Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: Ghislaine Maxwell
Is the 'Prison Karen'
Jun 29, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
Report: Ghislaine Maxwell Is the 'Prison Karen'
She's said to have made more than 400 complaints while behind bars
- In the appeal of her conviction for helping Jeffrey Epstein traffic and sexually abuse underage girls, Ghislaine Maxwell complained of "inhumane" conditions inside the low-security prison in which she's serving a 20-year sentence. Now, a source is revealing more about what she finds so cruel, including standard-issue pillows...
Ghislaine Maxwell Wants
Her Conviction Thrown Out
Mar 1, 2023 8:29 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell Wants Her Conviction Thrown Out
She repeats old arguments with new legal team, funded by divorce settlement
- Ghislaine Maxwell has launched the appeal of her conviction for helping Jeffrey Epstein traffic and sexually abuse underage girls thanks to a $10 million settlement in her divorce from tech entrepreneur Scott Borgerson, per Fox News . In a plea to a US appeals court, the British socialite echoes arguments "...
'I'm Sure' That
Photo Isn't Real
Jan 23, 2023 1:33 AM CST
Ghislaine Maxwell: 'I'm Sure' That Prince Andrew Photo Isn't Real
Jeffrey Epstein's former companion gives a jailhouse interview
- Ghislaine Maxwell did an interview with TalkTV back in August, and the UK broadcaster is airing it Monday night. But an explosive quote from Maxwell, who is serving 20 years for helping Jeffrey Epstein traffic and sexually abuse girls, has already been aired in a preview of the sit-down, the...
Suit: Billionaire Raped
Me at Epstein's Mansion
Nov 29, 2022 12:49 PM CST
Suit: Billionaire Raped Me at Epstein's Mansion
Cheri Pierson sues Apollo Global Management co-founder Leon Black, Epstein's estate
- A woman claims billionaire Leon Black raped her in a "brutal attack" at the Manhattan home of Jeffrey Epstein. In a lawsuit filed Monday, Cheri Pierson says she was "in desperate need of money" when she agreed to massage the co-founder and former CEO of Apollo Global Management...
Ghislaine Maxwell Speaks
in Jailhouse Interviews
Oct 16, 2022 6:49 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Speaks in Jailhouse Interviews
She says she pities her 'dear friend' Prince Andrew
- As he has fought off allegations of sexual impropriety from years past, Prince Andrew has maintained that he was never close friends with Ghislaine Maxwell . But in one of two jailhouse interviews, Maxwell—now a convicted sex trafficker thanks to her association with Jeffrey Epstein—says quite the opposite. "...
Ghislaine Maxwell Is Being
Sued by Her Lawyers
Aug 25, 2022 6:39 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Is Being Sued by Her Lawyers
They say they're owed more than $878K
- A law firm that helped defend Ghislaine Maxwell, the socialite convicted of helping the financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse underage girls, is suing her, her brother, and her husband, saying it was never paid for more than $878,000 for its work. Denver-based Haddon, Morgan, and Foreman alleged in a...
Ghislane Maxwell Sent to
Low-Security Florida Prison
Jul 25, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Ghislane Maxwell Sent to Low-Security Florida Prison
FCI Tallahassee wasn't her first choice
- After years of protesting conditions at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, Ghislaine Maxwell has been sent to a low-security federal prison in Florida. The British former socialite, who was sentenced last month to 20 years in prison for procuring underage girls for Jeffrey Epstein to abuse, arrived at the...
Ghislaine Maxwell Gets
20 Years in Epstein Case
Jun 28, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Gets 20 Years in Epstein Case
It's far fewer than the 30 to 55 years federal prosecutors sought
- Federal prosecutors wanted 30 to 55 years, but Ghislaine Maxwell was sentenced to far fewer on Tuesday. The jet-setting socialite who once consorted with royals, presidents, and billionaires was sentenced to 20 years for helping the financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse underage girls. Defense attorneys wanted a five-year term. That...
Ghislaine Maxwell Could
Get 55 Years in Prison
Jun 23, 2022 8:02 AM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Could Get 55 Years in Prison
She wants 5 years; prosecutors say her claim of being a scapecoat is 'absurd and offensive'
- The "shockingly predatory" Ghislaine Maxwell should be sentenced to 30 years up to the maximum 55 years for helping Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse four teenage girls over a decade, federal prosecutors write in a sentencing memorandum filed Wednesday in Manhattan federal court. The 60-year-old played an "instrumental role...
Ghislaine Maxwell Wants
to Serve Sentence in UK
Jun 13, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
Ghislaine Maxwell Wants to Serve Sentence in UK
She's due to be sentenced June 28
- Ghislaine Maxwell will face a maximum federal sentence of 55 years when she is sentenced for sex trafficking and other offenses later this month—and she wants to spend as little as possible of that time in an American prison. Friends and relatives say the British former socialite plans to...
