Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 19, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
GameStop Manager Fatally Shoots Alleged Shoplifter
Derrick Guerrero charged with manslaughter in Florida incident
- A Florida GameStop manager has been charged with manslaughter after, police say, he fatally shot an alleged shoplifter at the Pembroke Pines store. Police say an adult male came into the store Tuesday night and was there for about an hour before asking the manager to use a ladder to...
Target Shuttering 9 Stores
for Safety Reasons
Sep 27, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Target Shuttering 9 Stores for Safety Reasons
With retail thefts on the rise, stores in 4 states are closing
- Amid an increase in retail thefts including "smash and grab" and "flash rob" incidents , Target is closing eight West Coast stores (three in San Francisco, three in Portland, and two in Seattle) plus one location in New York City. They will be shuttered as of October 21, CBS...
Dick's Sporting Goods:
Shoplifters Are Killing Us
Aug 22, 2023 3:27 PM CDT
Dick's Sporting Goods: Shoplifters Are Killing Us
Retailer posts lousy earnings reports, blames rising theft as a big reason
- Dick's Sporting Goods posted weak second-quarter numbers on Tuesday—and it placed a large share of the blame on shoplifters. The retailer missed Wall Street forecasts as it reported a 23% plunge in profits for the quarter, reports CNBC , and shares in the company were down nearly 25% at...
Cops: Shoplifter Left Kids
in Car, and It Caught Fire
Jun 4, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Cops: Shoplifter Left Kids in Car, and It Caught Fire
Children were rescued, but mother faces serious charges in Florida
- A Florida woman faces charges of aggravated child neglect and arson after her car became engulfed in flames while she was allegedly shoplifting at a mall, say police. Alicia Moore, 24, parked her car in a parking lot outside a Dillard's department store at Oviedo Mall on May 26,...
Nov 30, 2021 5:40 PM CST
Woman Accused of Shoplifting Awarded $2.1M
She received settlement demands long after Walmart case was dismissed
- A woman who took Walmart to court instead of paying $200 to settle what she said were false allegations of shoplifting has been awarded $2.1 million by a jury in Alabama. In her lawsuit, Lesleigh Nurse said she was leaving a Walmart with her husband and children five years...
Forced It to Close
Oct 14, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Walgreens Says Shoplifting Has Forced It to Close SF Stores
5 more outlets in city will close next month
- Walgreens says it's closing five more of its stores in San Francisco because of "organized retail crime," bringing the number of closures in recent years to 22—almost a third of its stores in the city. The chain says its San Francisco stores have been targeted by...
Apr 15, 2021 6:10 PM CDT
Shoplifting Suspect With Dementia Sues Police
'I'm going home,' woman told officer as she was being handcuffed
- A police officer who arrested a 73-year-old Colorado woman with dementia, pushing her to the ground and handcuffing her, after she walked away from a store without paying for about $14 worth of items last year was placed on administrative leave Thursday pending the outcome of a police investigation. Karen...
Shoplifting Call Takes
Jan 3, 2021 4:44 PM CST
Shoplifting Call Takes Heartwarming Turn
A police officer provides Christmas dinner for women and kids
- A Massachusetts police officer declined to charge two women accused of trying to steal groceries for their children, the AP reports, and instead bought them Christmas dinner. Somerset Officer Matt Lima responded to a report of shoplifting Dec. 20 at Stop & Shop, where two women with two young children...
Off-Duty Cop Opens Fire
on Shoplifting Suspect
Jul 5, 2020 3:20 PM CDT
Off-Duty Cop Opens Fire on Shoplifting Suspect
Police are investigating the incident in Del City, Oklahoma
- An off-duty police officer in Oklahoma opened fire on a customer who allegedly stole a BBQ grill from a Walmart, TMZ reports. The Langston University cop was caught on video (WARNING: violence) struggling with the suspect, who was in the driver's seat of a car in the Walmart parking...
Guy Arrested on Same Odd
Charge Twice in One Week
Mar 19, 2020 5:02 PM CDT
Guy Arrested on Same Odd Charge Twice in One Week
Florida's LeRoy Stotelmyer accused of impersonating a law officer
- Hand it to LeRoy Stotelmyer, he doesn't give up. The Florida man was arrested Friday for allegedly impersonating a law officer only days after being arrested on the very same charge, the
reports. The 60-year-old's latest alleged offense: impersonating an officer to avoid paying a $2...
