Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Cybersecurity Issue' Hits
MGM Resorts' Hotels, Casinos
Sep 12, 2023 2:36 PM CDT
'Cybersecurity Issue' Hits MGM Resorts' Hotels, Casinos
Company's main website is down in 'ongoing' event
- A "cybersecurity issue" led to the shutdown of some casino and hotel computer systems at MGM Resorts International properties across the US, a company official reported Monday. The incident began Sunday. The extent of its effect was not immediately known on reservation systems and casino floors in Las Vegas...
'Typo Leak' Could Be
Big Problem for US Military
Jul 17, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
'Typo Leak' Could Be Big Problem for US Military
Messages supposed go to military email addresses are being sent to Mali
- A Dutch internet entrepreneur says he has repeatedly warned the US government over the last decade that emails intended for the American military are being sent to Mali because of a common typo. Johannes Zuurbier tells the
that instead of the suffix .mil used for American military email...
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
FBI: Free Public
Stations Are Dangerous
in case you missed it
Apr 15, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
FBI: Free Public Phone-Charging Stations Are Dangerous
Malware could be introduced onto your device, bureau warns
- Desperate for some juice for your phone while traveling? Don't resort to using a free public phone-charging station, the FBI warns. "Avoid using free charging stations in airports, hotels or shopping centers," the FBI's Denver office tweets . "Bad actors have figured out ways to use...
TikTok Gets Smacked
Down by Multiple States
Dec 7, 2022 9:20 AM CST
TikTok Gets Smacked Down by Multiple States
Maryland, South Dakota, South Carolina cite cybersecurity risks in ban on government devices
- Maryland is banning the use of TikTok and certain China- and Russia-based platforms in the state's executive branch of government, Gov. Larry Hogan said Tuesday, citing an unacceptable cybersecurity risk to the state. The Republican governor announced an emergency cybersecurity directive to prohibit the use of the platforms, saying...
National Guard to Help States
With Election Cybersecurity
Nov 5, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
National Guard to Help States With Election Cybersecurity
Units are being deployed in 14 states
- National Guard personnel are being deployed to states to protect the midterm elections from cybersecurity threats. The experts will help in 14 states, Politico reports, starting before Election Day and continuing through the aftermath. The commander of the Washington state Air National Guard said calling on a "military-grade helper"...
Uber Hacker Gained
Sep 17, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Uber Hacker Gained Admin Access
Experts lament Uber failures that allowed breach
- The ride-hailing service Uber said Friday that all its services were operational following what security professionals are calling a major data breach, claiming there was no evidence the hacker got access to sensitive user data. But the breach, apparently by a lone hacker, put the spotlight on an increasingly effective...
It's a Modern, Disturbing
Twist on Human Trafficking
Sep 13, 2022 11:07 AM CDT
It's a Modern, Disturbing Twist on Human Trafficking
ProPublica explains how people are forced to work as cyberscammers
- When the subject of human trafficking is raised, it's common to think of people forced into sex work or perhaps grueling manual labor. But a story at ProPublica digs into human trafficking with a more modern bent—people forced to work as cyberscammers. In this case, the focus is...
Warning Puts a Damper on
Lawmakers' Use of TikTok
Aug 11, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Warning Puts a Damper on Lawmakers' Use of TikTok
Memo from chamber's Chief Administrative Office warns against app due to privacy, security concerns
- Even members of the US House of Representatives and their staff like to catch the latest viral dance video on TikTok, but a new warning from the chamber's Chief Administrative Office may have them rethinking using the popular social-media app. "We do not recommend the download or use...
Digital 'Swarm' Fights
Russian Sites Online
Mar 5, 2022 3:45 PM CST
Digital 'Swarm' Fights Russian Sites Online
One Ukrainian site lets mothers search photos for sons among captured Russian troops
- Formed in a fury to counter Russia's blitzkrieg attack, Ukraine's hundreds-strong volunteer "hacker" corps is more than a paramilitary cyberattack force in Europe's first major war of the internet age. It is crucial to information combat and to crowdsourcing intelligence. "We are really a swarm....
FBI Has Ominous
Advice for Olympians
Feb 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
FBI Has Ominous Advice for Olympians
Bureau tells athletes to use burner phones, warns of 'malicious cyber activities' in China
- The FBI is urging Olympic athletes to use burner phones while in China over fears that they might otherwise be tracked. "The FBI urges all athletes to keep their personal cell phones at home and use a temporary phone while at the Games," the agency says. It adds...
