Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Scathing Report Details
Atrocities in Venezuela
Sep 16, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Scathing Report Details Atrocities in Venezuela
Experts allege crimes against humanity have been committed there since 2014
- Independent experts commissioned by the UN’s top human-rights body have alleged the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has committed crimes against humanity since 2014. The experts issued a scathing, in-depth report on Wednesday that said the people responsible for crimes that include extrajudicial executions, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detentions,...
Get 20 Years in Prison
Aug 8, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Ex-Green Berets Get 20 Years in Prison
Luke Denman and Airan Berry allegedly tried to help overthrow a president
- A Venezuelan court has sentenced two former US special forces soldiers to 20 years in prison for their part in a blunder-filled beach attack aimed at overthrowing President Nicolás Maduro, the AP reports. Lawyers for the former Green Berets, Luke Denman and Airan Berry, said they were barred from...
Another World Leader
Has the Virus
Jul 10, 2020 12:31 AM CDT
Another World Leader Has the Virus
Bolivia’s interim president tests positive for COVID-19
- Bolivia’s interim president, Jeanine Áñez, has tested positive for COVID-19. "I feel good, I feel strong, I will continue to work virtually from my isolation," she says in a video posted to her Twitter account, per NPR . Three cabinet ministers in her administration have also...
5 Iranian Oil Tankers
Head for Venezuela
May 17, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
5 Iranian Oil Tankers Head for Venezuela
A Trump official had warned Iran against the move
- Five Iranian tankers likely carrying at least $45.5 million worth of gasoline and similar products are now sailing to Venezuela amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington, the AP reports. The tankers' voyage come after Venezuela's socialist leader Nicolás Maduro turned to Iran for help in flying...
I Launched Failed
May 4, 2020 12:52 AM CDT
Ex-Green Beret: I Launched Failed Amphibious Raid
Jordan Goudreau’s comments cap a bizarre Sunday
- A former Green Beret has taken responsibility for what he claimed was a failed attack Sunday aimed at overthrowing Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and that the socialist government said ended with eight dead, the AP reports. Jordan Goudreau’s comments in an interview with an exiled Venezuelan journalist capped...
Venezuela Says It Fought Off
Terrorist Invasion by Boat
May 3, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Venezuela Says It Fought Off Terrorist Invasion by Boat
'Mercenary terrorists' were killed or arrested, officials say
- Venezuelan officials said they foiled an early-morning attempt by a group of armed men to invade the country by boat on Sunday, killing eight attackers and arresting two more. Socialist party chief Diosdado Cabello said on state television that two of the attackers were being interrogated by authorities, the AP...
Dozens Dead, Warden
Injured in Prison Riot
May 2, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Dozens Dead, Warden Injured in Prison Riot
The upheaval at the Llanos Penitentiary Center in Venezuela included a grenade blast
- A riot erupted at a prison in central Venezuela on Friday, killing at least 40 people and injuring 50 more, including a National Guard officer who was wounded by an explosion and the warden, who suffered a knife wound, authorities said. The upheaval at the Llanos Penitentiary Center started with...
Trump: New Naval
Operation Is Afoot
Apr 1, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Trump: New Naval Operation Is Afoot
The White House announces that Navy ships are moving toward Venezuela
- President Trump announced Wednesday that Navy ships are being moved toward Venezuela as his administration beefs up counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean following a US drug indictment against Nicolás Maduro, the AP reports. The president's announcement was a break from the daily White House press briefing to discuss...
US Just Indicted
a Foreign President
Mar 26, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
US Just Indicted a Foreign President
Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro accused of flooding US with cocaine
- US prosecutors have indicted Venezuela's president and other senior government officials on charges of drug trafficking, claiming a "narco-terrorism conspiracy." The unusual move against Nicolas Maduro, the Venezuelan government, intelligence officials, and members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia stems from a federal investigation in Washington,...
'Bizarre' Ask of
Mar 5, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Maduro Makes 'Bizarre' Ask of Venezuela's Women
Venezuelan president wants female citizens to have lots of babies 'for the good of the country'
- The Venezuelan president hasn't said much about his supposed new health-care plan for women—some aren't even sure if there even is an actual plan, notes the
—but the instructions Nicolas Maduro offered on Tuesday to female citizens generated instant backlash. "Give birth!" Maduro...