Shoplifting Suspect's Hiding
Spot Made Her Hard to Capture
Oct 7, 2019 11:40 AM CDT
Shoplifting Suspect's Hiding Spot Made Her Hard to Capture
Police say Kristina Perkins hid in the ceiling of a Florida Big Lots, kept moving
- A Florida woman faces multiple charges after authorities say she climbed into the ceiling of a Port Charlotte Big Lots store to avoid a shoplifting arrest. A Charlotte County Sheriff's Office news release says 37-year-old Kristina Perkins headed into the store's restroom on Friday and removed some tiles...
'He Had a Gun Drawn': Parents
Arrested With 2 Young Children
Jun 16, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
'He Had a Gun Drawn': Parents Arrested With 2 Young Children
The Phoenix couple has filed a claim for $10 million
- A Phoenix couple wants $10 million after being arrested at gunpoint with their two small children, apparently over a stolen doll—and bystander videos don't look great for police, CNN reports. Dravon Ames and his fiancee, Iesha Harper, say they didn't see their 4-year-old daughter steal a doll...
He Just Bought
a Private Island.
Cops Say He
Stole From Kmart
Apr 9, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
He Just Bought a Private Island. Cops Say He Stole From Kmart
Andrew Lippi faces grand theft charges, accused of stealing $300 worth of items
- Andrew Lippi owns a resort that's been used in MTV's
and a private island in the Florida Keys that he purchased for $8 million last week. He was also just accused of trying to steal about $300 worth of items from Kmart. ABC News and the...
He Said He Feared for His Life.
Tape Makes It a 'Tough Call'
Oct 16, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
He Said He Feared for His Life. Tape Makes It a 'Tough Call'
Legal experts wrangle with whether store co-owner had 'stand your ground' rights in fatal Fla. shooting
- The tapes are out from Florida police, and now the world can see more of the story behind the fatal shooting of Christobal Lopez. The 50-year-old was killed Oct. 3 in a Vets Army Navy Surplus Store in Lakeland while there with his father—both transients, police say, per the...
Cincinnati Cop Tases Girl
Accused of Stealing Food
Aug 8, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Cincinnati Cop Tases Girl Accused of Stealing Food
Officer is on restricted duty amid investigation
- A Cincinnati police officer is on restricted duty after using a Taser on an 11-year-old girl suspected of stealing food from a Kroger. "It's hard to understand why an 11-year-old would be tased. I expect answers in 24 hours," Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman tells the
Trump: 'I Should Have
Left Them in Jail!'
Nov 20, 2017 1:41 AM CST
Trump: 'I Should Have Left Them in Jail!'
President chastises father of UCLA player arrested in China
- President Trump is singing a different tune after helping three UCLA athletes who were arrested for shoplifting in China come home. “I should have left them in jail!” the president tweeted Sunday in response to an interview in which one of the players' fathers downplayed his role in...
Basketball Players Head Home
After Week's Detention in China
Nov 14, 2017 9:39 AM CST
Basketball Players Head Home After Week's Detention in China
Resolution of case against them isn't clear
- The three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting while on a team trip to China flew back home Tuesday, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. A source confirms to ESPN they are due back in the US Tuesday. Hours before freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill, and Cody Riley were spotted by...
Source: UCLA Leaves Alleged
Shoplifting Players in China
Nov 11, 2017 4:25 PM CST
Source: UCLA Leaves Alleged Shoplifting Players in China
The rest of the team is due back in Los Angeles Saturday night
- The UCLA basketball team is heading back to Los Angeles without three players arrested on shoplifting charges in China, a person with knowledge of the situation told the AP on Saturday. Freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill, and Cody Riley were to remain in Hangzhou, China, while the rest of the...
3 UCLA Players in China
in Legal Limbo Over Shoplifting
Nov 9, 2017 5:03 AM CST
3 UCLA Players in China in Legal Limbo Over Shoplifting
LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley, and Jalen Hill are confined to their hotel for now
- Three UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China are confined to their hotel as the legal process unfolds, reports ESPN . In theory, that could take months, depending on whether a formal investigation is launched, a Chinese law expert tells the
Los Angeles Times
. But the best bet is that...
Chinese Police Arrest
3 UCLA Basketball Players
Nov 7, 2017 6:58 PM CST
Chinese Police Arrest 3 UCLA Basketball Players
LiAngelo Ball, others allegedly shoplifted from Louis Vuitton store
- Three members of the UCLA men's basketball team were arrested Tuesday in China on suspicion of shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team's hotel in Hangzhou, sources tell ESPN . The Bruins are set to open their season against Georgia Tech on Friday in Shanghai. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.