Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Launch Major Attacks
Aug 30, 2023 6:13 AM CDT
Ukraine, Russia Launch Major Attacks
2 die during Russian bombardment of Kyiv as Ukraine destroys transport aircraft in Pskov
- Russian officials on Wednesday accused Ukraine of launching what appeared to be the biggest nighttime drone attack on Russian soil since the war began 18 months ago. The Kremlin's forces also hit Kyiv during the night with what Ukrainian officials called a "massive, combined attack" that killed two...
Chris Christie Bears an
Unusual Gift for Zelensky
Aug 8, 2023 7:57 AM CDT
Chris Christie Bears an Unusual Gift for Zelensky
POTUS candidate presents Ukrainian leader with lyrics to 'It's My Life,' handwritten by Jon Bon Jovi
- One topic that Republicans disagree on is whether the United States should keep sending aid to Ukraine for its war with Russia. Now, one GOP presidential candidate has just made a big gesture reinforcing which side he's on. The Independent reports that former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie surprised...
Girl, 9, Among 3 Dead in
Latest Kyiv Bombardment
Jun 1, 2023 7:48 AM CDT
Girl, 9, Among 3 Dead in Latest Kyiv Bombardment
International Children’s Day events called off in Ukraine's capital
- A pre-dawn Russian missile attack on Ukraine's capital killed three people Thursday, including a 9-year-old and her mother, officials said, and inflicted the highest casualty toll from a single attack on Kyiv over the past month. The latest Russian attack, using what Ukrainian officials said were short-range Iskander ground-launched...
Rare Daytime Strikes Send
Kyiv Residents Fleeing
May 29, 2023 2:33 PM CDT
Rare Daytime Strikes Send Kyiv Residents Fleeing
Bombardment follows what Ukraine calls largest drone attack since Russia invaded
- Russia surprised Ukraine with a rare daytime missile attack on Kyiv on Monday, sending residents from the streets to bomb shelters. Air raid sirens went off just before 11am,
the New York Times
reports, and video posted later by Ukrainian officials showed children wearing their backpacks screaming and running to...
Ukraine Says It Shot Down
29 of 30 Russian Missiles
May 18, 2023 4:53 AM CDT
Ukraine Says It Shot Down 29 of 30 Russian Missiles
One missile got through in Odesa region
- Russia fired 30 cruise missiles against different parts of Ukraine early Thursday in the latest nighttime test of Ukrainian air defenses, which shot down 29 of them, officials said. One person died and two were wounded by a Russian missile that got through and struck an industrial building in the...
'Unstoppable' Russian Missiles
May Be Stoppable After All
May 16, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
'Unstoppable' Russian Missiles May Be Stoppable After All
Ukraine says it shot down volley of 6 Kinzhal hypersonic missiles overnight
- Overnight, Russia launched 18 missiles at Kyiv, six of them said to be "unstoppable" hypersonic Kinzhal missiles that travel at up to 10 times the speed of sound. Although people on the ground were said to be hurt by falling debris, Ukraine on Tuesday said it shot down all...
NASA Says Flash Over Kyiv
Wasn't Falling Satellite
Apr 20, 2023 4:49 AM CDT
NASA Says Flash Over Kyiv Wasn't Falling Satellite
Ukraine's air force says it wasn't Russian attack, either
- Since Russia launched its invasion in February 2022, the people of Kyiv have become all too familiar with things falling from the sky—but a flash that lit up the skies over the Ukrainian capital Wednesday night was unlike anything they had seen before. Officials initially believed it was a...
Five Hours in Kyiv
Took Months of Planning
Feb 20, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Five Hours in Kyiv Took Months of Planning
Just a handful of officials were involved in the planning, administration says
- President Biden and his wife, Jill, were spotted having a leisurely dinner at a Washington restaurant on Saturday night, per CNN , before they returned to the White House. Around 3:30am Sunday, the president's motorcade left for Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, where Biden boarded an Air Force plane....
Top Ukrainian Officials
Killed in Kyiv Helicopter Crash
Jan 18, 2023 7:08 AM CST
Top Ukrainian Officials Killed in Kyiv Helicopter Crash
Six government officials, including the minister for internal affairs, died alongside children
- A helicopter crashed Wednesday near a kindergarten outside Ukraine's capital, killing at least 16 people, including Ukraine's minister for internal affairs and three children, outlets report. The minister, Denys Monastyrsky, is the highest-ranking government official to die since the war with Russia began, according to the
Hit in Latest Attack on Kyiv
Dec 19, 2022 2:05 AM CST
Critical Infrastructure Hit in Latest Attack on Kyiv
Capital city targeted by drones
- Ukraine's capital was targeted by multiple drones in an attack early Monday, authorities reported, three days after what they described as one of Russia's biggest assaults on Kyiv since the beginning of the war. The Kyiv city administration said on its Telegram account that more than 20 Iranian-made...
