When it comes to hot-button issues, some stars are willing to do more than talk. The Stir rounds up 16 celebrities who've been arrested while protesting. A sampling:
- Susan Sarandon: After an unarmed African immigrant was fatally shot by police in New York City in 1999, Sarandon took to the streets and was arrested during a demonstration against police brutality at NYC police headquarters. The charges were ultimately dropped.
- Woody Harrelson: The actor and other environmentalists scaled the Golden Gate bridge in 1996 to protest logging, disrupting traffic for almost six hours. They were arrested, and Harrelson was ordered to serve 25 hours of community service and pay a $1,000 fine.
- Mos Def: Outside the 2006 VMAs, he staged an impromptu performance to protest the Bush administration's handling of Hurricane Katrina and was arrested mid-performance. No charges were ever filed.
Click for the complete list
- Steve-O: The Jackass star climbed a crane above LA's Sunset Boulevard and hung an inflatable killer whale with the words "SeaWorld Sucks" on it to protest the park's treatment of whales. He was arrested and hit with five misdemeanors, including some related to the fireworks he set off during the scene.
- Bonnie Raitt: She took part in a sit-in outside Chicago to protest logging in 2001, was arrested for disorderly conduct, and ultimately hit with a fine after spending just a few hours in custody.
- Martin Sheen: He's been arrested more than 60 times for taking part in various demonstrations. Enough said.
- Danny Glover: The actor protested after employees of a food service company were laid off for trying to unionize; he yelled, "We're here today to say no more to deplorable pay and working conditions" before officers dragged him away.
, including one actress whose arrest involved surfing. (Read more celebrity