Rep: TobyMac's Son Died of Accidental Overdose

Truett Foster McKeehan ODed on amphetamines, fentanyl
By Jenn Gidman,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 22, 2020 8:51 AM CST
Rep: TobyMac's Son Died of Accidental Overdose
This Feb. 15, 2016, file photo shows Christian artist TobyMac at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles.   (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)

In October, the 21-year-old son of Christian rapper TobyMac (real name: Kevin McKeehan) died suddenly at his Tennessee home. Now, the cause of Truett Foster McKeehan's death has come to light. A rep for TobyMac tells People that the younger McKeehan accidentally overdosed on a mix of fentanyl and amphetamines. The Davidson County Medical Examiner had reported that medics responded to a 911 call of a person in cardiac arrest on Oct. 23 at the family's home.

TobyMac paid tribute to his son earlier this month with the release of a new song and music video, "21 Years," which he posted on Instagram. "I loved him with all my heart," TobyMac wrote. "Until something in life hits you this hard, you never know how you will handle it. I am thankful that I have been surrounded by love, starting with God's and extending to community near and far." Entertainment Tonight notes that not long before his death, McKeehan, also a rapper like his dad, played his very first show at the Factory in Franklin, Tenn. (TobyMac's tribute to his son.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.