Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suspect in Custody
After 'Active Shooter
Situation' at Hospital
Sep 28, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
Suspect in Custody After 'Active Shooter Situation' at Hospital
At least one person was killed at Little Rock-area facility
- Police in Arkansas say a suspect is in custody and at least one person is dead after reports of an "active shooter situation" at a Little Rock-area hospital. Authorities say officers secured the CHI St. Vincent North hospital in Sherwood after a lockdown Wednesday morning, the
Hundreds of Suits Blame
Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Jul 30, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Hundreds of Suits Blame Injuries on Impaired Surgeon
Patients say Florida hospital ignored their complaints
- Lucinda Bonk went into surgery in September 2018 optimistic about receiving a new hip. But the procedure took longer than expected; Dr. Richard David Heekin had somehow severely fractured Bonk's thigh bone during the operation, a lawsuit says. He tried to repair it while in surgery, but the 70-year-old...
Mom of Hospital Escapee:
'Terrified for the Community'
Jun 30, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Texas man found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing his dad escapes from North Texas hospital
- A Texas man acquitted eight years ago of murdering his father by reason of insanity has fled the hospital where he was being held, and his mom says she's "terrified" for him, their family, and the community at large. "I never, ever imagined that he would ever...
A Boston Hospital Discarded
Their Baby's Remains
Jun 26, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
A Boston Hospital Discarded Their Baby's Remains
Alana Ross and Daniel McCarthy are suing Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- A couple on Thursday sued Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and as the
New York Times
reports, they aren't after a specific amount of money, but rather want to make sure no one else experiences what they have: their child's body being discarded. Everleigh Victoria McCarthy...
Hospital Shooter Was
Strapped to a Gurney
Jun 15, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Hospital Shooter Was Strapped to a Gurney
She was rapidly disarmed by quick-thinking EMT
- An active shooter strapped to a gurney in a Houston-area hospital could have killed people if she hadn't been disarmed by an EMT, police say. KHOU 11 reports that the woman, who had been taken to the HCA Conroe Hospital Emergency Room for a mental health evaluation, had her...
Doctor, 2 Nurses
Stabbed at LA Hospital
Jun 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Doctor, 2 Nurses Stabbed at LA Hospital
Suspect taken into custody after attack at Encino Hospital Medical Center; victims hospitalized
- Chaos unfolded at a Los Angeles hospital Friday after police say a man walked in and stabbed a doctor and two nurses. Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton of the LAPD tells KTLA that the suspect entered Encino Hospital Medical Center shortly before 4pm local time to "seek treatment" after a...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
Hospital Boosts Security
After Bizarre NICU Incident
Jan 26, 2022 2:13 PM CST
Hospital Boosts Security After Bizarre NICU Incident
Man slipped into unit, fed somebody else's baby at Des Moines hospital
- A hospital in Iowa says it has tightened its security procedures after a strange and disturbing incident last month. Police in Des Moines say a man slipped into the neonatal intensive care unit at the MercyOne medical center and bottle-fed somebody else's baby, KCCI reports. The suspect, who was...
Hospital Bills Woman
$700 for 7-Hour ER Wait
in case you missed it
Nov 6, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Hospital Bills Woman $700 for 7-Hour ER Wait
Georgia woman Taylor Davis left without being seen
- For $100 an hour, Georgia woman Taylor Davis could have visited an upscale spa. Instead, that was how much she was charged for sitting in an emergency room, waiting to be seen. Davis tells Fox 5 that she went to the ER at Emory Decatur Hospital in July with a...
Nurse Who Killed 4 Patients
Sentenced to Death
Oct 27, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Nurse Who Killed 4 Patients Sentenced to Death
William George Davis injected Texas patients with air after heart surgeries
: A jury sentenced a former Texas nurse to death Wednesday for killing four patients by injecting air into their arteries after heart surgery at a Tyler hospital. The Smith County jury deliberated about two hours before condemning 37-year-old William George Davis to death, the AP reports. During the trial'...
