer that were crossing the road so that drivers would slow down, one of those drivers fatally shot him, police say. Dylan Picard, 22, was arrested September 8, the day after the incident that...
Man Sues Hospital
Over His Lost Tumor
Sep 12, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Man Sues Hospital Over His Lost Tumor
Sample was supposed to be analyzed for cancer but was misplaced, per Seattle man's complaint
- After Jeremy Morton-Maxson had a tumor on his bladder removed at the University of Washington Medical Center-Northwest on Aug. 17, 2022, just two days after it was discovered, he felt a sense of urgency in finding out if it was cancerous, due to a family history of bladder cancer. After...
Coach Fired Over
Sep 6, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Coach Fired Over Praying Quits After Winning Job Back
Joe Kennedy was on the field again for one game
- One game into his return to the football coaching staff at Washington's Bremerton High School, Joe Kennedy has resigned from the job the US Supreme Court allowed him to keep. "It is apparent that the reinstatement ordered by the Supreme Court will not be fully followed after a...
Winds Push Destructive Fire
Through Washington State
Aug 20, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
Winds Push Destructive Fire Through Washington State
One person is reported killed, 185 structures destroyed
- A wind-driven wildfire in eastern Washington state has destroyed at least 185 structures, closed a major highway, and left one person dead, authorities said Saturday. The blaze began shortly after midday Friday on the west side of Medical Lake, about 15 miles west of Spokane, and then expanded, state Department...
Having a Baby
Aug 7, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Having a Baby Soon? One State Outranks the Others
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list, while Mississippi comes in last
- If your future plans include starting a family and you're open to a move (or wondering whether your current location is ideal), WalletHub has some insights. The site looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, not only on the issue of costs tied to having a...
Mountain Lion Attacks
Child, 8, Camping
in Washington State
Jul 31, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Mountain Lion Attacks Child, 8, Camping in Washington State
Authorities say such an attack is 'very, very unusual'
- An 8-year-old camping with their mom at Lake Angeles in Washington state was attacked by a mountain lion in what officials are calling an "extraordinarily rare" incident Saturday. The pair was camping in the Heart O' the Hills area south of Port Angeles in Olympic National Park when the...
Taylor Swift's Concerts
Have Literally Gone Seismic
Jul 28, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Taylor Swift's Concerts Have Literally Gone Seismic
Activity from Seattle concerts had 2.3 magnitude, beating out 2011 'Beast Quake' at Seahawks game
- When commentators say Taylor Swift's concerts are "seismic," they're not simply using a colorful descriptor—they're detailing what appears to be an actual physical manifestation of Swifties' rabid fandom. As part of her Eras Tour, the 33-year-old performer took to the stage at Seattle's...
California Was Just Booted as
State With Most Expensive Gas
Jun 22, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
California Was Just Booted as State With Most Expensive Gas
The price per gallon in Washington now averages nearly $4.95
- There's a new "winner" in the contest of who has the highest gas prices in America, displacing California for the dubious honor: Washington state, where the average price per gallon of regular gas as of AAA's Thursday morning report was just a tad under $4.95. That'...
Gunman Fires Into Crowd
Near Music Festival, Kills 2
Jun 18, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Gunman Fires Into Crowd Near Music Festival, Kills 2
Suspect shot randomly into campground, officials say
- A gunman fired randomly Saturday night into a Washington state campground crowd during a music festival going on nearby, police said, killing two people and wounding two others. Grant County sheriff's officials said the suspect fired while walking through the campground around 8:30pm, CNN reports. Thousands of people...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.