Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Explosions Rip Through
Russian Ammo Depot in Crimea
Aug 16, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
Explosions Rip Through Russian Ammo Depot in Crimea
Russia blames an 'act of sabotage'
- Explosions and fires ripped through an ammunition depot in Russian-occupied Crimea on Tuesday in the second suspected Ukrainian attack on the peninsula in just over a week, forcing the evacuation of more than 3,000 people. Russia blamed the blasts in the village of Mayskoye on an "act of...
Report: Mistake Exposes
Mercenaries to Attack
Aug 15, 2022 4:07 PM CDT
Report: Mistake Exposes Mercenaries to Attack
Russian journalist reportedly included address marker for headquarters in photo
- A careless posting on social media led Ukrainian forces to the headquarters of mercenaries linked to Russia, officials in eastern Ukraine said. The governor of Luhansk said the location of the secret headquarters of the Wagner paramilitary group was betrayed by a photo posted by a Russian journalist that displayed...
Is Russia Planning to
Steal Ukraine's Electricity?
Aug 15, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Is Russia Planning to Steal Ukraine's Electricity?
One expert says it could be 'the biggest electricity heist ever'
- Someone shelled the Zaporizhzhia nuclear facility in southern Ukraine on Aug. 5, narrowly avoiding catastrophe. Russia and Ukraine have since traded blame, but the
Wall Street Journal
has analyzed damage to the plant using available imagery and accounts from locals, and the evidence suggests the shelling may have been part...
Ukraine Says Crimea Blasts
Destroyed 9 Russian Planes
Aug 10, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Ukraine Says Crimea Blasts Destroyed 9 Russian Planes
Russia denies aircraft were damaged in Saki explosions
: Ukraine's air force said Wednesday that nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in a deadly string of explosions at an air base in Crimea, amid speculation the blasts were the result of a Ukrainian attack that would represent a significant escalation in the war, the AP reports. Russia denied...
Russian Police Raid
Home of Protesting Journo
Aug 10, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Russian Police Raid Home of Protesting Journo
This could mark a turn toward harsher punishment for Marina Ovsyannikova
- The Russian journalist who was fined , then arrested for speaking out against Russia's war in Ukraine had her door kicked in by Russian security forces in a Wednesday raid, according to media human rights group OVD-Info. Marina Ovsyannikova is now to be taken in front of the Investigative Committee...
Zelensky Wants West to Ban
Travel by Russian Citizens
Aug 9, 2022 2:36 PM CDT
Zelensky Wants West to Ban Travel by Russian Citizens
'This is the only way to influence Putin,' says Ukraine leader
- If Russia annexes more Ukrainian land, Western nations should ban all Russian citizens from their borders. That is the hardline position taken by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky in an interview with the
Russian officials have indicated they plan to hold “annexation votes” in the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia...
US to Send Ukraine
Biggest Arms Package Yet
Aug 8, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
US to Send Ukraine Biggest Arms Package Yet
- The US on Monday announced its biggest arms shipment so far to Ukraine, a package adding up to $1 billion that includes long-range weapons and armored medical transport vehicles. US assistance since Russia invaded Ukraine in February now surpasses $9 billion. The weapons will come from American military stockpiles, CNBC...
Roger Waters Faces Backlash
Over Ukraine, Taiwan Remarks
Aug 8, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Roger Waters Faces Backlash Over Ukraine, Taiwan Remarks
Ex-Pink Floyd member says Biden is a 'war criminal'
- In remarks unlikely to endear him to his former Pink Floyd bandmates, Roger Waters has branded President Biden a "war criminal" for supporting Ukraine after the Russian invasion. Waters, asked during a CNN interview why he includes Biden in a montage of "war criminals" displayed during his concert...
It's a 'Suicidal Thing': Europe's
Biggest Nuke Plant Shelled
Aug 8, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
It's a 'Suicidal Thing': Europe's Biggest Nuke Plant Shelled
Russia blames Ukraine, and vice versa, amid calls for peacekeepers to take control of facility
- One thing both sides in the Russia-Ukraine war agree on: Shelling a nuclear plant is not a good idea. However,
shelled the Zaporizhzhia plant in southeastern Ukraine over the weekend, and each side is blaming the other, reports the BBC . "This time a nuclear catastrophe was miraculously avoided,...
Ukraine Puts Civilians in
Harm's Way, Report Says
Aug 4, 2022 6:42 PM CDT
Ukraine Puts Civilians in Harm's Way, Report Says
Zelensky angrily denounces Amnesty International's assessment
- Ukrainian forces have exposed civilians to Russian attacks at times by basing themselves in schools, residential buildings, and other places in populated areas, Amnesty International says in a report published Thursday. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky angrily denounced the report, saying Amnesty International "tries to amnesty the terrorist state and...
