Time magazine will unveil its Person of the Year Wednesday, and the shortlist is out today. These are the people editors thought influenced the world the most in 2019:
- Nancy Pelosi: The House speaker has been a key figure in impeachment proceedings against President Trump.
- Donald Trump: The president may become just the third US president to be impeached. He was named Person of the Year in 2016 and has been on the shortlist every year since.
- The whistleblower: Another central impeachment figure, this is the unnamed CIA officer who first raised alarms about Trump's call with the president of Ukraine, triggering the inquiry.
- Rudy Giuliani: The president's personal lawyer has been another big name in the impeachment proceedings.
Read on for the rest of the names, which move on from the impeachment to other high-profile topics.
- Megan Rapinoe: She led the US women's soccer team to a World Cup title while also making headlines for her dislike of the president and her commitment to equal pay and LGBTQ rights.
- Mark Zuckerberg: The Facebook CEO has faced quite a few controversies this year related to privacy, user data, political ads, and more.
- Jacinda Ardern: New Zealand's prime minister gave birth while in office, making her a very high-profile working mom. She was still breastfeeding the 3-month-old when she became the first world leader to bring her infant to a United Nations general assembly meeting. She's also made waves with her commitment to gun control.
- Greta Thunberg: The Swedish 16-year-old is a huge leader in the climate change movement, including leading strikes and protests and speaking at the UN.
- Xi Jinping: China's leader is embroiled in his country's trade war with the US, and also faces pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong protesters: The aforementioned protesters are not happy with a proposed change to China's extradition law that is seen as Beijing attempting to exert more control over Hong Kong.
See more on each member of the list at Time
. (Read more Time's Person of the Year