Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent happy news and other uplifting news stories from around the world on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Little Guy Is Big News
for Endangered Species
Nov 27, 2023 12:26 PM CST
This Little Guy Is Big News for Endangered Species
There's a new calf for the population of Sumatran rhinos, which number fewer than 50
- A critically endangered Sumatran rhino was born in Indonesia's western island of Sumatra over the weekend, reports the AP , the second Sumatran rhino born in the country this year and a welcome addition to a species that currently numbers fewer than 50 animals. A female named Delilah gave birth...
Couple, Dog Airlifted After Boat
Breaks 2 Weeks Into Trip
Nov 22, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Couple, Dog Airlifted After Boat Breaks 2 Weeks Into Trip
Coast Guard rescued them from Gulf of Mexico
- Heather and Robert Cook and their dog, Bandit, set sail from Port Canaveral on Florida's Atlantic coast November 2, headed out on a monthlong trip that was meant to end in Biloxi, Mississippi, on December 1. Instead, on Saturday, about halfway into the adventure, they realized that they had...
Woman Finds Lifesaving
Kidney on TikTok
Nov 21, 2023 9:30 AM CST
Woman Finds Lifesaving Kidney on TikTok
Savannah Stallbaumer jumped at the chance to help fellow Kansan Katie Hallum, a stranger
- In a 10-second TikTok video , Katie Hallum infused humor into her plea for a lifesaving kidney. She stepped out from behind a door as the words "POV: I overhear you say you have an O blood type and healthy kidneys" appeared on screen, then mouthed a quote from
Crew to Celebrate 8th
Nov 16, 2023 1:30 AM CST
'Wrong Number' Crew to Celebrate 8th Thanksgiving Together
Wanda Dench, Jamal Hinton partner with Airbnb to add 2 more guests
- The Arizona grandma who invited the wrong teen to Thanksgiving dinner in 2016, leading to years of
-inducing holiday get-togethers , are celebrating together again this year. And in honor of the tradition's eighth year, they're adding
strangers into the mix, NBC News reports. Wanda Dench, whose husband...
Rescuers Spot 'Unusual' Rock:
It Was Their Lost Hiker
Nov 13, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Rescuers Spot 'Unusual' Rock: It Was Their Lost Hiker
Colorado rescue team saves a very cold adventurer on mountain
- A hiker clad in a cotton hoodie ended up in serious trouble last week when a snowstorm swept over Colorado's Mount Princeton. However, all ended well when members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue who were tracking footprints in the snow came across "an unusual looking rock at...
'The Wave of My Life:'
Female Surfer Makes History
Nov 9, 2023 1:05 PM CST
'The Wave of My Life:' Female Surfer Makes History
Laura Enever of Australia surfs a 43.6-foot monster, is certified by Guinness
- An Australian named Laura Enever now holds the mark to beat for other female surfers—43.6 feet. The Guinness Book of Records has certified Enever with paddling into the largest-ever wave by a woman, reports Surfer.com . The 31-year-old conquered the wave back in January in Oahu, Hawaii, but...
NFL Fans in Germany Continue
John Denver Tradition
Nov 6, 2023 2:00 AM CST
NFL Fans in Germany Continue John Denver Tradition
Sing along to 'Take Me Home, Country Roads' at NFL game
- As the Kansas City Chiefs played the Miami Dolphins on Sunday in Germany as part of the NFL's International Series of games, fans at Deutsche Bank Park in Frankfurt engaged in what may have seemed like a surprising tradition to some: singing along as John Denver's "Take...
NZ Curling Team Moves Into
a Canadian Retirement Home
Nov 3, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
NZ Curling Team Moves Into a Canadian Retirement Home
New Zealand squad needed inexpensive lodging while training in Canada
- The average age of residents in the Chartwell Colonel Belcher Retirement Residence in Calgary is 84, notes the
New York Times
. But if the home's four new temporary residents were factored in, the number would skew much lower. In an unusual lodging arrangement—and one that seems to thrill...
The Beatles Just
Released a New Song
Nov 2, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
The Beatles Just Released a New Song
'Now and Then' features the late John Lennon and George Harrison with Paul and Ringo
- More than 40 years after John Lennon was killed and more than 20 years after George Harrison died, the Beatles have released a new song. Listen to "Now and Then" here . You can also see a short film about how it was made here . The song comes from a...
Deliver a Surprise
Decades in the Making
Oct 30, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Metal Detectorists Deliver a Surprise Decades in the Making
Skyla Carmona has back wedding ring she lost in woods 48 years ago thanks to Massachusetts team
- Metal detectorists are often ribbed as being nerds, but a group of those nerds helped deliver a wonderful surprise to a Nashville woman who lost her wedding ring almost a half-century ago. Skyla and Phil Carmona, a Special Forces medic, were married in 1973, a little more than six months...
