Meghan McCain wasn't taking any guff from conservative commentator Denise C. McAllister, and ended up creating a meme with her comeback. McAllister on Monday tweeted a criticism of The View, which McCain co-hosts, asking readers to explain to her the purpose of the show and noting that it seems to her to be "a roundtable of delusional mental midgets ricocheting ignorance and lack of emotional regulation." Along with her thoughts, she included a link to this article specifically referencing McCain's role on the show. McCain's response was simple: "you were at my wedding Denise...." The reaction:
- The Hill says McCain created a "universal clapback," and People calls her response to McAllister "instantly meme-able."
- UProxx rounds up some of those memes, and HuffPost sums the whole thing up like so: "No One Has Been More Eviscerated By Meghan McCain Than Denise, Who Was At Her Wedding."
- As for McAllister, she initially backtracked, telling McCain, "I think the photo on the story made it look like this was personally directed at you, Meghan. My comment was directed at The View and the mental midgets who surround you. I don’t even know how you do it daily and my hat is off to you for standing strong in the midst of crazy."
- But a further perusal of her Twitter feed reveals less charitable reactions, like so: "I have no desire to take the tweet back. The View is crap. My tweet was directed at her coworkers in the context of the article in which she was the only one speaking remotely rational about the Mueller report. Meghan and I are barely aquainted [sic] and we’re not friends."
- McCain seemed to be unfazed: Her response to her tweet's popularity? "'You were at my wedding, Denise...' can be everyone’s clap back to everyone, everywhere, forever. My gift to the internet. Thank you for the support."
(Another tweet that "won the internet" this week? Monica Lewinsky's three little words