Judge Rejects New Trial
for Ghislaine Maxwell
Apr 1, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Judge Rejects New Trial for Ghislaine Maxwell
Defense argued the guilty verdict was tainted by the presence of a juror who had been abused
: Ghislaine Maxwell's bid for a new trial was rejected Friday, when a federal judge ruled that a juror she argued tainted the conviction was not biased. The juror said he hurried through a questionnaire, giving the wrong answer on whether he had ever been sexually abused. "Even...
Maxwell Requests Retrial,
Citing 'Juror No. 50'
Jan 20, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Maxwell Requests Retrial, Citing 'Juror No. 50'
If a juror lied on questionnaire about past sexual abuse, it could be a factor
Ghislaine Maxwell has requested a retrial following her conviction for crimes including sex trafficking of a minor . The request was made Thursday by a lawyer who requested that all submissions related to "Juror No. 50 remain under seal until the court rules," per the CBC . Two jurors...
Lawyer: Key Witness in
Prince Andrew Case Will Testify
Jan 18, 2022 2:17 PM CST
Lawyer: Key Witness in Prince Andrew Case Will Testify
Woman says she saw prince in London nightclub with Virginia Giuffre
- Yet more bad legal news for Prince Andrew: A woman who says she saw Prince Andrew in a London nightclub with a young girl believed to Virginia Giuffre is willing to testify in Giuffre's lawsuit against him, her lawyer says. Lisa Bloom tells the
that her client, Shukri...
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing
Identities of Men in Lawsuit
Jan 15, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
Judge sets sentencing for June 28, assuming no rulings stop it
- Ghislaine Maxwell no longer opposes the release of the names of eight men who might have been involved in sex trafficking by a court. Maxwell, the longtime associate of Jeffrey Epstein who was convicted on five counts last month in New York, had supported keeping the names secret. Maxwell changed...
Ruling Puts Prince Andrew
on Path to Civil Trial
Jan 12, 2022 4:23 PM CST
Ruling Puts Prince Andrew on Path to Civil Trial
Judge decides Giuffre's earlier settlement doesn't keep royal from being sued
- Britain's Prince Andrew has almost run out of possibilities for keeping Virginia Giuffre's sexual abuse lawsuit against him from going to trial. US District Judge Lewis Kaplan in New York on Wednesday turned down Andrew's request to dismiss the case because of the terms of a 2009...
Report: Maxwell's Husband
Dumped Her in 'Tense' Call
Jan 3, 2022 7:39 AM CST
Report: Maxwell's Husband Dumped Her in 'Tense' Call
Scott Borgerson's new paramour is said to be a yoga instructor
- Ghislaine Maxwell's guilty verdict following her sex trafficking trial isn't the only bad news she has apparently received of late. The
reports her husband, 40-something shipping magnate Scott Borgerson, "may have moved on" from his 60-year-old wife—but the
reports he definitely has, and...
Judge Says Case Against
Prince Andrew Can Continue
Jan 2, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Judge Says Case Against Prince Andrew Can Continue
Rejects argument regarding Virginia Giuffre's residency
- Prince Andrew’s effort to immediately block the progression of a lawsuit by a woman who says he sexually assaulted her when she was 17—on the grounds that she no longer lives in the US— was rejected by a federal judge as oral arguments were set to proceed Monday...
Now Maybe Maxwell
Wants to Cut a Deal
Dec 30, 2021 6:55 PM CST
Now Maybe Maxwell Wants to Cut a Deal
She'd have to turn over big names to win a reduced sentence, experts say
- Until her conviction Wednesday on sex trafficking charges, Ghislaine Maxwell didn't see a need to cooperate with investigators. Apparently confident of acquittal, she had told the court that "the government has not proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt." Now that Maxwell is awaiting sentencing, legal analysts...
Dec 30, 2021 8:43 AM CST
BBC Apologizes Over Dershowitz Interview
He was brought on as legal analyst on Ghislaine Maxwell without reference to his ties to the case
- Like a lot of outlets, the BBC brought on legal analysts to discuss the guilty verdicts of Ghislaine Maxwell . Unlike a lot of outlets, the BBC invited attorney Alan Dershowitz to discuss the case—without disclosing Dershowitz's own deep ties to it, reports Mediaite . Not only was Dershowitz a...
Maxwell Verdict Called
a 'Towering Victory'
Dec 30, 2021 6:49 AM CST
Maxwell Verdict Called a 'Towering Victory'
Family says they have launched appeal
- Ghislaine Maxwell was found guilty on five out of six charges Wednesday, including the most serious, sex trafficking of a minor—and Sigrid McCawley, a lawyer for one of the four accusers who testified, called it a "towering victory" not just for the four, but "for the women...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.