Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Jan. 6 Medal Ceremony,
Officers Ignore GOP Leaders
Dec 6, 2022 4:29 PM CST
At Jan. 6 Medal Ceremony, Officers Ignore GOP Leaders
Honorees have criticized response of McConnell, McCarthy to the attack
- Police officers who defended the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 attack accepted Congressional Gold Medals on Tuesday but not the congratulations of Republican leaders. All senior congressional leaders took part in the ceremony honoring US Capitol Police officers; Washington, DC, Metropolitan Police; and others, Politico reports. "May this...
Oath Keepers Founder
Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Nov 29, 2022 4:37 PM CST
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
It's a big win for Jan. 6 prosecutors
- Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes was convicted Tuesday of seditious conspiracy for a violent plot to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential win, handing the Justice Department a major victory in its massive prosecution of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. A Washington, DC, jury found Rhodes guilty of...
5 Hours With Staff
of Jan. 6 Committee
Nov 28, 2022 6:32 PM CST
Conway Spends 5 Hours With Staff of Jan. 6 Committee
Former Trump aide says she didn't invoke the Fifth Amendment
- Kellyanne Conway met with investigators for the House committee looking into the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol on Monday for almost five hours. Conway, who was an adviser to former President Donald Trump but had left his administration by the time of the insurrection by the president's supporters,...
Complaints About Cheney
Lead to Committee Bickering
Nov 24, 2022 4:55 PM CST
Complaints About Cheney Lead to Committee Bickering
Trump jumps in on the squabble over final report, as well
- Divisions among the staff and members of the House Jan. 6 committee that had been kept behind the scenes have become public. Former and current staff members are displeased that Rep. Liz Cheney has steered the panel's final report to concentrate on former President Donald Trump, which they say...
Woman Accused of
Stealing Pelosi's Laptop
Convicted on 6 Counts
Nov 22, 2022 1:55 AM CST
Woman Accused of Stealing Pelosi's Laptop Convicted on 6 Counts
Though not, however, the one involving the laptop
- A Pennsylvania woman linked to the far-right “Groyper” movement was convicted Monday of several federal charges after prosecutors said she was part of a group that stormed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, the AP reports. Riley June Williams...
Pence: 'We Will Have Better
Choices' Than Trump
Nov 17, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Pence: 'We Will Have Better Choices' Than Trump
Former VP says voters want 'new leadership' in 2024
- Former Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that voters are "looking for new leadership" following the disappointing midterm elections for Republicans, who are now openly debating whether his onetime boss, Donald Trump, should maintain a leading role in the party. In an interview with the AP , Pence implicitly positioned...
Nov 17, 2022 12:50 PM CST
Another Capitol Rioter Is Convicted
Larry Brock carried zip ties, faces time in prison for felony obstruction
- The Air Force veteran seen carrying zip-tie handcuffs on the Senate floor during the Capitol riot faces prison time after being found guilty of numerous charges. Texas' Larry Rendall Brock Jr., convicted Wednesday of the felony charge of obstructing an official proceeding as well as five misdemeanor charges including entering...
Supreme Court Rules Against
GOP Figure in Records Fight
Nov 14, 2022 12:13 PM CST
Supreme Court Rules Against GOP Figure in Records Fight
Ruling allows House committee to access phone records of Arizona's Kelli Ward
- The Supreme Court has cleared the way for the House committee investigating the Capitol riot to get phone records belonging to the leader of the Arizona Republican Party. The high court on Monday rejected GOP state chair Kelli Ward's request to halt the turnover of records while a lawsuit...
Jan. 6 Tweet
Nov 14, 2022 8:27 AM CST
Pence: Trump's Jan. 6 Tweet About Me 'Angered' Me
Former VP tells ABC that former president's actions during Capitol riot were 'reckless'
- Mike Pence hasn't said much about what happened on Jan. 6, 2021, specifically on how he felt about former President Trump's remarks before and during the riot at the US Capitol. That changed over the weekend with the release of part of an interview the ex-vice president gave...
Jan. 6 Subpoena
Nov 12, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Trump Fights Jan. 6 Subpoena With 41-Page Complaint
Lawsuit likely means former president won't testify before House committee before it disbands
- There were hints last month that, under certain conditions, Donald Trump might agree to testify before the House panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, but it appears now that's not his plan. Axios reports the former president filed a lawsuit Friday to block the subpoena issued by the...