Tech Teams Rush to Plug
Software Hole Before Attacks
Dec 20, 2021 4:26 PM CST
Tech Teams Rush to Plug Software Hole Before Attacks
Hackers can use flaw to take over servers
- Criminal hackers and security experts are locked in a race over the vulnerability in Log4j software . Patches are being released, but the danger from the vulnerability has not yet passed, the
reports. When the number of sites, services, and devices at risk are added up, experts say, this...
US Warns Software Flaw Puts
Millions of Devices at Risk
Dec 15, 2021 7:15 PM CST
US Warns Software Flaw Puts Millions of Devices at Risk
Companies need to clean up their code quickly, analysts say
- US cybersecurity officials have warned companies of a software vulnerability that could put millions of electronic devices at risk from hackers. The warning was delivered to executives Monday in a phone call involving officials of the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, CNN reports. "We expect the vulnerability to...
Staff's Initial Glee on Bonuses
Email Soon Turns to Ire
May 11, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
Staff's Initial Glee on Bonuses Email Soon Turns to Ire
Train company slammed for sending 'phishing simulation test' under guise of extra payment
- After working through the pandemic, employees of a UK railway company were excited to see an email in their inboxes indicating gratitude from management. Per CNBC , the message from higher-ups at West Midlands Trains indicated to 2,500 staff members they'd soon be receiving a bonus. "We realize...
Hacker Tried to
Flood Fla. City's
Water Supply With Lye
Feb 9, 2021 1:51 AM CST
Hacker Tried to Flood Fla. City's Water Supply With Lye
Officials are investigating scary incident in Oldsmar
- Thousands of people in a Florida city could have been poisoned had a hacker's plan come to pass. Authorities say the as-yet-unknown person hacked into Oldsmar's water treatment system Friday and tried to increase the levels of sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, to more than 100 times...
Biden's Peloton May Cause
Jan 22, 2021 9:31 AM CST
Biden's Peloton May Cause 'Unexpected Headache'
High-tech bike hooked up to internet could cause cybersecurity risk in the White House
- There's nothing wrong with a president who takes care of himself, but how Joe Biden stays fit could lead to what the
calls an "unexpected headache." It's been reported that, before he became commander in chief, the 78-year-old kicked off each day in Wilmington, Del....
Cybersecurity Firm Reveals
Dec 9, 2020 12:33 AM CST
Cybersecurity Firm Reveals Massive Cyberattack
FireEye was hacked by nation state
- Prominent US cybersecurity firm FireEye said Tuesday that foreign government hackers with “world-class capabilities” broke into its network and stole offensive tools it uses to probe the defenses of its thousands of customers, who include federal, state, and local governments and top global corporations. The hackers “primarily sought...
'Taken Out at
Dawn and Shot'
Dec 1, 2020 6:52 AM CST
Trump Lawyer Wants Krebs 'Taken Out at Dawn and Shot'
Remarks calling for Chris Krebs to be 'shot' made Monday by Trump campaign lawyer Joe diGenova
- A Trump campaign lawyer made plain on
The Howie Carr Show
on Monday that he's not a fan of Chris Krebs, the cybersecurity chief fired by President Trump last month after vouching for the security of the 2020 election. Joe diGenova promoted unproven conspiracy theories regarding the election, but...
Want to Make
a Hacker's Day?
Use One of These
in case you missed it
Nov 22, 2020 6:43 AM CST
Want to Make a Hacker's Day? Use One of These Passwords
NordPass has released its worst candidates for 2020
- We get how brain-melting it can be to remember all of your various passwords—really, we honestly, truly get it. But you've got to try harder than the people whose passwords popped up on NordPass' 2020 ranking of the 200 most common passwords, which, as Suzanne Humphries succinctly puts...
Trump Fires Agency Head
Who Vouched for Vote Security
Nov 17, 2020 7:41 PM CST
Trump Fires Agency Head Who Vouched for Vote Security
President says statement defending election's integrity was 'highly inaccurate'
- President Trump has fired the director of the federal agency that vouched for the reliability of the 2020 election. Trump fired Christopher Krebs in a tweet , saying his recent statement defending the security of the election was "highly inaccurate." The firing of Krebs, a Trump appointee and director...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.