After White House Meeting,
Oil Execs Put in Caracas Prison
Feb 7, 2020 9:46 AM CST
After White House Meeting, Oil Execs Put in Caracas Prison
Top US envoy to Venezuela calls timing of move 'suspicious'
- The situation has apparently worsened for six executives from Houston-based and Venezuela-owned Citgo who have been detained without trial in Venezuela since November 2017. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Elliott Abrams, the top US envoy to the country, on Thursday said the men had been abruptly taken once more to...
Gets Into Shoving Match
Jan 5, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Venezuelan Leader Gets Into Shoving Match
Juan Guaidó is stopped from entering congress, tries to climb the fence
- Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó was violently blocked Sunday from presiding over a special session of congress where rivals tried to install a substitute in what was condemned as a hijacking of the country's last democratic institution, the AP reports. As a scuffle broke out with security forces in...
Report: Giuliani Involved in
'Back-Channel' Venezuela Talks
Dec 30, 2019 4:46 AM CST
Report: Giuliani Involved in 'Back-Channel' Venezuela Talks
Sources say White House officials were surprised
- Ukraine wasn't the only country where Rudy Giuliani was involved in a shadow foreign policy, according to the
. Sources tell the newspaper that President Trump's attorney was involved in back-channel negotiations to negotiate an exit for Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro as the country's crisis...
US Bars All Flights Into Cuba,
With One Exception
Oct 26, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
US Bars All Flights Into Cuba, With One Exception
Planes from United States can only go into Havana in new travel ban
- If you'd planned to travel to Cuba, you still can—but only one of the country's 10 main airports will be open starting next month. Per CBS News , at the direction of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the US has banned all flights to the island nation, save...
2 Nations Warn Citizens
About Traveling to the US
Aug 6, 2019 1:17 PM CDT
2 Nations Warn Citizens About Traveling to the US
Uruguay, Venezuela cite violence, hate crimes
- Two countries are urging citizens to use extreme caution when visiting the US, citing a rise in hate crimes. Travelers to the US should "take precautions against growing indiscriminate violence, mostly for hate crimes, including racism and discrimination, which cost the lives of more than 250 people in the...
A 'Dramatic Escalation'
in US-Venezuela Tension
Aug 6, 2019 1:40 AM CDT
A 'Dramatic Escalation' in US-Venezuela Tension
Trump administration freezes Venezuelan government assets
- The Trump administration froze all Venezuelan government assets Monday in a dramatic escalation of tensions with Nicolás Maduro that places his socialist administration alongside a short list of adversaries from Cuba, North Korea, Syria, and Iran that have been targeted by aggressive US actions. The ban blocking American companies...
for Massive Blackout
Jul 23, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Venezuela Blames 'Electromagnetic Attack' for Massive Blackout
Maduro's opponents say corruption is the real culprit
- The lights went out across much of Venezuela on Monday, reviving fears of the blackouts that plunged the country into chaos a few months ago as the government once again accused opponents of sabotaging the nation's hydroelectric power system. The power in the capital went out after 4pm and...
Shadowed' US Aircraft
Jul 22, 2019 5:33 AM CDT
Pentagon: Venezuela Jet 'Aggressively Shadowed' US Aircraft
Caracas claims it was in its airspace
- While much of Venezuela is in a state of near-collapse, its air force is still flying—and behaving aggressively, according to the US military. US Southern Command shared video Sunday of what it said was a Venezuelan SU-30 Flanker fighter jet that "aggressively shadowed" an American reconnaissance aircraft in...
20% of Asylum Seekers
Come From a Single Country
Jun 20, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
20% of Asylum Seekers Come From a Single Country
UN calls economic crisis there a 'war of survival'
- When Johan Álvarez was unable to provide more than one meal a day for his young family he knew it was time to leave Venezuela. With his wife and infant son, the 25-year-old embarked on a lengthy journey by bus through three nations to reach Peru earlier this year....
Air Traffic Between
US, Venezuela Suspended
May 15, 2019 5:15 PM CDT
Air Traffic Between US, Venezuela Suspended
US cites the continuing unrest in the country
- The United States on Wednesday suspended all commercial passenger and cargo flights between the US and Venezuela, saying the political unrest and tensions there pose a risk to flights, the AP reports. The announcement by the Department of Homeland Security affected a dwindling number of flights between the two countries,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.