He Gave Up
Chance to Make
History for a Friend
Oct 30, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
He Gave Up Chance to Make World Series History for a Friend
Tommy Pham asked to sit in 9th so fellow journeyman Jace Peterson could get an at-bat
- The Arizona Diamondbacks crushed the Texas Rangers 9-1 in Game 2 of the World Series Saturday night, but there was one bit of drama left heading into the 9th inning. Tommy Pham of the Diamondbacks was due to bat, and he was already 4-for-4. If he were to get a...
Dog Raises the Alarm
After Teen Has Stroke
Oct 25, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
Dog Raises the Alarm After Teen Has Stroke
Outcome would probably have been much worse without Axel's intervention, doctors say
- A teenager in Spring, Texas, who had a stroke in August would probably be in much worse shape today if it wasn't for Axel, a 1-year-old border collie who raised the alarm, doctors say. Amanda Tanner tells Today.com that Axel, adopted from a rescue group last year, was...
World's Oldest Dog
Dies at Age 31
Oct 23, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
World's Oldest Dog Dies at Age 31
Bobi of Portugal was the longest-lived pooch ever, according to Guinness World Records
- The longest-lived dog known to the world has died at the remarkable age of 31 years and 165 days, reports the
. The age of Bobi, who lived in Portugal, had been certified earlier this year by Guinness World Records, which christened him "the world's oldest dog ever....
Stuck Above Paris, Couple
Decides to Take the Plunge
Oct 19, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Stuck Above Paris, Couple Decides to Take the Plunge
Tourists sit while police catch Eiffel Tower climber
- Police arrested a man climbing Thursday on the Eiffel Tower, leading to visitors being temporarily stranded at the summit—including a reporter for the AP and a Washington, DC, couple who decided during the wait to get married. Amir Khan had been planning to propose to Kat Warren later Thursday...
Struggling Deer Get Ride
in Alaska Troopers' Boat
Oct 18, 2023 3:24 PM CDT
Struggling Deer Get Ride in Alaska Troopers' Boat
They were in 'rough shape' 4 miles from shore
- Two deer struggling in the waters of southeast Alaska's famed Inside Passage finally made it to land, thanks to two Alaska Wildlife Troopers who gave the deer a lift in their boat. Sgt. Mark Finses and trooper Kyle Feuge were returning from a patrol in nearby Ernest Sound to...
A Week After
Her Last Skydive,
Oct 11, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
A Week After Her Last Skydive, Woman Dies at 104
Chicago woman Dorothy Hoffner took up hobby at 100
- Just a week after she made headlines when she went skydiving at age 104, Dorothy Hoffner died at home while sleeping Sunday overnight into Monday. The Chicago woman, who never married or had children, referred to nurse Joe Conant, 62, as her grandson, and Conant tells the
New York Times
With This Birth,
'Hope for a Species'
Oct 4, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
With This Birth, 'Hope for a Species'
Endangered Sumatran rhino calf born in Indonesia through captive breeding program
- In a birth being celebrated around the world, a baby girl has been delivered healthy, weighing in at 60 pounds. Don't worry, it's not a human baby but a critically endangered Sumatran rhino, whose birth "represents hope for a species threatened with extinction," per CNN . The...
A Woman Makes a Little
College Football History
Sep 25, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
A Woman Makes a Little College Football History
Haley Van Voorhis, safety for Shenandoah University, is the first female non-kicker to suit up
- Haley Van Voorhis is a college student majoring in business and, save for one thing, just a typical woman at Virginia's Shenandoah University: The 5-foot-6, 145-pound junior took the field on Saturday as a safety, and in so doing became the NCAA's first-ever football player to do so...
Tries to Give
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 23, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Jennifer Garner Tries to Give Homeless Man Her Shoes
And successfully recruits a paparazzo when hers proved to be too small
- In a sweet moment caught on video you can see at TMZ or a series of photographs you can see at Page Six , Jennifer Garner offered an apparently homeless man the shoes off her own feet Sunday afternoon in Santa Monica, California. Garner was driving in a beach parking lot...
College Student Finds Quite
the Wedding Dress Bargain
Sep 22, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
College Student Finds Quite the Wedding Dress Bargain
Emmali Osterhoudt stumbled upon a $6K Galia Lahav gown for just $25 at an Alabama Goodwill
- Emmali Osterhoudt is a nursing student who doesn't see herself getting married (or even engaged) anytime soon, but when she came across a wedding dress at Goodwill during a recent thrifting expedition, she knew she had to grab it. In a TikTok video posted earlier this month, she gushed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.