Rhodes: Oath Keepers at
Capitol Were 'Off-Mission'
Nov 7, 2022 3:15 PM CST
Rhodes: Oath Keepers at Capitol Were 'Off-Mission'
Militia leader testifies it was a 'stupid' move to breach building
- Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes testified Monday that he wasn't leading or commanding the militia members who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 last year—and he was angry with them afterward for going "off-mission." "I didn’t want them getting wrapped up into all the...
Jan. 6 Panel in Talks
With Team Trump:Cheney
Nov 2, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel in Talks With Team Trump:Cheney
Discussions around testimony are happening, she says
- Former President Trump's legal team is "in discussions" with the House select committee probing the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to Liz Cheney. The congresswoman says the talks center around the former POTUS testifying under oath in the investigation, CNN and ABC News report....
Oath Keeper in Jan. 6
Capitol Riot Cries on Stand
Nov 1, 2022 2:26 AM CDT
Oath Keeper in Jan. 6 Capitol Riot Cries on Stand
Graydon Young pleaded guilty, is testifying against group's founder
- A Florida man who stormed the US Capitol with other members of the far-right Oath Keepers testified Monday that he believed they were participating in a historic “Bastille-type event” reminiscent of the French Revolution, the AP reports. Graydon Young, a government witness at the seditious conspiracy trial of Oath...
Demonization of Nancy Pelosi
Has Been Years in the Making
Oct 29, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Demonization of Nancy Pelosi Has Been Years in the Making
House speaker is a regular recipient of Republican rage in ads and on Capitol Hill
- Before the 2010 election marked by the tea party's ascent, the Republican National Committee reworked its website, changing the display to a "Fire Pelosi" theme that depicted the speaker of the House engulfed in flames. Such attacks have been regular parts of GOP campaigns ever since, before the...
Man Who Dragged Officer
Into Jan. 6 Mob Sentenced
Oct 28, 2022 12:59 AM CDT
Man Who Dragged Officer Into Jan. 6 Mob Sentenced
Albuquerque Cosper Head gets more than 7 years behind bars
- A Tennessee man who dragged a police officer into a mob of rioters, initiating one of the most harrowing acts of violence during the US Capitol attack, was sentenced on Thursday to more than seven years in prison, the AP reports. Albuquerque Cosper Head declined to address the court before...
Pelosi in New
Jan. 6 Footage:
Punch Him Out'
Oct 14, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Pelosi in New Jan. 6 Footage: 'I'm Gonna Punch Him Out'
Never-before-seen video shot during riot shows House Speaker Pelosi's shock, anger at Trump
- The House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot on the US Capitol held its final public hearing before the midterms on Thursday, in which it resumed making its case against Donald Trump and even voted unanimously at the end of the hearing to subpoena the former president to testify....
Panel: Trump's Election
'Lie' Was Premeditated
Oct 13, 2022 3:52 PM CDT
Panel: Trump's Election 'Lie' Was Premeditated
President planned to declare victory no matter what, says Jan. 6 committee
- The House Jan. 6 panel resumed making its case against former President Trump on Thursday, and one key assertion is that Trump planned to declare election victory no matter the results, reports CNN . “This big lie, President Trump’s effort to convince Americans that he had won the 2020...
Jan. 6 Panel Votes
to Subpoena Trump
Oct 13, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Votes to Subpoena Trump
'None of this would have happened without him,' says Liz Cheney
The House Jan. 6 panel voted unanimously on Thursday to subpoena former President Trump to testify about his words and actions related to the Capitol riot, reports the AP . “We must seek the testimony under oath of January 6th’s central player,” said Liz Cheney, the committee’...
Jan. 6 Panel Expected to Share
Ginni Thomas Testimony
Oct 13, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Expected to Share Ginni Thomas Testimony
Thursday's hearing is set to offer 'surprising' details, a look into Trump's 'state of mind'
- The House Jan. 6 committee is set to unveil "surprising" details, including evidence from former President Trump's Secret Service, about the 2021 attack on the Capitol in what's likely to be its last public hearing before the November midterm elections. The hearing Thursday afternoon, the 10th public...
Proud Boys Member
Pleads Guilty to
Oct 6, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Proud Boys Member Pleads Guilty to Seditious Conspiracy
Jeremy Bertino is cooperating with federal investigation of group
- Jeremy Bertino on Thursday became the first Proud Boys leader to enter a guilty plea to a seditious conspiracy charge. Bertino was a top aide to Henry "Enrique" Tarrio, the group's top leader, and the plea could put Bertino in position to testify against Tarrio and others, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.