Baby Girls Were
Switched in 2002
Sep 7, 2021 5:59 PM CDT
Hospitals Discovers Baby Girls Were Switched in 2002
'It was a human error and we haven’t been able to find out who was to blame'
- Health authorities in Spain are blaming human error for the switching of two baby girls in a maternity ward almost 20 years ago, after one of them discovered by chance through a DNA test as a teenager that she wasn’t the daughter of her presumed parents. "It was...
2 US Cities
Jul 23, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Superbug Fungus Spreading in 2 US Cities
CDC says drug-resistant 'Candida auris' is moving from person to person in Dallas and DC
- US health officials said Thursday they now have evidence of an untreatable fungus spreading in two hospitals and a nursing home, per the AP . The "superbug" outbreaks were reported in a Washington, DC, nursing home and at two Dallas-area hospitals, the CDC reported. A handful of the patients had...
Cops: Gang Charged $21K for
Bed in Hospital's COVID Unit
Jul 22, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Cops: Gang Charged $21K for Bed in Hospital's COVID Unit
Administrators of public hospital in Peru among 9 'Black Angels' arrested
- Authorities in Peru say they have busted a gang that charged the desperate relatives of COVID patients vast amounts of money for beds in the intensive care unit in a public hospital. Prosecutor Reynaldo Abia says nine people arrested Wednesday include administrators of Lima's Guillermo Almenara Irigoyen hospital, which...
Google, Hospital Chain
Cut Data Deal on
May 26, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Google, Hospital Chain Cut Data Deal on Patient Records
Goals include greater efficiency, help for clinicians
- Google is moving deeper into the health care business. Under a multiyear deal with HCA Healthcare, a hospital chain, the companies' engineers will develop algorithms to help monitor patients, guide medical decisions, and increase efficiency. Google will store data generated by HCA's medical devices, as well as information from...
Oxygen Tank Blast,
Fire Kill 82 in Hospital
Apr 25, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Oxygen Tank Blast, Fire Kill 82 in Hospital
Iraq says at least 200 people were rescued
- An explosion and fire in the intensive care unit at a hospital in Baghdad killed 82 people and injured 110, the Iraqi government said. The unit treats severe cases of COVID-19, and at least 28 of the patients killed were on ventilators, CBS reports. At least 200 people were rescued...
Mar 22, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Chicago Pulls Vaccine From Hospital After Rogue Events
Trump Tower workers were among those given unauthorized shots
- Two Chicago hospital executives have been reprimanded over COVID-19 vaccine events that improperly gave shots to people far from the West Side facility, including one held for workers at Trump Tower. Loretto Hospital's Board of Directors released a statement Friday saying it had "taken appropriate actions of reprimand"...
Prince Philip Heads Home
After 4-Week Hospital Stay
Mar 16, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
Prince Philip Heads Home After 4-Week Hospital Stay
Queen's 99-year-old husband had a heart procedure and was treated for an infection
- Prince Philip left a London hospital on Tuesday after being treated for an infection and undergoing a heart procedure, reports the AP . Philip, 99, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, had been hospitalized since being admitted to the private King Edward VII's Hospital in London on Feb. 16, where...
Nurses Saw Fire
in Newborn Unit.
For 10 Infants, It
Was Too Late
Jan 9, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Nurses Saw Fire in Newborn Unit. For 10 Infants, It Was Too Late
Officials did manage to rescue 7 babies at hospital in Bhandara, India
- A fire broke out in the intensive care unit of a government-run hospital in western India early Saturday, killing 10 infants, police and news reports said, per the AP . A preliminary investigation suggests the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit, a police rep says. The Press Trust of...
to Black Doctor's
Jan 1, 2021 12:30 PM CST
Critics: Hospital CEO's Response to Black Doctor's Death 'Ridiculous'
Dennis Murphy cites a 'complex picture' leading to death of Dr. Susan Moore, but others push back
- The head of an Indiana hospital has addressed the allegations of Dr. Susan Moore, a Black medical doctor who died last month from coronavirus complications after accusing a doctor and other hospital staff of being biased in their treatment of her—but his comments have only fueled the controversy. In...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Trump Sues CNN for $475M
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Arizona Clinic Comes Up With Abortion Pill Workaround
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.