Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the 10 Most
LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
These Are the 10 Most LGBTQ-Friendly US Cities
San Francisco ranks No. 1, per LawnStarter
- June is Pride Month, and as LawnStarter notes, "Everyone wants the American dream—a home in a safe and supportive community—including LGBTQ people." That's why the site looked at 200 of the country's largest cities to see which ones qualify as LGBTQ-friendly, factoring in 19...
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities
in America to Raise a Family
May 31, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities in America to Raise a Family
Fremont, California, comes out on top; Detroit is last, per WalletHub
- Moving is a part of life—and for the family-oriented, it's especially critical to find a decent location to set down roots. WalletHub has tried to ease the burden by crunching the numbers in more than 180 of the country's largest cities, looking at nearly four dozen metrics...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
Places to Start a Career
May 16, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst Places to Start a Career
Salt Lake City is where to head
- It's graduation season, which means young adults are now earnestly seeking their first post-college jobs. WalletHub wanted to see which locations offer the best potential for jump-starting one's career, so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining two dozen-plus metrics in...
Union Campaign Hits
Home for Starbucks
Apr 22, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Union Campaign Hits Home for Starbucks
Two company roasteries in Seattle now have approved collective bargaining
- Starbucks workers at the coffee giant's flagship roastery in Seattle voted Thursday to form a union, the chain's latest location to do so. The Seattle store voted 38-27 to unionize. Workers United said 26 Starbucks locations have unionized nationwide. The Starbucks Reserve and Roastery in the Capitol Hill...
This Is the
Apr 4, 2022 8:44 AM CDT
This Is the Healthiest City in America
San Francisco tops WalletHub's list; Brownsville, Texas, brings up the rear
- The pandemic made many reassess the importance of staying fit, so WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities to see which are helping residents live their best wellness lives in four main categories:
(including such factors as cost of basic medicine, quality of...
Seattle Pride Boots
Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Mar 24, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
Seattle Pride Boots Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Cites company's donations to anti-LGBTQ politicians, and much more
- Seattle Pride cut ties with Amazon on Tuesday, removing the company as sponsor of its Pride March. "Seattle Pride has decided to not partner with Amazon for the 2022 Seattle Pride Parade because of their financial donations to politicians who actively propose and support anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation, oppose pro-LGBTQIA+ and...
Want a Perpetual Smile
on Your Face? Move Here
Mar 1, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Want a Perpetual Smile on Your Face? Move Here
WalletHub ranks the happiest cities in the US, with 6 out of the top 10 falling in one state
- Bobby McFerrin can only offer so many insinuations that being happy is just a state of mind. After all, there are real, measurable factors that can help boost one's happiness level, and in some parts of the US, those factors can be found in spades. WalletHub looked at more...
Saying He Felt
Jan 12, 2022 6:33 AM CST
Seattle Maestro Abruptly Quits, Saying He Felt 'Threatened'
The 'New York Times' calls it 'an unusually bitter, and open, rupture'
- The maestro of the Seattle Symphony Orchestra resigned abruptly on Jan. 3 in an email sent from his home in Denmark. The
reported last week that now-former music director Thomas Dausgaard said in a Symphony news release that his decision was "a result of these pandemic times,...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
Looking for a Job?
Check Out These Cities
Jan 4, 2022 5:52 PM CST
Looking for a Job? Check Out These Cities
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's list
- New year, new career—or at least a gig that's better than the one you've got? If a more satisfying or better-paying job is on your list of 2022 goals, some cities may be better bets than others, according to WalletHub . The site looked at more than 180...
Jan 2, 2022 3:10 PM CST
Seattle Kraken Fan Called a Hero
Future med student spotted malignant mole on Canucks staffer's neck
- When Nadia Popovici showed the Vancouver Canucks’ equipment manager a message on her phone last October, he barely acknowledged it. But the message changed his life. The hockey fan was sitting behind the bench and happened to notice a scary mole on the back of Brian “Red” Hamilton’s...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
Here Are the Most
Generous Cities in America
Nov 30, 2021 12:00 PM CST
Here Are the Most Generous Cities in America
Minneapolis and Seattle top LawnStarter's list
- If you're wondering why your socials are suddenly filled with requests for charitable donations, allow us to solve the mystery: It's Giving Tuesday, a day to open up one's wallet for good causes after doing the same in the name of consumerism on Black Friday and Cyber...
Boston, Cincinnati Elect
First Asian-American Mayors
Nov 4, 2021 3:59 AM CDT
Boston, Cincinnati Elect First Asian-American Mayors
Bruce Harrell is closing in on a win in Seattle
- Asian Americans will serve as mayor in Boston and Cincinnati for the first time in both cities’ histories, signaling political progress for a population that has struggled for almost two years with a rise in anti-Asian hate. Boston voters tapped City Councilor Michelle Wu, 36, on Tuesday to serve in...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
Married Seattle Cops Who
Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Aug 7, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
Married Seattle Cops Who Were in DC Jan. 6 Fired
Alexander and Caitlin Everett, who are married, said they didn't know there was an attack
- Two Seattle police officers, a married couple, have been fired for their presence at the US Capitol riot on Jan. 6. Alexander and Caitlin Everett say they were only attending a political event. But photos and video shot that day show them standing in a restricted area, in full view...
In Seattle, One of Its
Jul 26, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
In Seattle, One of Its 'Worst Mornings of Violence'
3 dead, 5 injured after series of unrelated shootings during 3-hour span on Sunday
- Multiple sites in Washington state's largest city were hit by gun violence early Sunday, leading to three deaths and five injuries in a series of shootings that cops say were unrelated. In a release cited by CNN , the Seattle Police Department lays out the timeline, starting at around 1:...
OK, We Get It—This
City Is Extremely Fit
Jul 13, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
OK, We Get It—This City Is Extremely Fit
Arlington, Va., named fittest city in America for 4th straight year on ACSM's annual list
- For the 14th straight year, the American College of Sports Medicine, in conjunction with the Anthem Foundation, has published its Fitness Index , ranking America's largest 100 cities and Washington, DC, on more than 30 indicators regarding various health behaviors, local infrastructure, and chronic diseases. And for the fourth year...
As Seattle Bakes,
Amazon Steps In
Jun 29, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
As Seattle Bakes, Amazon Steps In
Part of its headquarters is now a 1K-capacity cooling center
- Amazon has transformed part of its Seattle headquarters into a public cooling center amidst a grueling heat wave that saw temperatures climb above 100 degrees on Monday for the third day in a row. With a dome of high pressure over the Northwest, Seattle hit an all-time record of 108...
Vaxxed and Ready to Relax?
These US Cities Are Waiting
Jun 21, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
Vaxxed and Ready to Relax? These US Cities Are Waiting
San Francisco tops LawnStarter's list of best places for the vaccinated to enjoy summer vacation
- Summer is here, and if you're cautiously starting to reemerge from the pandemic, you may wonder if it's possible to contemplate some well-deserved holiday time. LawnStarter answers that question for the fully vaccinated with its ranking of US cities ideal for "vaxcations." The site looked at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.