Doctors Save Boy—After Finding Chopstick in Brain

It went up his nose when he fell
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Mar 6, 2015 6:00 PM CST
Doctors Save Boy—After Finding Chopstick in Brain

He's OK now, but a toddler in China went 10 days with part of a chopstick in his brain. It seems young Hanhang tripped and fell with the chopstick in his hand, and it went straight up his nose, according to a report by Central European News spotted by Fox. His parents saw it happen, removed the chopstick—or so they thought—and took him to the hospital to be safe. Unfortunately, doctors sent him home without realizing that about 2 inches of the chopstick had broken off and was still inside.

“When we got home after our first visit to the hospital, my husband broke all the chopsticks in half and threw them away as we were worried something like this could happen again,” says his mother, Yu Liao. When the boy grew increasingly lethargic and sick, his parents brought him back, and only then did an X-ray reveal the reason. Hanhang showed immediate improvement once it was removed. The Mommy Files blog at the San Francisco Chronicle rounds up two similar stories and concludes, "Note to parents: Chopsticks are to only be handled by children sitting at the dinner table." (The X-ray calls to mind another strange case, this one involving a nail gun.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.