Crystal Ball Wreaks Havoc, Causes $250K in Damage

The house ornament sparked a house fire when sunlight streamed through it, say Wis. fire officials
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Mar 11, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Crystal Ball Wreaks Havoc, Causes $250K in Damage
The Delton Fire Department released this photo of the blaze's aftermath.   (Delton Fire Department)

If a crystal ball in a Wisconsin home had been capable of predicting the future, it would have said, "I'm going to set your house on fire." Fire officials in Delton say the ornamental ball started a fire that caused around $250,000 in damage to a home in the town on Monday afternoon, Today reports. Nobody was injured. Investigators say the crystal ball was on a table in direct sunlight next to a sofa, reports WBNG. Sunlight that came through a large set of windows was intensified by the ball, which ignited the couch. The homeowner called 911 after she arrived home and found thick smoke throughout the house.

"Homeowners should keep items such as crystals, mirrors, glass ornaments, and even bottles away from direct sunlight and particularly away from anything flammable," the Delton Fire Department said in a Facebook post. "These items can act just like a magnifying glass and focus sunlight so that the energy, which would normally be spread out over a wide area, is delivered to a much smaller point." (More house fire stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.