Russia's 'Secret First Lady'
Finally Added to Sanctions List
Aug 2, 2022 8:29 PM CDT
Russia's 'Secret First Lady' Finally Added to Sanctions List
Putin's alleged lover, Alina Kabaeva, had dodged US sanctions for months
: More than five months after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the woman widely known as Russia's "secret first lady" has been hit with US sanctions. Former Olympic gymnast Alina Kabaeva, 39, was one of 13 Russian nationals added to the sanctions list Tuesday, the
on Nuclear Plant
Aug 1, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Russia's Hold on Nuclear Plant Stumps Ukraine
Troops fire from Zaporizhzhia station knowing return fire would risk disaster
- Russia's occupation of Europe's largest nuclear power plant is making Ukrainian forces and residents of the city of Nikopol defenseless. When Russian troops send rockets from the Zaporizhzhia station across the Dnipro River and into Nikopol, the fire is not returned. That would be too risky: A Ukraine-fired...
Ukraine Hasn't Seen
This Sight Since Feb. 24
Aug 1, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Ukraine Hasn't Seen This Sight Since Feb. 24
The first ship leaves the Black Sea port of Odessa under deal with Russia
- A ship carrying nearly 30,000 tons of corn set sail on Monday and received widespread press in the process. That's because it's the first ship carrying Ukrainian grain to leave the country under a deal with Russia brokered by the UN and Turkey and designed to ease...
One of Ukraine's
Richest Men Killed
in 'Targeted' Strike
Aug 1, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
One of Ukraine's Richest Men Killed in 'Targeted' Strike
Grain tycoon Oleksiy Vadatursky and his wife were killed in their home
- One of the richest men in Ukraine was killed, along with his wife, in what officials say was a targeted strike on their home during Russian shelling of the city of Mykolaiv. A missile hit the home of Oleksiy Vadatursky, a grain tycoon, overnight, the BBC reported Sunday. It "...
for a Warning
Jul 31, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Sting Pauses Warsaw Concert for a Warning
Democracy is 'worth fighting for,' singer tells audience
- British musician Sting interrupted a concert in Warsaw on Saturday evening to warn his audience that democracy is under attack worldwide and to denounce the war in Ukraine as "an absurdity based upon a lie." He asked a popular Polish actor, Maciej Stuhr, to come onstage to translate...
Red Cross Pushes to See
Wounded in Prison
Jul 30, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Red Cross Pushes to See Wounded in Prison
Condemnation by UN isn't sufficient, Zelensky says after attack
- Ukrainian and Russian officials blamed each other Saturday for the deaths of dozens of Ukrainian prisoners of war in an attack on a prison in a separatist-controlled area. The International Red Cross asked to visit the prison to make sure the scores of wounded POWs had proper treatment but said...
Point Fingers After
Shelling Kills POWs
Jul 29, 2022 8:20 AM CDT
Ukraine, Russia Point Fingers After Shelling Kills POWs
Separatists say shelling killed 53 Ukrainians who were captured in Mariupol
- Russian-backed separatists in Ukraine said Friday that a Ukrainian attack with US-supplied missiles on a separatist eastern region hit a prison and killed 53 Ukrainian prisoners of war who were captured in Mariupol—but Ukraine blamed the attack on Russian forces. The attack with HIMARS multiple rocket launchers on the...
Russia Strikes Kyiv Amid
Jul 28, 2022 4:32 AM CDT
Russia Strikes Kyiv Amid Ukraine Counterattacks
Ukraine says operation to liberate Kherson has begun
- Russian forces on Thursday launched massive missile strikes on Ukraine's Kyiv and Chernihiv regions, areas that haven't been targeted in weeks, while Ukrainian officials announced an operation to liberate an occupied region in the country's south. Kyiv regional governor Oleksiy Kuleba said on Telegram that a settlement...
Ukrainian Commander Details
Ambush that Killed 2 Americans
Jul 25, 2022 4:12 PM CDT
Ukrainian Commander Details Ambush that Killed 2 Americans
Identities confirmed by State Department
- The US State Department and families have confirmed the identities of two American citizens killed in combat in Ukraine this month. Per the
Luke "Skywalker" Lusyszyn and Bryan Young both died July 18 after being ambushed by Russian tanks. Two other foreigner fighters—Emile-Antoine Roy-Sirois of Canada and...
Russia: Our Goal
Is to Oust Zelensky
Jul 25, 2022 8:04 AM CDT
Russia: Our Goal Is to Oust Zelensky
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says administration of Zelensky is an 'absolutely unacceptable regime'
- Russia's top diplomat said Moscow’s overarching goal is to topple the government of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, reports the AP , making Russian war aims more explicit as its forces keep pummeling Ukraine with artillery barrages and airstrikes . The remark from Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov comes amid Ukraine'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.