The suspect in the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre was indicted by a federal grand jury Wednesday, four days after 11 people were killed in the deadliest attack on Jews in American history. The indictment, which was expected, charges Robert Bowers with 44 counts, including hate crimes, the AP reports. Federal prosecutors have previously indicated they plan to seek the death penalty. The charges were announced on the second day of funerals for the victims. "Today begins the process of seeking justice for the victims of these hateful acts, and healing for the victims' families, the Jewish community, and our city," US Attorney Scott Brady said in a statement. "Our office will spare no resource, and will work with professionalism, integrity and diligence, in a way that honors the memories of the victims."
Bowers, a 46-year-old truck driver, remained jailed without bail ahead of a preliminary hearing scheduled for Thursday. Authorities say he raged against Jews during the attack. Members of Pittsburgh's grief-stricken Jewish community, meanwhile, endured another round of funerals for the congregants who were gunned down in Saturday's rampage. Melvin Wax, 87, Irving Younger, 69, and Joyce Fienberg, 75, were being laid to rest as part of a weeklong series of services. Six people were wounded in the attack, including four police officers, two of whom remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds. Two congregants were still in the hospital, one in critical condition. In a bit of good news, hospital officials said the two most seriously injured shooting victims are improving. (Thousands protested President Trump's visit to the synagogue.)