Kyiv Says Missiles Shot Down
in Latest Russian Barrage
Dec 16, 2022 7:47 AM CST
Kyiv Says Missiles Shot Down in Latest Russian Barrage
City says 37 of 40 missiles were intercepted
- Kyiv authorities said Ukraine's capital withstood "one of the biggest rocket attacks” since Russian forces invaded the country nearly 10 months ago, reporting that air defenses shot down nearly all that entered the city’s airspace. The Kyiv City Administration said 37 of about 40 missiles were intercepted....
Zelensky 'Proud' After Foiled
Russian Attack on Kyiv
Dec 14, 2022 7:54 AM CST
Zelensky 'Proud' After Foiled Russian Attack on Kyiv
Air defense systems reportedly shot down all 13 drones
- For the first time in weeks, Russia launched a major drone attack on Ukraine's capital of Kyiv on Wednesday. Ukrainian officials said all 13 drones launched at the city in a pre-dawn attack were shot down and no one appeared to be injured. "All 13 were shot down...
Kyiv Residents Defiant as
Strikes Cut Off Power, Water
Nov 25, 2022 3:04 AM CST
Kyiv Residents Defiant as Strikes Cut Off Power, Water
They say Russian onslaught will not break them
- Residents of Ukraine's bombed capital clutched empty bottles in search of water and crowded into cafés for power and warmth Thursday, switching defiantly into survival mode after new Russian missile strikes a day earlier plunged the city and much of the country into the dark. In scenes hard...
Ukraine Raids 'Monastery of
the Caves' in Its Own Capital
Nov 23, 2022 1:19 PM CST
Ukraine Raids 'Monastery of the Caves' in Its Own Capital
In effort to stop Russian sympathizers from using Pechersk Lavra complex for sabotage
- If it seems counterintuitive that Ukrainian forces raided one of its own holy sites this week, it's strictly a preemptive strike. The BBC reports that the nation's SBU security service descended Tuesday upon Kyiv's Pechersk Lavra Christian monastery, a 1,000-year-old Eastern Orthodox church that, until recently,...
Russia Unleashes One
of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Nov 15, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Russia Unleashes One of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Missiles rain down from east to west in Ukraine, leaving many cities in the dark
- Russian airstrikes targeting energy and other facilities rocked Ukraine from east to west Tuesday, causing broad power blackouts. A senior official warned that the situation was "critical" and urged Ukrainians to "hang in there" as neighborhoods went dark, per the AP . The
describes the assault as...
Power, Water Knocked
Out Again Across Ukraine
Oct 31, 2022 6:51 AM CDT
Power, Water Knocked Out Again Across Ukraine
Critical infrastructure hit by Russian missile strikes in Kyiv, Kharkiv; 80% in capital without water
- A massive barrage of Russian strikes on Monday morning hit critical infrastructure in Kyiv, Kharkiv, and other cities, knocking out water and power in apparent retaliation for what Moscow alleged was a Ukrainian attack on its Black Sea Fleet over the weekend. The mayor of Ukraine's capital said 80%...
Menacing Sound Becoming
All Too Familiar in Ukraine
Oct 17, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Menacing Sound Becoming All Too Familiar in Ukraine
Buzzing from kamikaze drones precedes more attacks Monday in Kyiv
- Russia unleashed more attacks on the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv on Monday, this time solely with kamikaze drones made by Iran . While some were shot down, at least five successful strikes caused major damage to buildings and infrastructure and at least three deaths, said Mayor Vitaly Klitschko. Drones are being...
Kamikaze Drone Strikes
Hit Kyiv Region
Oct 13, 2022 2:40 AM CDT
Kamikaze Drone Strikes Hit Kyiv Region
'Critical infrastructure facilities' reportedly hit
- Ukraine’s capital region was struck by Iranian-made kamikaze drones early Thursday, officials said, sending rescue workers rushing to the scene as residents awoke to air raid sirens for the fourth consecutive morning following Russia’s major assault across the country earlier this week. Kyiv regional governor Oleksiy Kuleba said...
Oct 10, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Putin: We Can't 'Leave Such Crimes Unanswered'
Russian leader says new strikes on Kyiv are revenge for bridge attack
- Vladimir Putin is definitely not happy about this weekend's explosion on the bridge between Russia and Crimea, which he slammed as an act of Ukrainian terrorism despite no one yet claiming responsibility. Now, after months of relative calm, the heart of the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv was hit with...
Russians Resume Kyiv Attacks
Jun 26, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Russians Resume Kyiv Attacks
Missiles strike residential buildings in capital
- Russia attacked the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in the early hours of Sunday morning, striking at least two residential buildings, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said, as elsewhere Russian troops consolidated their gains in the east. AP journalists in Kyiv saw rescue services battling flames and rescuing civilians. Klitschko said four people...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.